Front Door Manners - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Front Door Manners

Alright... I have been slacking here. Having one dog was easy but my husband had to have a dog and now we have two. Those of you with two know that they can feed off each other and things can get chaotic. So that is happening with front door business. I am ready to work this now. I need a training plan.

What do you do for front door manners? My intention is to do a down or "to bed" command. They know both commands but when there is a knock or the door bell goes off, right now it is crazy. Bad Karin!

And do you think, whatever I train, it is better for the dog to see the front door or not. Dogs have a "to bed" command but the beds are around the corner from the door right now so they can't see. Should I change that up?

Thanks in advance.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 01:50 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I just took the time to settle the dogs and make sure they were in a down and keeping their down when someone came to the door. I'd be yelling through the door "Just a minute!! Just a minute!!" and take whatever time it took to settle them and re-settle them if need be. I wanted them to lie down and hold their position when the door opened.

I just had them lie down wherever they were - it was easier to watch them and re-inforce the command with them near me.

Lucia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

Tons of practice, patience, and treats!

Establish the barrier physically at first using either a leash or barricade, then you can work at either removing or moving it. Start small with just walking up and touching the door, then knocks at the door, then doorbell

My dogs are great with knocks or people coming in, they still bark at the doorbell but know one maybe two barks then knock it off and not to crowd the people coming in.

Also make the rules clear, they disobey they get removed, they obey they get rewarded. Make it black and white and they'll get the idea soon enough that if they want to greet at the door there are rules to follow

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

One of mine goes ape when the doorbell rings or someone knocks. Its one of those things I'm just lazy with. They don't have access to the front door and we open the back door first and put them outside. For me it all depends on what matters to you and what your dogs temperament is like. I just don't want to spend the time on it, so I take the easy way out.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I think a lot of people are lazy with this when I think about my past dogs and my friend's dogs and even my trainers dogs. But when it is two pushy shepherds, I would like to have a bit better management of it all. My aussies just were not that scary to people.

Thank you for the ideas.

karin

Karin
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:22 PM
The "I'm not dead yet" Administrator.

In my house, I have a very small entry way that has steps going up and down immediately. So it's like 5 steps up. I make all of my dogs go up the steps and lay down before opening the door.

Best thing to do, while training it, is to set it up. Over and over again, with a friend who has the patience to wait a while before opening to door.

If someone unexpected comes to the door, I would avoid at first. Put them outside or in crates. But while training, I would not allow them to practice unwanted behaviors at all near the door.

Maybe they can have very short grab leashes on, so you can correct if needed.

I am not super strict. My dogs will break their command on occasion. As long as they are not stupid, I don't fret too much. But they always get sent to the top of the stairs to start with.

"So that others may live"

Hannah vom Steffenhaus, BH, Wilderness SAR
Eisenhower v.d Polizei "Ike" Wilderness SAR, CGC
B'Lena z. Treuenhanden
Nixon vom Banach, RATN
Phoster, FEMA USAR(Labrador)
Ch. Pennywise Sticky Wicket(Dandie Dinmont Terrier)
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 07:28 PM
Master Member

Im in the same boat, the first 2 dogs had it down, the 3rd, just messes every one up and hes so cute about it lol. i need to get back into their training

"And they call it...puppy looooovvveeee"
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:06 PM
Crowned Member

Door manners is the first I teach with a new dog or pup. This is what I teach them: door bell rings, dog follows me from behind, sits on a mat next to the door. I open the door and give her a bully stick (we don't get many visitors) and the OK. She is too occupied to pay attention to the visitor. Once the bully stick is gone she is calm around people and I put her in a down stay if she isn't. I have a note on the outside that says "training my puppy to have good manners; just a moment". It keeps me relaxed knowing that the other person knows and the dog doesn't pick up on my haste. With pups I use treats as long as the person is entering and puppy needs to remain sitting, then on leash greeting. I don't let pups off leash with visitors because people undermine the training.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Well, they aren't exactly puppies but I like the ideas Wolfy! Thx

Karin
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 11:37 PM
Elite Member

Thanks for this post, Karin. I've been lazy with this too and just started thinking that I should really do something about it. I like Wolfy's idea - I'll start with that first and then segue into enforcing a down without the bully stick but will give treats for good behaviour. Hopefully that works.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page