Is my dog too submissive? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:42 PM Thread Starter

Is my dog too submissive?

I have an 11 month old female Czech German Shepherd. High food/prey drive, smart and strong. All the good traits you can expect from this breed except one thing: too submissive. Every time she sees other dogs, she runs into them, roll underneath them, with her tail wagging, and her ears completely flattened. She will also try to lick other dogs face, sometimes making some high pitch noise -- not sure if this is due to excitement or submissiveness though. When I play fetch with her with other dogs, she will drop the toy to the ground if any dog run towards her, or hesitated to pick up the toy if there are other dogs around her. The submissive behavior apply to people as well. When she is home, she will bark and being very alert when she heard noise from outside, but immediately when the visitors came in, she will wag tail, flatten her ears, and try to make out with them.

I am not sure if this is something I can correct/improve, or something I just have to accept. I did a lot of obedience training with her, and I worked hard on establish dominance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by smby; 09-07-2015 at 01:46 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 01:55 PM
Knighted Member

What exactly is the problem? My male is extremely dominant and very much a bully with other dogs so much so that he cannot interact with strange dogs. I'd much rather him do what your dog is doing. As long as she's not submissive peeing then I don't personally think there's much of an issue here.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #3 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Be patient. Let her grow up. Be careful about letting her be around dogs that may be insecure themselves and would pick on her. Don't create competitions with other dogs like with fetch. Play with her by yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smby View Post
I did a lot of obedience training with her, and I worked hard on establish dominance. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I agree with Steve, furthermore could you clarify "how you worked hard to establish dominance" ?

Most Handlers/owners work hard to establish a Bond, not dominance.

Kim
post #5 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM Thread Starter

1. Once we got her back from the breeder, we started the feeding ritual immediately: we always eat first before she eats, right in front of her. That last about 2 months. She also have to stay still until we release her to eat. We occasionally stop her eating and take her bowl away and she need to stay calm(we don't do that often now).

2. I usually use alpha roll to correct her, or punish her when she misbehave.

3. I do leash training with her regularly and very strict about not letting her walking ahead of me (I use chock chain for the training and not hesitated to correct her).

Is it possible that I was being too strict on her? I thought if we don't build the dominance and good obedience on her early, there will be more problems when she gets older and more rebellious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirates Lair View Post
I agree with Steve, furthermore could you clarify "how you worked hard to establish dominance" ?

Most Handlers/owners work hard to establish a Bond, not dominance.

Kim
post #6 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

I think being submissive is not a complete bad thing, as it is a necessary communication skill in the pack. However, showing too much submissive to all the other dogs may reflect her insecurity and lack of confidence. I don't want her to be a bully either, but I think she should be more brave and self-constraint. I would love to see her stand up for herself more and not afraid to accept challenges.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carriesue View Post
What exactly is the problem? My male is extremely dominant and very much a bully with other dogs so much so that he cannot interact with strange dogs. I'd much rather him do what your dog is doing. As long as she's not submissive peeing then I don't personally think there's much of an issue here.
post #7 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:25 PM
Master Member

I really don't think the "alpha roll" is a good idea. It doesn't teach the dog to respect or obey you, just fear what you can do.
post #8 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:25 PM

Alpha rolling is used by self proclaimed trainers that think they can train a dog! And there are thousands of "Master Trainers" out there.

It is a ridiculous exercise for the dog. This may be a major part of the problem, as well as how hard you are correcting the dog on the C/C.

Everything runs down the leash, if you start off bullying your dog you are creating the problem.

Let the dog just be a dog for a while and have some fun (within reason of course)

I would suggest you start over and go back to basics, focus on building a Bond with your dog. A Bond is the most important thing for both of you.

You need to work together as a Team, the way you have been instructed is old school wrong. You need to establish that you are the Boss and the dog is a dog- but do it correctly.

Good luck

Kim
post #9 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:31 PM

Another thing to remember is when you correct the dog on the choke it does should not involve strength , just a quick snap to get the dogs attention.

When the dog ceases the unwanted action that you corrected it for - you stop immediately - and then praise the dog.

Bad behavior results in a snap on the C/C - good behavior results in Praise.

Kim
post #10 of 36 (permalink) Old 09-07-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smby View Post
I think being submissive is not a complete bad thing, as it is a necessary communication skill in the pack. However, showing too much submissive to all the other dogs may reflect her insecurity and lack of confidence. I don't want her to be a bully either, but I think she should be more brave and self-constraint. I would love to see her stand up for herself more and not afraid to accept challenges.
One more thing, were not talking about "the pack" ,were talking about a human and their dog.

It is your job to teach her to stand up for herself and not be afraid to accept challenges, start by providing her with easy obtainable objectives or goals.

Maybe some basic agility, make it lots of fun for her and gradually increase the level of difficulty.

Kim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page