No prong collars allowed? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

No prong collars allowed?

I have been checking out some options for different training classes around here since Bruno has excelled and enjoyed Nosework so much and have noticed that many of them state 'No Prong or Pinch Collars allowed'. Is that common? Would it affect your decision to take a class?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:12 PM
Elite Member

It wouldn't make a difference to me. imo you should be able to control a dog with a flat collar.

Maybe they are a bit prejudiced against prongs or have seen pinch and prongs used badly and simply don't want to deal with them.

I can't see some one using prong for a dog doing nose work any ways.
post #3 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:18 PM
Crowned Member

I don't like when it's a 'one size fits all' type of class, a trainer should be able to change directions and work with multiple types. What works for one dog may not work for another

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:21 PM
Knighted Member

Are you asking specifically about not using prong collars during a Nose Work class? I think many of them don't allow them because they are not allowed at trials. So, if a Nose Work class stated "no prongs" I would not be deterred. We don't use them in our classes. If it was a regular obedience class, I would probably not attend, but that's just because my dog responds really well to the prong and not so well to other correction devices.

Train the dog in front of you.
post #5 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Elite Member

I remember taking Nara through obedience classes in VA and they would not allow prongs. At the time, Nara was still a puppy, and I wasn't using prongs. It wasn't until she grew older, matured and was big and strong and pulling on walks that we started with a prong per her breeders recommendation. This seemed to be the easy way out for us. I was against the use of prongs up until that point, but I tried the prong on myself before trying it on Nara. It didn't hurt, and once she was wearing it, the pulling stopped instantly. It was a "miracle." Over time, I realized the prong was a crutch, because as soon as it came off, Nara was smart enough to know it and resort back to her pulling ways. Teaching HEEL was a better option, and I also hired a positive reinforcement behaviorist to work with us. She was the one who recommended the Softouch Concepts no-pull Sensation and/or Sensible harness. I bought one for Paw Paw, our bred-to-pull Siberian Husky, and also one for Nara. So, like the "crutch" of a prong, the harness was also a crutch that worked when they wore it, but didn't work when they were back on a flat collar. Back to HEEL training.
post #6 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

I actually meant other classes besides nosework (obedience, dock diving, etc). But prong collars are actually required in the nosework class I am in right now. We don't really use them during the search itself but the class I'm in is really big on control - the dog must be under control as he/she is waiting for their turn to search. This means dogs must remain in a sit/down, quietly waiting and not showing interest in the other dogs who are sitting next to them and also on their approach to the search area (no pulling allowed) - this was more of an issue once they learned "the game" and rarely needed now that they know 'the rules'.
post #7 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:49 PM
Administrator

I met one of the women who's part of the Waukesha scentwork group (not sure if this is one you've looked into or not). We were talking about something else, and I believe she said that since they train under a trademarked name ("K9 Nose Work®") all policies apply, verbatim, no exceptions, and maybe that includes collar restrictions?

In a more general sense, I think almost every all-breed training place I've been lately doesn't allow them. The agility/pool facility in New Berlin prohibits them on the grounds, and I saw someone get yelled at in the parking lot when I stopped to check the place out. I was thinking about taking my dogs swimming there over the winter, and remember making a mental note to leave everything even remotely "chain-looking" in the car out of sight so I don't get yelled at. I don't really agree with this policy, but since they're the only dog pool in the area, I'll go anyway.
post #8 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIBackpacker View Post
The agility/pool facility in New Berlin prohibits them on the grounds, and I saw someone get yelled at in the parking lot when I stopped to check the place out. I was thinking about taking my dogs swimming there over the winter, and remember making a mental note to leave everything even remotely "chain-looking" in the car out of sight so I don't get yelled at. I don't really agree with this policy, but since they're the only dog pool in the area, I'll go anyway.
This was one of sites where I saw it! I don't think my dogs need a prong collar to go swimming but I thought it was odd to ban them from being used during a private swim session.
post #9 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayzieGSD View Post
This was one of sites where I saw it! I don't think my dogs need a prong collar to go swimming but I thought it was odd to ban them from being used during a private swim session.
Ha! Yeah, I was really excited when I saw their website - non-frozen winter exercise? Yes please. They definitely enforce the policy, even in the parking lot. No prongs, no chains, no chokes, probably no fursavers or look-a-likes either.
post #10 of 39 (permalink) Old 12-11-2015, 01:05 PM
No Stinkin' Leashes Moderator

I took nosework classes with Andrew Ramsey, which at the time were at his house. All the dogs were crated, and brought out one at a time to work, and then returned to their crates. For the search we could use either a flat collar or a harness.

I've never taken a group class of any kind where prongs were allowed, which is fine by me. I figure I can use whatever I want on my own time. But I prefer to do initial training without any special equipment, although I have used the front hook Sense-ation harnesses, which I like for a dog that's still learning to walk nicely on leash, or gets really excited going in and out of a class.

-Debbie-
Cava 1/6/18
Keefer 8/25/05-4/24/19 ~ The sweetest boy
Halo 11/9/08-6/17/18 ~ You left pawprints on our hearts
Dena 9/12/04-10/4/08 ~ Forever would have been too short
Cassidy 6/8/00-10/4/04
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page