Tether or e-collar for up north vacation? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Tether or e-collar for up north vacation?

So my hubby and I were having a discussion, and we are hoping to not use EITHER for little Della. She is set up to go in for another few sessions with a trainer in the next couple of weeks. But here's the dilemma:

We are all going to a family reunion up north. My uncle has another cabin on his property, so I will be sharing this with my hubby, son, mom, bro, and the dogs. There is room, so I am bringing all their kennels....

Lena, not worried about her, her recall is pretty darn good. Bear, I am already just going to assume he won't listen so I am going to tether him. He's not a fast runner like the girls, and not as high energy, but he wanders. But we are still discussing how we should go about it with Della.

Her recall leaves something to be improved upon. She is much better now, but when it comes to small, fuzzy things that are not a part of the household, I am still a little hesitant. She does come back almost every time, but with all the new sights and smells, I worry if she will have problems with focusing. We have started taking her to nearby forest to walk the trails and sort of de-sensitize her to these sort of things (we have only been able to do this recently because her reaction to being on a leash, which is now also very much improved). So, we are hoping to be able to rely exclusively on the training, but I am not getting my hopes up. She is also more independent now, and not so attached to Lena, so I don't want to assume if Lena comes, so will Della.

I'm for the long leash\tether, and my spouse is thinking e-collar. He wants one that isn't super powerful, but one that will at least vibrate and get her focus off whatever she is chasing.

My concern was because of her anxiety, that the collar may be too much for her. I know I probably should discuss further with my trainer, but I am pretty sure she is not really a huge advocate for it. Any helpful insight on other things I should consider/opinions on this matter?

Edit to add: I am just looking for insight as I know I am not an expert...I know many of you are incredibly well versed in training matters, and value what you have to say.

"A know it all is a person who knows everything, except how annoying he is"-Demetri Martin

Cool Kid Pack:
Von Mozart's Lena Sable GSD 4/26/14-
Della Blanket GSD 7?/2014-
Bear GSD/GP mix 10/24/14-

Last edited by Girl_Loves_Hydraulics; 06-01-2015 at 12:37 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:43 PM
Crowned Member

long line until her recall is solid

post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:45 PM

need help

need to know if i have a gsd pup or not but i dont know how to put images on here plz help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:48 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
long line until her recall is solid
M, I should've just sent you a PM. This was my thoughts too, much less intrusive and less stress for her IMO.

"A know it all is a person who knows everything, except how annoying he is"-Demetri Martin

Cool Kid Pack:
Von Mozart's Lena Sable GSD 4/26/14-
Della Blanket GSD 7?/2014-
Bear GSD/GP mix 10/24/14-
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 10:56 PM
Master Member

long line for sure.

Its funny you worry that her being in a new place and wanting to run off more in a new place. My dog is better when in a new place. On camping trips she is much less likely to go off far because she does not feel comfortable leaving us. The woods I take her hiking in on a regular basis she is all over the place and no fear of going too far. She knows those woods. New woods she stay close. You might be surprised at how good they are in a new place.

I know some dogs run off no matter where they are. Our Pitbull does not care. At an OLD age of 12 he went off into the woods and got lost on a camping trip far away from home. BUT he is dumb and has always been very independent.

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 11:18 PM
Crowned Member

Some e collars have a very bright strobe light built into them and might be very useful in particular situations..perhaps yours if something were to happen. Perhaps you could use both but if you haven't indoctrinated your dog to an e collar yet...I'd make sure you go through that process before heading up north.

I thought the same regarding my dog and her "anxiety" or the potential of ruining the dog by using an e collar....even under the guidance of a trainer who supposedly knew his stuff...which I guess he did. My dog did fine and what surprised me the most was the stim level required to improve certain behaviors to the degree of acceptable consistency.... was a level I can easily tolerate when I put the probes to my own neck and push the button.

Maybe if you properly introduce your dog to an ecollar, you could use both....long line and an e collar for back up if you truly are concerned.

Oh, I kind of agree with Pepper's thoughts regarding the dog staying closer in a new environment...I have seen the same behavior with my current dog.

SuperG
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:12 AM
Knighted Member

First off, have fun. We're heading to the UP on Sunday...can't wait. I also vote for the long tether, so hard to tell what wildlife they may scare up. If recall isn't solid, safer is better than sorry.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart, I'll stay there forever." A.A. Milne
Karen

Tessa~GSD
Della~GSD

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Knighted Member

My dog has anxiety issues, and I've been very successful with the e-collar for not chasing wildlife. However, I did TONS of training with her commands, and made them as solid as possible (leave it / come) before I introduced the e-collar.

If you have time (i.e. 5-6 weeks) you could certainly start with the e-collar, but otherwise, the long line would be a better option!

Marionís Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
Some e collars have a very bright strobe light built into them and might be very useful in particular situations..perhaps yours if something were to happen.
Never heard of anyone using the strobe feature on an Ecollar for any training purposes. Unless the dog is close to an object that the light can reflect off of, they don't even see the flash of light. It's well below their field of view. I've only seen them used for location purposes (by the owners).

Anyone here using them for training purposes?

SuperG how would you suggest that the strobe be used for the OP's issues?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2015, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCastle View Post
Never heard of anyone using the strobe feature on an Ecollar for any training purposes. Unless the dog is close to an object that the light can reflect off of, they don't even see the flash of light. It's well below their field of view. I've only seen them used for location purposes (by the owners).

Anyone here using them for training purposes?

SuperG how would you suggest that the strobe be used for the OP's issues?
I was only thinking of the additional benefit of having the collar on the dog in case the dog fails the recall and takes off in low light or no light conditions and the strobe might aid in locating the dog visually just as you suggested.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page