post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Relaxed pet dog training

This I love:
https://paws4udogs.wordpress.com/201...ortant-to-you/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:05 PM

That's a refreshing perspective.Thanks for posting!

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Thanks for sharing this! I enjoyed it. Especially:

Quote:
Here’s the thing: we each train what’s important to us. What I find important with my pets and what you feel are a priority may be very different, and that’s okay.
It's easy to get hung up obsessively comparing. And as the wise Mr. Roosevelt once said, "Comparison is the thief of joy." So true.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:23 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

It's basically how I always have trained and lived with my dogs. I thought that this would not be enough for a WL GSD before I ever got one and the reason I didn't for a long time. But it works beautifully as long as you have fun with them.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 02:35 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfy dog View Post
It's basically how I always have trained and lived with my dogs. I thought that this would not be enough for a WL GSD before I ever got one and the reason I didn't for a long time. But it works beautifully as long as you have fun with them.
I'm assuming you had show lines and then got a working line? Did you notice any big differences or changes in what you have to do, or your day to day life?
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:37 PM
Crowned Member

Fair enough.

The only caveat I would suggest, as an abundance of caution is: don't allow your dog to intrude on other people's space.

I'm always bringing up about how we shouldn't assume we have the 'right' to pet every dog that walks by us in public.

The same is true of people who don't want a dog on them or sniffing them.

If you do have guests and don't want to train them to not jump on guests, crate them at least.

If you don't have any leash control out in public areas and the dog wants to run up on every stranger for a sniff, make sure to choke up on the lead a bit to keep them from doing that. If you can't control your dog and don't want to do that training, don't take them out in public.

I love dogs but I personally get so frustrated when I go into a house and I've got three full grown weimaraners with huge long claws leaping up on me and scratching me. I just cannot stand that.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 03:58 PM
Elite Member

Gwen, agree. Also, there's a lot of benefit to training stuff you may not like to train or may not prioritize in real life. I do IPO tracking with a dog I never intend to trial, because he loves it and it builds his confidence and his bond with me. There aren't many other ways we could do this, and so I take the time.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 04:06 PM
Knighted Member

I think it's fine unless what you are doing (or not doing) is inconsiderate and/or endangering others. My Newlie is far from perfect so you would think I would be raving about this article, but I am a little wary of the "do whatever feels good to you" type of philosophy as too often it comes at the expense of others. I am not saying that the author is advocating that, I can just see a lot of people latching on to it as a excuse for not doing what they know they should be doing.
post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 04:11 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlie View Post
I think it's fine unless what you are doing (or not doing) is inconsiderate and/or endangering others. My Newlie is far from perfect so you would think I would be raving about this article, but I am a little wary of the "do whatever feels good to you" type of philosophy as too often it comes at the expense of others. I am not saying that the author is advocating that, I can just see a lot of people latching on to it as a excuse for not doing what they know they should be doing.
I think the "do whatever feels good" philosophy should only apply after a certain base/minimum level of training & socialization has been achieved. Not everyone needs an IPO3 superstar, but everyone does need a calm, obedient dog.
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 12-20-2015, 04:46 PM

People in my area (very dog friendly/no leash laws) generally are happy with taking their dogs out in the local fields or hiking trails off leash, when they have a recall that is nowhere near reliable. In general the dogs will run up to mine (who I usually leash when I see other dogs approaching in case the approaching dog turns out to be aggressive) and at best they try to tackle and play with my leashed dog, and at worst attack him. The owners generally have no problem with this and look at me like I'm ridiculous when I ask them to please leash or not allow their dogs to approach.
Ive not really ever seen someone be apologetic whether their dog is friendly/rude or aggressive. People also are fine with bringing their dogs to the local horse stables and letting them loose to bother people and jump up on and scratch people's cars.
Thats an acceptable level of training to a ton of people here and not fun for the people whose dog's are getting attacked or whose cars are getting scratched up.... not fun to have a pack of 4 large dogs with questionable body language running at you when you are walking two leashed dogs and their owner has no control.

When I'm out hiking I've had so many people comment on how happy they were that I was in control of my dogs and didn't allow them to run up and jump on them like most dogs they run into.

One of my favorite things about where I live is that its so dog friendly... but its things like these- people having their dogs run around untrained and being a nuisance to others that cause dogs to get banned from so many places and strict leash laws put in place.

Theres my little rant lol. I guess to say that I love the article for the most part and I think it makes a great point but I also think that being considerate of others should be a definite priority for so many reasons. Particularly when you are leaving your own house and property. If you want to allow dogs to jump on and bother your own personal guests, that fine I guess, but when it comes to the general public there are certain manners any dog should have.

I really like the article though in general!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page