Personal Training or Trainer Training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 02:55 AM Thread Starter

Post Personal Training or Trainer Training

Hi there,

I'm pretty sure this topic exists somewhere but can't seem to find it...
I want to give my GSD (5 mo now) some "police-dog training": Attack on command, stop, guard, etc. He now sort of knows basic commands like come, sit, heel and stay.

Police squad in my town offers training, and I'm considering that, but a lot of people say that it's a lot more efficient if the owner himself does all the training (it's more personal I guess).

What do you think? Which method should I choose better? Also, what is a good time to start this type of training, is 6 mo to early?

Thank you so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:05 AM
Banned

Well from my point of view as JQP slightly above average "pet person" it sounds kinda "insane!!" But let's see what more knowledgeable folks have to say.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 03:06 AM
Master Member

Why do you need the dog to attack on command? Personal protection? Protecting property? Sport competitions? Or just for the **** of it? Different intentions will result in different training approaches.

If I were you, short of absolutely needing the dog for personal protection or a strong desire to compete in dog sports, I'd focus on training obedience and leave the bite work to professionals. Don't play with fire, so to speak.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 06:50 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul.cheteles View Post
Hi there,

I'm pretty sure this topic exists somewhere but can't seem to find it...
I want to give my GSD (5 mo now) some "police-dog training": Attack on command, stop, guard, etc. He now sort of knows basic commands like come, sit, heel and stay.

Police squad in my town offers training, and I'm considering that, but a lot of people say that it's a lot more efficient if the owner himself does all the training (it's more personal I guess).

What do you think? Which method should I choose better? Also, what is a good time to start this type of training, is 6 mo to early?

Thank you so much!
Castlemaid, one of the administrators on the forum answered these 3 questions that I had regarding protection traing for my 13 month old male.

At what age would a dog begin PP training?

Depends on the dog. Puppies can start foundation work from the time they are a few weeks old. Foundation work usually consists of drive building, grip developement, and making the 'work' fun and rewarding, so they are very comfortable with what is being asked of them as they get older, and the work becomes more serious with real stress added in.

Some dogs do best when left to mentally mature before introduced to protection work. Experienced handlers/owners/trainers can determine what approach will work best for each dog.

What level of obedience training does a dog need to reach before beginning PP?

This is a really difficult one to answer, because there is no universal or widely accepted levels of 'Obedience Training' or 'Personal Protection' training. Unless you are participating in a sanctioned event, like AKC obedience wich has set exercises, or IPO, which also has set exercises, trainers usually set their own training levels. I've seen 'advanced obedience' classes that to me were pretty much basic obedience, and so on. There is no set levels of Personal Protection training - some trainers will teach your dog to bark when on a line, and call it Protection training. I've seen trainers on-line advertise different levels of PP training, going into detail what each level is, but they are levels that THEY themselves made up. If someone came to me and said "My dog is trained to Level 3 PP, it can mean ANYTHING!

Obedience is about control Do you have control of your dog? Do you have a relationship and engagement with your dog? This is not about teaching a dog to sit, or heel, or do a front position. This is about your dog listening to you and respecting you. That comes from on-going work and on-going obedience exercises to establish that control under extreme distraction. In IPO, it can take two to three years of intense, constant training to get to that point, just to give you an example.

After the dog is fully trained, would he return occasionally for something like a refresher course. Thank you.

Depending on what you expect from your dog, 'fully trained' can take a long time, and a big commitment. The main thing the dog is trained to do is to have confidence in himself and hang on come high or low water when going for a bite on a person that might fight back, and trained to be responsive to the handler - so the protection part is something that comes naturally to most dogs (assuming they have the temperament), but the control part is the hard part that takes years of work. Refresher trainind is to maintain that control, and will be required for the life of the dog. I think most people who are serious about having a PP do at least weekly training sessions - monthly at the very minimum.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-11-2015, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

Hey Paul. Out of curiosity, where do you live? I can't imagine the police doing protection training in the states for liability reasons among a million other things. Other thing you said your dog is somewhat trained. That needs to be improved to your dog having VERY GOOD obedience. Not all dogs can or should be protection trained. But start with the obedience.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 09-14-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for your replies and concerns. I live in Romania, I'm pretty sure there are no laws here that forbid certain types of training

Plus, don't worry, I'm not training my dog to be a man hunter, my plan is to travel a lot with him and camp a lot and I want to make sure he'll be ready to protect me as I will protect him in case of some "unpleasant surprises".

I'll take your advice and do some serious obedience training before more advanced stuff.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page