What do you know about Sit means Sit as a training program - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

What do you know about Sit means Sit as a training program

Last thursday Charlie and my husband and I went to Sit Means Sitfor a demonstration. The lady who owns this facility is mnamed Meliissa.The demo involved attaching a collar with what she explained was a TENS Unit to it and using it to keep the dog focused on heeling and following direction. Im attaching the paper work that Ninadog(Pat) found and put on my thread Charlie is here.I would like opinions and also what would you recommend with a sight impaired dog. Her vision is improving. Our vet Toni believes its almost comletely correctable in one eye but the other it is unlikely.
So here are my questions:
1.what do you think about Sit Means Sit?Im reluctant b/c I dont want to scare Charlie but me losing it when she slips her lead isnot benefical either.
2. What training methods would you use with a 3 year old female GSD who prior to her rescue didnt ever experience any restrant or commands? She is happiest just running around ,no leash.

I need to work on her dog reactivity but I think its b/c she cant see.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 02:15 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I've no personal experience with Sit Means Sit, but this is what I do know:

- They are a franchise. Anybody can purchase the franchise and presto, you have a training business. No previous experience neccessary.

- You HAVE to train using the SMS training methods, which is E-collar training. It is aversive/punishement training of zapping the dog when they make a bad choice (I'm not sure how they go about showing the dog what the right choice is - to me, showing the dog what to do is training, zapping the dog just confuses dogs and shuts them down - though e-collar training can be very effective in the right hands of very knowledgeable and experienced trainers).

Operators of a franchise have to pay the owner a monthly fee, and I heard it is substancial - so the operators are under quota to make a certain amount each month.

Some SMS trainers go into it with already a lot of dog training experience and are very good at what they do. Some just know how to teach sit and beg and consider themselves trainers when they sign up. I've seen videos of trainers with happy, connected, eager dogs enjoying the work, and I've seen videos of trainers with disconnected dogs that seem to sleep walk in a haze through their obedience routines. So the results you would get would depend on the experience level of the trainer (and not just SMS training experience).

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 10-13-2015, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Thanks Castlemaid. Melissa works with blind dogs and deaf dogs. I had the collar onmy arm ,2 was like a bug crawling 5 was uncomfortable but not painful.I still very unsure but im not finding anyone with experiece with a sight impaired dog. I liked the lady and she had her GSd there . His name is Echo and she was very gentle w/ Charlie.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page