Grabbing by the Scruff - Bad? (Couple Questions) - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:37 PM Thread Starter

Grabbing by the Scruff - Bad? (Couple Questions)

Hey everyone,

So I have a very stubborn GSD pup and a very stubborn roommate. My roommate consistently tries to get my pup (only been in home for 4-5 weeks) to co-exist peacefully with his cat. However his cat is 9 years old and my pup only 8 months... The pup very obviously just tries to play with the cat but the cat wants no part of it. Since we live in a small apartment the cat gets cornered very quickly and starts trying to attack the dog, hisses, etc etc. The dog in turn freaks out, barks, breaks stuff and keeps going back to the cat... Since I don't want my dog or his cat getting hurt I told him to stop for now until the dog gets more comfortable in the house at least. However now the dog knows when my roommate gets home the door to the cat will be opened.

For a couple weeks my roommate was seemingly okay with keeping his door shut but now he won't. And the dog keeps trying to sneak/force his way into the room. He won't listen to no when he does this. He still doesn't quite see me as his master yet. Grabbing him by the collar only causes him to pull and fight his way back to the door. However if I grab him by the scruff and guide him away that works. I don't ever hurt him. He never yelps or barks however he has tried snapping at me once doing it but then stops.

Any suggestions on teaching a very stubborn dog boundaries? I'm his 4th owner in his 8 month life so I get why he is struggling to adjust and being very stubborn but could really use some tips for teaching him boundaries without establishing any sort of negative relationship in the process. I've read that mother dogs will move their pups by picking them up by their scruff which is what gave me the idea...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:50 PM
Master Member

I suggest keeping him on a leash in the house, when he goes towards your roommates room or the cat say "leave it" if he does, give him a treat, if he doesn't say "oopsies" and take him into another room with you using the leash as you would normally.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:51 PM
Banned

Your puppy is long past the age when mama would grab his scruff!

Gate the room or use a leash!
If you continue to grab his scruff he's goint to redirect his frustration out on you and you'll wind up bitten, and if that happens, keep in mind it's your fault!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:56 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I kept him on a leash in the house for a bit. It helped some and truth be told I can't remember why I stopped doing it. I'll start to try this again. And Skooby- definitely. I know any negative occurrences are my own fault at this point. Which is why I'm doing my best to avoid them
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:01 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dev_DeCoste View Post
Thanks guys. I kept him on a leash in the house for a bit. It helped some and truth be told I can't remember why I stopped doing it. I'll start to try this again. And Skooby- definitely. I know any negative occurrences are my own fault at this point. Which is why I'm doing my best to avoid them
You probably stopped doing it because it's a huge pain in the butt to be tethered to a puppy haha. It's definitely best to use a leash because even if he didn't bite you, every time you reach for his neck he would shy away thinking you would grab him (even if it isn't hurting him).
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:07 PM Thread Starter

Yeah that's probably true. The leash gets caught on just about everything.. I also use the lead as his car leash now, just a big 15' training lead
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:08 PM
Crowned Member

Crate the roommate. Not practical but a great mental image.

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:10 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
Crate the roommate. Not practical but a great mental image.
This would fix everything. lol
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:46 PM
Banned

OK a "real" cat dog situation!

First see here! And note...there is only one rule in cat dog relationships...the Dog never chases the Cat! Details here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6715746-post2.html

Moving on please stop grabbing your dog by the collar! It migh work fine now??? Seven months from now?? Maybe not so much??

Go to a thrift store and buy a used leash 4 feet cut the handle off it so it does not get caught up on a furniture, it's call a drag leash! Use that if you have to remove your dog from a "situation!"

Four owners in 8 months?? That can stop with you! Start here:
https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/5296377-post8.html

In the "who Pets.." link I only did the "walk part" the rest depends on the dog and the situation!

And train "The Place Command" and do "Sit on the Dog!" "Place will be how you can "control" your dog once it's taught!

It's in here and go the Solid K9 training site "everything" you need to know can be found under "Free Advise!"

https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum/6954690-post5.html
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:17 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Twyla
Keep a leash or a tab on him to use, regardless if it is a hassle to have it dragging around or not. You are in the process of creating a hand shy dog. In this case a dog that can do some serious damage to your hand when he decides he has had enough of you scruffing him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page