Do you take your dog everywhere with you? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Do you take your dog everywhere with you?

First of all, we live in Nebraska, we will be picking up our 8 week old puppy in January. He is a long-coated GSD, so hopefully he will be a little more acclimated to the cold weather, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on taking dogs in the car with him?

I do not work in a place where I can take my dog to work with him, so we are going to crate train him, and I will be able to come home during lunch and let him out and let him go for a little walk. He will live in a play pen while I am at work.

But for when I am home, and have to run errands, should I bring him with me? Is taking a young pup with me in a car everywhere a good idea? I plan on leaving him mostly at home until he is vaccinated, because I do not want him to get sick, but after that, do you take your dogs with you when you run to Walmart really quick? Or do you only take a dog when you are going to a pet store/ somewhere that is dog friendly? I mean I don't run THAT many errands, usually I come home after work and spend time with the cats, so it won't be that different to spend time with the puppy. But, during the weekends my husband and I do our grocery shopping and all that jazz.

~Deanna
Bruce - Born Nov. 9th 2015, Pick up Jan. 6th 2016
At the Bridge:
Max - With us August 24th 2015 - December 16th 2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 01:42 PM

I take mine wherever I can. And If I can't take him, I usually run that errand on a day that I don't also have to work. I'm in the same boat as you though. I had him since he was 8 weeks. I worked the classic 8-5 monday-Friday shift. I came home at lunch to let him out, and he is out all evening lol. It works just know that they take a good bit of exercising, especially if they have been asleep all night then in the cage till 5 basically. I plan on a good 2 hours after work of play and running. But he is 1 year old now, in the height of his puppyhood. When he was 8 weeks old he could be tired out in 20 minutes haha
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 01:54 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
First of all, we live in Nebraska, we will be picking up our 8 week old puppy in January. He is a long-coated GSD, so hopefully he will be a little more acclimated to the cold weather, but I was wondering what people's opinions were on taking dogs in the car with him?

I do not work in a place where I can take my dog to work with him, so we are going to crate train him, and I will be able to come home during lunch and let him out and let him go for a little walk. He will live in a play pen while I am at work.

But for when I am home, and have to run errands, should I bring him with me? Is taking a young pup with me in a car everywhere a good idea? I plan on leaving him mostly at home until he is vaccinated, because I do not want him to get sick, but after that, do you take your dogs with you when you run to Walmart really quick? Or do you only take a dog when you are going to a pet store/ somewhere that is dog friendly? I mean I don't run THAT many errands, usually I come home after work and spend time with the cats, so it won't be that different to spend time with the puppy. But, during the weekends my husband and I do our grocery shopping and all that jazz.
I try to take at least one with me everywhere I go, fall through spring. I would advise a crate for a puppy, car sickness could be a problem, as well as inappropriate chewing.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:28 PM
zio

My one year old LOVES to do errands rather than being left home...in fact on rainy days he enjoys just sleeping in the back of my car whether I go anywhere or not
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 02:34 PM
Crowned Member

I take Fritz everywhere...Toronto, Ottawa, towns in between..shopping, friends! He is the best traveller I have ever had..there are times people are in the car with me, they did not realize he was in the back until I got him out. In the winter, I try not to take him when I have shopping to do. Enjoy

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:08 PM
Master Member

I take Liza everywhere I can that allows dogs.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MineAreWorkingline View Post
I try to take at least one with me everywhere I go, fall through spring. I would advise a crate for a puppy, car sickness could be a problem, as well as inappropriate chewing.
We are going to be having to drive to pick him up when we get him, it is a 6 hour drive, we may try to break it up over 2 days to make it easier on him. So we are going to be able to gage pretty well then how he handles the car. If he is car sick, we will be purchasing a kennel ASAP (we will bring his kennel with us for that first trip, just to be safe, but it will be his house kennel, we'll get another for the car if car rides are a problem). But if he doesn't get sick, we will move his kennel into the house and just get him a seat belt, I'm thinking the Champion k9 outfitters one.

~Deanna
Bruce - Born Nov. 9th 2015, Pick up Jan. 6th 2016
At the Bridge:
Max - With us August 24th 2015 - December 16th 2015
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:02 PM
Crowned Member

I take at least one, sometimes 3 of mine with on errands. They love going and are quiet, well behaved dogs.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 04:19 PM

my dog(s) are with me often.... whether they can go inside, wait outside or wait in the car... if they're going to be a part of my life then I include them in as many parts as I can and get them accustom to that from day one. that said if they couldn't handle any of the above I would hold off awhile but it's always what I'm working towards. I live in an area that as far as weather and safety, I feel comfortable doing so.... it's been that way since getting my first dog as an adult and each dog has helped the next.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 12-18-2015, 08:46 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wags View Post
We are going to be having to drive to pick him up when we get him, it is a 6 hour drive, we may try to break it up over 2 days to make it easier on him.
Six hours should be fine. We had a 10 hour drive home with Dena, and it really wasn't a problem. Definitely crate him for the ride.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page