2 week shut down questions! - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Kyleigh

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM Thread Starter

2 week shut down questions!

Okay I have read a bunch of old articles but I still have a question.
I brought Titus home Sunday night. Titus lived with his breeder as he was the pick of the litter but she decided to retire. Titus has been a working dog with livestock, outdoor only dog. Fast forward to my home. My dogs are pampered family pets.
So the crate is all new to him. He fights to go inside the crate but once he is in, he lays down and is calm. Would you still suggest the two week crate or leash method with a dog that has been accustom to being out and having a job? I worry he will shut down more.
He is crated while I am at work but when I get home I let him free. All he wants to do is lay at my feet His appetite is not what is should be either. He nibbles but does not finish a meal. I want to integrate into my family and have him feel loved and secure.
Any advice would be amazing. He is a beautiful animal and I want him to be happy with his family!

Athena- Long Coat GSD -CGC
Sinister Black- GSD
Nemesis- GSD
Titus- GSD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 PM
Crowned Member

I understood the 2 week shutdown to allow the dog to get used to his new home and environment without the stress of meeting lots of new people and other dogs. That to me, does not mean crating or leashing the dog for that period. I do agree with you that to do so, especially to your new dog who was used to an active outdoor life, could cause the dog to shut down. If you have a secure fenced-in yard with a shelter, perhaps you could leave the dog outside while you are at work. If your other dogs are loose inside the house, and the new dog get along with them, perhaps, you can let him be loose also. Or block off one room with a dog gate for the new dog. I would take him for walks with your other dogs. With exercise and outdoor actiivty, his appetite should improve.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

Athena's Mom great question. Charlie our new rescue was used to be outside constantly. You and Marybeth both talked about what I think I was missing.Sounds like your Titus is also trying to adjust.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:13 AM
Banned

My rescue was an outside only dog as well. She had (and still has) access outside via a doggy door, with a room to come into that is shut off from the rest of the house while I'm gone.

I didn't do the two week shut down fully. She didn't meet other dogs or people, but I still took her outside for long walks. She went crazy without the exercise, and the first day being crated left her very very unhappy. As soon as I realized that, and have her access to the backyard at her will, she was happier by far!

Is it possible to do the same? Install a doggy door so she can come and go, and block off that room from the rest of the house? My laundry room shuts off from the rest of the house with a door, and it's at the back of the house so the doggie door is installed in the back door. The laundry room is air conditioned, and her bed, toys (that she never plays with) and water dish are in the laundry room.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:28 AM
Crowned Member

A room that could be blocked off would be best for now until he has adjusted. If left freedom of the hole house would heighten his anxiety and cause further shutdown.

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 10:39 AM
Knighted Member

There was a thread on here about 2 years ago about the two week shutdown. There was also a lot of controversy around it.

The gist of it was mainly for rescue dogs. The purpose was to give them a solid two weeks of just observing their new environment, feeling the vibes in the house, seeing, smelling and hearing everything that goes on around the house.

A lot of people thought it meant that the dog was crated for two weeks straight - which is not the case. BUT, if you have other dogs in the house, the "rescue" was in the crate in the living room while the other dogs got a chance to sniff, greet (one at a time) and check out the new dog. This also gave the rescue dog a chance to sniff, greet and check out who he would be living with.

The rescue dog would also be "attached" to the owner, by leash, and follow them around the house to see what it's all about. Depending on circumstances (i.e. aggression, other dogs, etc.) it was modified to ensure that everyone was safe.

The two week shut down did NOT encourage walks anywhere but just to keep the dog in the house or the backyard.

There was some controversy about this as well - exercise being a concern, and another issue was people that don't have backyards.

Walking in early morning / later in the evening seemed to be the optimal solution. The purpose was to not put any stress on the rescue dog until it had a chance to settle down.

The 2-week shutdown was brought up in one post because so many people were bringing their new "rescues" out to meet all their friends, family, neighbours, dogs, etc. and there were a lot of negative reactions from the rescue. Everyone wanted to show off their new dog - but it was causing so much stress on the dog that some of them bit, showed aggression to their new owner, became destructive, etc.

If you search for two week shut down on this site, you will definitely find some threads that will cover more information than I have provided here.

Personally, I think it's a great idea to limit what the "rescue" comes in contact with for the first couple of weeks. There is ZERO bond with "you" and this dog. He will NOT look to you for guidance during the first couple of days that you have him, because he doesn't have a clue who you are, what you are going to do, and how you are going to react. IMO, so much damage can be done to the dog (and those in its environment) by traipsing it all over the place when there is no bond at all.

IMO, give the dog a chance to bond with you, then start out slow. You also need to see what this dog is capable of (or not), how he's going to react (or not) and what he's going to react to (or not!)
das1 likes this.

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 12:27 PM
Crowned Member

KylieghI havent taken Charlie anywhere but the vetsand we havent had company other then our son however tonight my SIL and her family (two people total are coming over ).they want to meet our new girl. I think that violates the two week shutdown ideal. I hate to keep her in the basement all night or in the crate. Really does not like the crate but tolereates it. Kind of like Titus.

Daisy 11/26/99-7/25/12
Miss Chevy Cruz - 1/25/2013-1/29/15
Thunder -1/25/13 -7/25/15
Lucky-GSD -Rescue -2/16/03 - 03-21-16
Charlie- GSD-Rescue - 7-4-12
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-25-2015, 01:39 PM
Knighted Member

Daisy & Lucky's Mom ... LOL ... I have no comment on what you guys are doing, I was just trying to fill in some of the blanks the OP had ... with a bit of an explanation as to what it was about!!!

And yeah, it would, but I didn't necessarily agree with everything about it either LOL ... I was just writing what everyone talked about 2 years ago!!!!

Have fun with Charlie!

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page