2 year old rescue recently started peeing in the loft - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 2 year old rescue recently started peeing in the loft

Hello everyone! My fiancé and I recently adopted a 2-year-old rescue named Egon. We've had him for about 2 months now, and he's been great about going potty when we come home and holding it in (~8 hours with full roam of the house). We've recently had a schedule and need to leave him in the house for 9 hours M-F. We walk him every morning for 20 minutes and every night for 20-30 minutes religiously. Recently, he's started peeing upstairs in the loft on the carpet that I have to clean every day I come home. I purchased a dog indoor potty with the fake grass, but he's not using it. Would it be okay to crate him for 9 hours? Should we get a huge playpen/crate for him? We can't install a doggy door and he's in the house with the AC running all day. Thank you for any help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 06:54 PM
Crowned Member

If he has started having an issue in the house, it is time to go to the vet and check for a UTI. Whether he has one or not, Clean the area with an enzyme cleaner and then block his access with a door or baby gate.

Yes you can crate a 2 year old dog for 9 hours a day. I don't see it as ideal, but I would for dogs likely to hurt themselves by ingesting the wrong things. I would check for the UTI first though.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-26-2015, 09:41 PM
Crowned Member

I suggest you take Selzer's advice about taking him to the vet to be checked for a UTI and blocking off the area. 8-9 hours is a long time to hold it daily and he may not be able to even in the crate. Perhaps you can hire a dog walker to come in at noon and walk him. That would give him a potty break and also more exercise. If your backyard is fenced and has shade and a shelter, and with plenty of fresh water (I used to leave a small sprinkler on for my dog when I had to work long and it was hot) may be better for him than being crated all day. Or if available in your area and he is good with other dogs, doggy day care.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 12:11 AM

although I have done it, it was with much guilt and I would not suggest crating a dog for that long. no reason why he needs full house access.... why not use a baby gate (extra tall walk thru type) as a happy medium and keep him in a couple rooms (no access to the area he's currently urinating). my dogs are happy with a hall/bathroom/bedroom/laundry room living arrangement - and for me it's just to control hair and access to the front windows when I'm not home...but it works well.

TILDEN: Male: Blk/Red LHGSD: DOB: 12/24/06 65lbs of Love
KEYSTONE: Male: Sable: DOB: 2/11/13 55lbs of Go!!!!!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:15 AM
Banned

IMHO why do people have GSD's (that want to be with their person 24/7) only to leave them for 9 hours per day, plus your sleeping time -lets call it 16 hours per day alone and doing nothing? Pissing on your stuff suddenly is a sign of sheer boredom, ready to go crazy boredom. Not an indicator to rush to the vet and see if they can't hold it for more than 9 hours....

YOU HAVE A VERY ATHLETIC INTELLIGENT DOG. THAT IS WHAT THE GSD IS ALL ABOUT. THIS DOG NEEDS MORE THAN YOU WOULD EXPECT OF A MINI POODLE OR CHIHUAHUA.

WHY DO PEOPLE INSIST ON CRAMMING A GERMAN SHEPHERD INTO THE LIFESTYLE OF A POO POO DOG? It's just sadistic and shame on you...
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:31 AM

whether your dog is left in the house, yard, kennel, crate, or has a 20 minute visit by a dog walker... they still aren't with you 24/7 and the truth is that the vast majority of us have jobs, 8hrs a day + commute. it's wonderful if you can take your dog to work with you (i do now, but guess what, I'm working so he's not with me every moment then either), work from home, come home on your breaks or are retired... but, that's not my life. in the meantime, even after working a very physical 8hrs, I still find time to walk or hike or train or fetch my dogs daily and more often than not my entire weekends and vacation days are spent with them. they are fit, happy & stable. and I'm proud of both myself and them for accomplishing that!

when a new young dog was added to the house and not yet trust worthy with the other animals, or housebroken or proofed out for destructive tendencies... he was crated, all day, and I'd walk away with my head down each morning and make up for it each evening... ask him what he remembers most about 2013 and I guarantee you he'd say being sprung from the shelter, not, being crated for several months.

sadistic? eh..... I call it pretty darn successful! shame on you for being so unrealistic and judgmental.

Last edited by Fodder; 08-27-2015 at 02:35 AM.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:40 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
whether your dog is left in the house, yard, kennel, crate, or has a 20 minute visit by a dog walker... they still aren't with you 24/7 and the truth is that the vast majority of us have jobs, 8hrs a day + commute. it's wonderful if you can take your dog to work with you (i do now, but guess what, I'm working so he's not with me every moment then either), work from home, come home on your breaks or are retired... but, that's not my life. in the meantime, even after working a very physical 8hrs, I still find time to walk or hike or train or fetch my dogs daily and more often than not my entire weekends and vacation days are spent with them. they are fit, happy & stable. and I'm proud of both myself and them for accomplishing that!

when a new young dog was added to the house and not yet trust worthy with the other animals, or housebroken or proofed out for destructive tendencies... he was crated, all day, and I'd walk away with my head down each morning and make up for it each evening... ask him what he remembers most about 2013 and I guarantee you he'd say being sprung from the shelter, not, being crated for several months.

sadistic? eh..... I call it pretty darn successful! shame on you for being so unrealistic and judgmental.
It may unrealistic and judgmental for those who work fulltime, but to me - leaving an intelligent animal to stare at a wall for 18 hours a day is just wrong. Sure, it can be done - but is it right? Look down deep before you justify your answer - convenience or wants have no quarter here.....
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 AM

nope, just open minded and thinking outside of the box constantly to have my boys needs met. I can't imagine it being so hard to imagine so I guess we're pretty even there.

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 03:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fodder View Post
nope, just open minded and thinking outside of the box constantly to have my boys needs met. I can't imagine it being so hard to imagine so I guess we're pretty even there.
My point is the same as parents that are away, commuting and sleeping out of a 24 hour day, much more than 9 hours out of 24. They expect their babies/children will be getting the same quality care only "condensed" into a 3-5 hour period each day? Really, OK But, same as if they were there right?.... Not, and you know it - but justify we will......

How enriched would your babies/dogs lives be if there were a parent/owner home and not away 80% of the time?

JMHO, but not too long ago, our parents and grandparents would scoff at the idea of raising a child or a dog with 2 full time working people. That - was for a reason... If you can't see that, I can't explain it. So, we agree to disagree
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Elite Member

People should sit at home playing with their dogs all day?

Give us a break.

Look at sheep dogs here in Ireland. Dog is out for work maybe a few hours a week at quiet times and a few hours a day in busy times. Rest of time dog is in shed or tied up.

Does the dog live this 'enriched life' as you call it or simply doing its job which it has done for generations.

I advocate for a dog to be treated better than that but really a few hours a day human contact and some exercise is fine for a dog to be content.

Maybe people at home all day need the dog for companionship rather than the other way around.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page