Luring (Michael Ellis) + It's Yer Choice (Susan Garrett) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 02:30 PM Thread Starter

Luring (Michael Ellis) + It's Yer Choice (Susan Garrett)

So I have some questions about methods.

I really like Michael Ellis' videos.

The base of the program is of course "The Power Of Training Dogs With Food".

This video is all about luring as it's the main methodology he uses for basic obedience. He even goes as far as to say that in teaching your dog to be lured in the initial steps the dog needs to be pushing against your hand with their snout. This is an awfully hard thing to accomplish with a dog that nips and mugs at a treat.

However, I really like the idea behind Susan Garrett's "It's Yer Choice". Can a dog that is accomplished at It's Yer Choice still be lured into so many positions readily...or do these two behaviors go directly against one another?

My 5 year old male has a mugging problem. Even with Ellis' explained delivery system I still get nipped in the hand practically every time I reward him.

It's Yer Choice looks like a great way to teach him it's not an appropriate way to take his treat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:09 PM
Master Member

I find that my dog takes treats differently depending on how I present them.

If I hold a treat between the tips of two fingers, or make a throwing/dropping motion, there's a good chance my fingers will feel teeth.

If I hold the treat on my open palm, she takes it very gently. Same if I hold the treat between two fingers, but cup my palm (facing down), turning it into a muzzle-like shape - she just works her nose right in there and takes the treat very nicely.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:34 PM Thread Starter

I should've posted this for clarification.

The following is how ME instructs delivery. He even goes over why it's a method to use to prevent this type of behavior.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mwBzjIGAkE

I certainly don't put it in the tips of my fingers...that's a recipe for disaster.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 03:56 PM

As with anything, it can depend on your dog. My personal opinion is that for most dogs, it really shouldn't be a problem. My girl (non-GSD) is HUGELY food motivated, and we play a lot of It's Yer Choice(we love this game!). But, we also do a lot of luring! -Successfully, I might add.

A dog can absolutely have intensity and enthusiasm while learning/knowing the limits and boundaries of appropriate ways to take a treat. That being said, be sure to keep in mind any corrections or withholding of rewards while your dog is in the learning stages - or even when they're in a higher state of arousal. My dog can get a little sloppy about her rewards when she's really pumped - which I don't mind, as long as she doesn't cross the line.

- Kayla

Dover von Ziegeln Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 04:36 PM

With an overzealous dog I have held the treat in my palm,thumb over treat,but in my fist.Dog bumps my fist with his nose,pulls his head back slightly.Then I open my fist and he takes the treat.This dog would try to eat my hand in his excitement but the fist method worked perfectly!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 05:43 PM
Crowned Member

And this is why a lot of people use gloves! To protect the hands!!

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-29-2015, 07:21 PM
Crowned Member

If your dog isn't naturally a pusher for the food you have to create the behavior. Leerburg has a fun way of editing necessary information out sometimes.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-30-2015, 03:43 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tylernim View Post
So I have some questions about methods.

I really like Michael Ellis' videos.

The base of the program is of course "The Power Of Training Dogs With Food".

This video is all about luring as it's the main methodology he uses for basic obedience. He even goes as far as to say that in teaching your dog to be lured in the initial steps the dog needs to be pushing against your hand with their snout. This is an awfully hard thing to accomplish with a dog that nips and mugs at a treat.

However, I really like the idea behind Susan Garrett's "It's Yer Choice". Can a dog that is accomplished at It's Yer Choice still be lured into so many positions readily...or do these two behaviors go directly against one another?

My 5 year old male has a mugging problem. Even with Ellis' explained delivery system I still get nipped in the hand practically every time I reward him.

It's Yer Choice looks like a great way to teach him it's not an appropriate way to take his treat.
I don't think it'll be much help. If you go back to that type of luring, he's probably still going to mug your hand unless you show him not to. Try telling him easy and either give him a little bop with your hand or push it at him and release it to him when he quits the biting.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page