Advice needed, please! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Advice needed, please!

Just a little background..

Kali, our 13 month old GSD has been in training through a very good training company and went through basic obedience, advanced obedience and the puppy star AKC program and has done great. We bring her to daycare M-F due to my fiancé and I having to work 9 hours a day. We used to take her to the dog park 7 days a week and she has done great with other dogs. She indeed has to have a prong collar when on walks; she responds really well to it and in the case of another dog passing by..

Fast forward to now..

Her daycare has mentioned that Kali is "aggressive" and she has not been playing with other dogs. At the moment they don't have any other dogs that are compatible with Kali (AKA no GSDs, haha!). Kali has a couple best friend GSDs at daycare that she used to play with nonstop and has done great with. I am concerned that Kali is aggressive. She has never bit another dog or a person and the daycare lady is making me freak out a little bit! She said Kali is real mouthy, but has never had any intent on "killing" or "hurting" another dog.

Is there such a thing as behavior modification training?? We aren't interested in like basic obedience because she is great with sit, stay, come, walking on a lead, etc. She gets A LOT of socialization, but something is obviously missing to have her act "aggressive" at day care towards some dogs..The daycare people have to introduce her on a lead, which DOES NOT help the situation at all!

If you have any advice, please respond! We are having her evaluated tomorrow by a private trainer that we have never used before, hoping maybe a new set of eyes and thinking may have something to offer us.

Thank you!

Arielle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:43 PM
Crowned Member

German Shepherds play loud and rough. It looks and sounds like they are killing each other. They are misunderstood by other breeds and that is most likely where a fight might come into play. My female GSD is more vocal then the males. My males slam each other into the fence. This kind of play can freak out people that don't know the breed and its a big reason they don't always do well in dog park or dog daycare settings. I've never considered not letting mine play like that, it's who they are, so I'm not sure if you can train who they are out of them. They aren't being aggressive at all. Not sure if this is what is going on with yours. If it is, then doggie daycare person would be mortified by mine and think they were killers.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:46 PM Thread Starter

I don't want to train that out of her and agree with you, they are more rough, which i am used to and I can totally agree that other dogs may not be used to that which can trigger a reaction from them (resulting in a fight).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:48 PM
Crowned Member

So is she aggressive? Frustrated? Just being a GSD and they don't understand it?

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter

Well, I am not sure the exact definition of aggressive. The lady was describing it as Kali is very vocal and mouthy and it triggers other dogs who are not that way. When I asked her if Kali was aggressive, she said, "to be honest, yes she is" but, I don't know what she thinks is aggressive. The word aggressive freaks me out!
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:55 PM
Knighted Member

Rough play indeed, I can't imagine what the neighbors on the other side of our privacy fence think some days. Maybe you can observe her at your daycare without her knowing. Would you be able to tell the difference in her behavior that the daycare person can't?

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 09:58 PM Thread Starter

Ya, maybe I should. I would be able to tell the difference in a heart beat. She could also associate the daycare ladies as family and is trying to protect them? I am so glad you guys understand!
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:05 PM
Crowned Member

Vocal and mouthy is not aggressive, that is a good definition of all of mine but mainly the female--she is really loud. Yes it can set other dogs off because they take it the wrong way. I would probably either find another day care or have someone come in and let her out during the day. You don't want a fight to happen and your dog gets blamed for it because they already think she is aggressive. No matter what it will be her fault. You really are putting her in a dangerous situation.what if there is a fight and the person breaking it up gets bit, then your dog has a bite record and could be considered dangerous. It's not fair to her. I'm not trying to be mean but give a different perspective.

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:17 PM Thread Starter

thank you so much for your advice! I think we will find Kali a new daycare. They are making me feel bad and it's important to me that she be somewhere that she is loved and not "feared".
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-10-2015, 10:29 PM
Elite Member

My friend ran into this with her boxer female. The daycare started isolating Ruby for being "aggressive" and one worker told my friend privately that Ruby was fine, but rambunctious, which the other workers did not want to deal with.

My friend felt she was picking up her dog from the principal's office. She stopped taking her to daycare and left her home where she was not in "trouble." Ultimately, she did not want Ruby to be isolated as that was not why she was paying for daycare.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page