Ecollar do's and don't's... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Ecollar do's and don't's...

My dog is now 10 months old and I just ordered the dogstra 1900 ncp (almost went with mycobraracr's tri-tronics g3) both got good reviews but I decided to go with the brand new over the used.

Anyways I've done A LOT of research on them including reading loucastle's website and watching about a million youtube videos on them. I really want to do it the right way so I'm looking for do's and don't's with the ecollar...

Thanks for any tips or advice.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:05 PM
Crowned Member

I'd make sure you go through an intro period with it like you've read about, and don't think of it as the cure for everything. Obedience is still training, the collar is just a little different tool.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:27 PM

Only issue i had was that the dog was too **** smart and knew when his collar was on and when it was off haha so don't look at this as a cure-all just as Steve said below. Nothing beats good obedience training and I learned this through trial and error, but still love my e-collar for recall off leash hiking!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 02:30 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
I'd make sure you go through an intro period with it like you've read about, and don't think of it as the cure for everything. Obedience is still training, the collar is just a little different tool.
What Steve said!

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:36 PM Thread Starter

Yep, I definitely don't want him to get collar smart
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-06-2015, 03:50 PM
Crowned Member

If you do it right with a 2 week idle collar on whenever you go outside and random times inside, it works. I used it for chasing wildlife and it worked. She hasn't had a collar on for several weeks. The other day (no collar on) I put her on an off leash down-stay in the presence of a doe and fawn on the road pretty close by. And she stayed down when I crossed the road to get the mail. I will put on the collar off and on to make sure she doesn't get collar smart because I still want her to wear it (on active) when we go on trail walks when the weather cools off.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 08:26 AM

One of the biggies is the dog needs to already know what is expected, be trained to expected behavior. The ecollar is when they know but choose to ignore the command, like a simple 'come'.

Dogtra is my brand of choice. I also think the 'page' feature is very important. The gentle reminder with some vibration is usually all it takes, besides just wearing the collar.

You can always look over videos on Utube or other sites about use.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 09:25 AM
Crowned Member

That pager feature is far more disruptive and obvious to the dog than just a working level stim. I don't even use the pager unless it's a deaf dog and I need attention on me or using it for hunting applications.

If you don't want your dog to become collar wise don't make it the only way you correct your dog.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-08-2015, 01:00 PM

Make sure you have the right fit and contact point length. The correct fit is probably a little tighter than you would think and I found that I needed the 3/4 inch contact points for reliable contact. My pup had a normal GSD coat and I had thought the longer contact points were only for really long haired or thick coated breeds like huskies.

With the regular contacts, I would have to have the collar overly tight and then I still couldn't get 100% contact. I dint know for sure if contact was the issue or if he was ignoring the stim... But when I finally got the longer contacts points, I figured out all our issues were due to unreliable contact. Woud'lve saved me and my pup months of Ecollar confusion if I'd have known to try the longer contacts in the first place!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-09-2015, 09:05 AM

And by all means take the collar off when not needed. One dog I know got very sick from an infection when the owners left a collar on way to much.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page