You've just been given an 8 week old puppy . . . Create-A-Training Schedule - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

You've just been given an 8 week old puppy . . . Create-A-Training Schedule

Create a training schedule/regiment for a dog from 8 weeks old through adulthood. Include the ideal time for implementing new techniques into the regiment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:26 AM
Master Member

Are you asking for the ideal crating schedule?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:45 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobo dog View Post
Are you asking for the ideal crating schedule?
I think they are asking what order to train commands and stuff like that.

Last edited by wick; 07-20-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 01:23 PM
Elite Member

The ideal training schedule/regiment is what ever works best for your pup. Every one is an individual. What I do with my 8 week old puppy probably wouldn't work for most other people because my lifestyle is different then theirs, I have different goals, and they don't have my Mako

The best I can come up with is - do as many short sessions as you can fit in during your day that your dog will tolerate and implement new techniques into the regiment when your dog is ready for them
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-20-2015, 09:50 PM

For me, I don't do any obedience training till at least 9 months to a year. Before that, all that is done is play and setting expectations. Bond with your dog first through play, then they will be more receptive in obedience not the other way around.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 07-21-2015, 07:35 AM
Knighted Member

OK, I'll bite LOL

From DAY ONE I taught my dogs what I wanted from them (had I waited til they were 9 months, I probably would have given them away!)

BUT, it was little things, in spurts.

Sit was a piece of cake!

When we were in the house she was attached to me a with a leash while I moved around the kitchen, living room, etc. This way she learned to follow me.

If I was going to be sitting down, I would give her a toy to play with, and would interact with her.

When we went for walks I started working on her commands then too ... we would walk, stop and I would say sit. If she didn't, then I would show her what I meant, and then praise.

I incorporated every single thing I wanted her to be able to do as an adult dog into mini training sessions all the time.

BY 8 months she was trained in about 15 commands both on and off leash. (She was NOT bomb proof in stay off leash in a park with squirrels til she was about 2 LOL)

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 04:50 AM Thread Starter

Alright, so I just got her. 8 weeks old.

What is the FIRST thing you train your puppies? How long do you work on it and what's the next thing you train the puppy?
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 08:53 AM
Elite Member

If you're not familiar with training, the first thing to do is find a local qualified trainer. Then you can go from there. They will show you techniques to train with and if you have trouble they can help. Id there are gaps, they can see them.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:30 AM
Master Member

Congrats!

I'd probably just work on bonding first. Keep sessions short and fun, I want most interactions with me to be positive for a new puppy. Also whether or not you are training your puppy you are training your puppy. Ever interaction is giving them info and they are learning from it. If they are awake they are learning.

A lot depends on the puppy. Some will take to training right from the get go and others may need more time to adjust and feel comfortable. Each dog learns at their own pace, moving them on too quickly result in a lack of understanding and moving on too slow can cause boredom. There is no train behavior X for this amount of time formula.

Potty and crate training would probably be my initial focus along with laying the foundation for a good recall. I don't train one behavior at a time, I'm usually training a couple different ones to keep things interesting.

There are loads of training books and websites out there. Go read up and decide what method you like and make sure you understand how and why it works. Most decent books are going to at least briefly cover the scientific reasons behind why and how certain methods work.

I also agree that finding a good trainer or at least taking some classes is a very good idea if you aren't sure about what you are doing or where to start. Also if you got your puppy from a reputable breeder they would be more than willing to answer training questions and help you out with your new puppy.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-02-2015, 09:46 AM
Elite Member

Moving completely at the pace driven by the puppy (in terms of comfort, confidence, physical capability) I would focus on potty training, crate training, engaging in play with me, and introducing to stuff like different surfaces and environments, noises (but don't over do this unless you know what you are doing), to some extent people but they don't have to play with her, just be around her. If she is comfortable, get the people to wear glasses, hats, hoodies, have canes and walk shuffling. Kids too, if she is comfortable with this. Sit, down stay can wait a bit. Sit is pretty easy but don't let your expectations get too high with specifics training. I would say start that a bit later and really focus on engagement play.

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page