What do you guys think about this training method? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 09:39 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

What do you guys think about this training method?

I see alot of gun dog people training this way. They use a figure 8, while the dog is attached to a stationary chain. It is used to teach patience and self control.

Hunt Smith - What is a Figure 8?

Is this something that has been used in training GSD?

Linc Remington vom Sequoyah Haus, "Remi"- D.O.B 2/3/14

Pedigree:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:16 PM
Crowned Member

hadn't heard of it before now, but I do know that gundogs are very different than GSDs.

With a German Shepherd you have the full package and I would not think such a tactic would bring out the best in a 'thinking' breed. In fact, I'm not sure I'd test a Lab with it.

Just my opinion.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:37 PM
Banned

Well I won't say it can't work but I can say it's not anything I will be doing! If I had a "barking dog problem" can't imagine??? It happening but let's go with it!

I "would" use a proper "Bark Collar" and RTFM! (Read the Freaking Manual). I would do that instead of the figure eight thing. Because I don't want my dogs to "think" that coming to me means they are going to have a weird noose strapped across there face.

And yes I have used a proper muzzle in the distant past on Rocky and he had no issues with it.

Figure Eight thing is not anything I would every do myself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-19-2015, 10:49 PM
Knighted Member

It makes me feel a little squeamish, maybe it just reminds me too much of the dog that had her muzzle taped shut. I realize it's not the same thing, of course, but still I can't see myself ever using it. I guess in the hands of the right people, it could be a tool, but I would worry about the wrong people using it...
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 AM
Knighted Member

I am going to bump this up, I would like to see what other people think, maybe I am just being silly...
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 11:43 AM

I don't like it at all.It's a great way to get bit and I don't see how the dog would associate the "8" with not barking?? There are better ways to make it clear to the dog not to bark.My two cents

Terri

Samson Blk/Slvr GSD. RN
Misty Husky Mix
Z-Z Terrier/potato mix
Devo Yorkie Mix at the bridge
Dakota Wht GSD at the bridge
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 12:45 PM

I don't like it, I don't like the idea of causing "swelling" or "abrasion" as a form of training, and I am definitely not all positive. If it can cause sores from barking it can also cause sores from panting, drinking, licking themselves, eating, etc. And just like dogs get collar smart, they would also learn to only bark when they are not wearing this contraption. Also, hunting dogs must not be terribly adept at making noises with their mouths closed, unlike, you know, German Shepherds.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 03:14 PM
Crowned Member

I am not a professional, but to my mind this would teach your dog to run away every time you approached it with a rope. That seems bad.
I also struggle with the idea that when your dog barks you put it on. So when your dog barks, essentially, you come and pet it's head. Reward?
Not to mention that I have seen Shadow and Buddy bark their fool heads off while wearing an exam muzzle, I have had both also bark while I am holding their mouths closed. And a rope around their face? I think not.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 04:59 PM

Maybe I am way to protective over LJ but I nor would I allow anyone to EVER do this to him. It just seems wrong. If you are training your dog appropriately you should not need to take it to this extreme. LJ was a barking, jumping, mouthing, herding disaster a few months ago and believe me I am in no way a professional trainer but all it took was some time, patience, consistancy, and love and now he is a completely different dog. It was never him that was the problem...it was me!!! I think this could be asking for an aggressive reaction. But just my own opinion
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 10-20-2015, 05:45 PM
Elite Member

Looks like another way to break a dog. A cureall instead of properly training a dog. I like how its compared to FBI interrogation and breaking a prisoner....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page