Too much obedience in IPO? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Too much obedience in IPO?

I know the simple answer to this question is YES. But interested in the thoughts and experiences with this.

Can you or does one tend to see people who put too much obedience on IPO dogs?

This is a topic in SAR. Often people have stressed to me not to put too much obedience on my dutchie for fear that he will not retain his independence in work and defer too much to me. Just wondered if this is discussed in IPO and other bite sports as well. What about actual street work? I also wondered if you tend to see people who want that perfection in style and performance and cross some proverbial line where the dog lacks independence.

Maybe my question is how important is independence in bite sport competition? I would think that the serious of bite work needs to have the "right" balance of obedience. Is that a difficult moving target?

Just curious.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 10:12 AM
Crowned Member

There could be a lot more to it, but I think like everything it depends on the dog. I think of too much obedience being where you become a distraction to the dog and not so much part of his team if that makes sense.

Some dogs can handle the flashy ob in protection and still bite good, some would have trouble switching back and forth. I tend to think in terms of control.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

I guess, now that I'm thinking about this, the question is how important is independence in IPO, sport and then LE and MWD?

On another forum the thought is that any obedience taught with motivation, shaping and play should not affect independence..... but I wonder. It does build a strong bond with the handler and I wonder if this comes at a cost of independence.

Just thinking...

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 08-03-2015, 04:36 PM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I used to be in the school that too much obedience could hurt the dog and I think that is because SAR folks were selecting pets for work and the did not have adequate independence and drive and needed to be encouraged to range out, commit to odor, etc.

I think it depends on the dog. With the right dog I don't think you CAN do too much though Lou Castle thinks you can overdo the velcro dog thing with an ecollar. I do think a dog who is not allowed to range out from the handler during offlead walks has a problem and I have seen that.

Honestly, I have to do about 2-3 times as much obedience with my dog as scentwork and it has not done a thing to hamper his independence. The LE who got us started was the one who told me to always do an obedience routine with him immediately before work.

I think independence is very important in SAR. I want a dog that will blow me off if he is right and a dog that won't look to me to help him figure out a problem.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page