SHE KNOWS - but sneaks -how to train? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Banned

SHE KNOWS - but sneaks -how to train?

Summer is 1 year old now. I have seen many different training suggestions on this site, but not this topic.

I have some absolute NO's that I have never wavered on. My failure to break these two have me stumped. One, still eating a small bit of her poop is beyond me. She has gone to the most remote, unusual places in the yard so she can have those precious seconds to have a bite of her poop as soon as it is delivered.

The other is the cherries from the cherry tree. It's a 35 footer and there's about 800 down and 800 to go. She sneeks them too, to the point that when I'm in the shop working and have the door open (to keep an eye on her), she will take a ball or tug and have it in front of her (but, in reality - she has a cherry or some other "no" thing that she is munching on.

I have never seen an answer with training here, that when your dog knowingly and covertly covers activities that they know are an "absolute no, no way, no how, no time). How to train against -HELP!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:42 AM
Crowned Member

Cherry Pits are poisonous to dogs. So either the tree comes down or figure out a way to keep her away from them, I wouldn't rely on no in this case. I would get rid of or block the issue. Mine are eating mulberries, I stop them after a few because while they won't kill them, it can cause loose stool.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 12:47 AM
Crowned Member

You have to be sneaky and correct it when she doesn't think you are watching or around. When you really aren't around you have to put the dog somewhere she cannot access those things and see pictures of being able to pull it off when you aren't in the picture. If you fail on that last part she just becomes an expert in obtaining what she wants and not getting caught.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:21 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by llombardo View Post
Cherry Pits are poisonous to dogs. So either the tree comes down or figure out a way to keep her away from them, I wouldn't rely on no in this case. I would get rid of or block the issue. Mine are eating mulberries, I stop them after a few because while they won't kill them, it can cause loose stool.
The cherry pits (leaves and core portions of branches) all contain trace amounts of cyanide. The amounts needed are pretty large (44 pits will put a chihuahua in danger of death. She will now only eat 2 or 3 (every time she's out) and manages to 'pit them' and leaves the seed - as do the birds and squirrels. I'm still on it though.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:29 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
You have to be sneaky and correct it when she doesn't think you are watching or around. When you really aren't around you have to put the dog somewhere she cannot access those things and see pictures of being able to pull it off when you aren't in the picture. If you fail on that last part she just becomes an expert in obtaining what she wants and not getting caught.
I understand what you are saying Baillif, however, we are at the fail stage. I have used every method and busted her when she's least expected it so many times. So now the "game' has progressed to "you come over and play ball with me or I'm going to eat cherries or my poop in open defiance, then, I will get you out here to chase me.

I have never left her in the yard alone. But, I tried - when she's pulling this crap to ignore her, go in the house and close the door. She freaks and runs the doors and gate trying to get in. Game over, but she's not learning when I walk away and shut her out.

How do I get a "reset' on this. She's great in every other way.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Oh Bailiff, please don't tell me I need to go back to long line or leash and collar. I've never done that and she's great in all other respects. She's just pushing on me really hard in general for constant ball or tug when she's outdoors. I work from home and out back in the shop. I don't want to confine her to the house - don't think she'll learn that way.

Bottom line, NO means No in the house, but not in the yard. I don't want to use a shock collar, however this would probably be the right tool for the job.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 07:46 AM
Knighted Member

I have an idea that MIGHT work ... what if you wet the area under the tree with vinegar and water? Then let her out right away and don't say anything at all ... It won't smell good, it won't taste good ... do that for a number of times / days ... and then you can slowly start decreasing how much you are putting it out?

I would use 50/50 water and vinegar in a spray bottle ... keeping in mind it will kill any plants / weeds that you are spraying that are under the tree ... BUT if you don't soak the ground it won't affect the tree.

The only thing I can think of ...

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 08:28 AM
Elite Member

OPtions on the cherries,

get a net and capture all the cherries for yourself. Birds will strip them in no time. Why leave nice fruit on the ground. It'll get bugs in it. You could shake the tree and then collect all the fruit.

A food refusal technique would be worth trying if you want to stop the dog actually going for them.

Micheal Ellis food refusal
www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR8Jbthtu4U

As for poop eating,

Why is the dog doing it. Is there some semidigested food in it. Is the dog getting too much food and she doesn't digest it properly. What do you feed. How many times a day do you feed. Maybe cut it to one serving and see if the issue persists. If you feed at night the dog poops in the morning and you pick it and put a bin.

The refusal technique can work on that too.

Last edited by MadLab; 06-22-2015 at 08:32 AM.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 01:28 PM
Master Member

Poop eatting YUK!!! I never saw it till I got my Shepherd mix now my old pit does it too never did it before.

Poop eatting is at a min if I feed them in the morning and at night. If I only feed them a big meal at night they are seen eating poop in the morning. Also we keep the yard Clean Poop farm everyday don't leave any around.

Like others have said poop eating needs to be looked at from all angles there are reasons to the madness. Sometimes medical reasons.

You are right eating bad things they know they should not eat is in fact a way to get your attention. They know that.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 06-22-2015, 02:52 PM
Crowned Member

I like the Baliff sneaky approach with a bit of "shock and awe " thrown in for effect.

I used to train extended downs by going in the house and spying on her through a partially opened window, the moment she budged, she heard from me...I kind of think it surprised the **** out of her...a voice from somewhere unknown. I would also do the same training but rather than going in the house, I would sneak around to a shed I have in the backyard while she was downed and watch her...she budged and I would jump out with a hearty vocal reprimand and surprise her that way as well. I kind of think my dog thinks I can see her all the time now...

I did the same type of training when the leave it training was underway and she knew what to leave alone. I'd put her in a room and then go outside and spy on her through a window I partially left open....the moment she started nosing any items I purposely left in the room which she knew were items to leave alone....I'd give her a "leave it". It seemed to work as she earned full run of the house by less than 6 months.

Overall.....sneaky dog needs a craftier sneakier owner. I didn't have an e collar back during those days but I imagine one could certainly incorporate the use of one on a very low working level and get results if your timing was proper.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page