Automatic Sit/Lay anticipating routine... - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:34 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Automatic Sit/Lay anticipating routine...

Do I have to train in all different environments to get her to sit and lay down? Right now, she just rapidly goes thru the trained sit/lay fast until she feels she's done right to receive the reward, just a trick.... not what I need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-31-2015, 11:44 PM
Banned

Aww, a fellow victum of the "accidently" trained behaviour! Most likely you let something slide in the sit and lay phase??

Just my "speculation" on how it happened? Maybe Bailliff will chime in on how to fix it??
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:31 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Yep! I'm sure it was me. However, I in my mind thought "what would some like Bailiff do?" So, in the last 20 minutes, I asked more of her, not less. I had her go 15 feet away (behind one of those "screen curtains". She would do the sit, but not the back up or lay down. 25 minutes later, she's doing them all at remote! Once again, it was all on the owner - me to get er'done.

But, I must say, without people like Bailiff here, who guides and does not condemn or judge - this would not have happened. This might seem like a small thing to many, what she and I just communicated - but, I am a simple pet owner, and this opens up a whole world of basic (remot) training for me.

I guess, I just needed to "toughen up" and trust the GSD breed I have - they're not dumb, and they're not babies for long....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chip18 View Post
Aww, a fellow victum of the "accidently" trained behaviour! Most likely you let something slide in the sit and lay phase??

Just my "speculation" on how it happened? Maybe Bailliff will chime in on how to fix it??
Absolutely Chip - and your recommendation to Bailliff would be right on for my way of thinking. I just need, I think to push the envelope to what i know it can be.

You know, its funny (not) when I let her out in the morning to do her business, she does not always come on recall - but now, if I ask her if she wants a "cookie" she runs into the house, and it's not the "cookie" she is looking for - it's the interaction she and I have before she gets the "cookie".

I have her do 5 "doggie sit ups before she gets the treat and that's huge for her - her tail wags the whole time. If I just give her the treat, she just lets it lay for a minute like "hey- that's no fun".....
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:44 AM
Banned

Aww yes certainly not dumb!! One has to be extremely aware of not creating unwanted behaviours!

And yes two thumbs up to Bailliff! Not always easy to understand him! Although as of late it seems him is getting much,much better at dumbing it down!

I do find some of the things he says I have been doing without any understanding of why and how it worked!

And congratulations on figuring out your problem and finding the solution!!
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Awesome! I appreciate your guidance and support. I am just a tiny fish in the pond, but because of that, I am wary of the bigger fish I trust, and you are one
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Banned

Well thank you very much! But I'm just JQP average pet guy.

I just try and learn what I don't know from the pros and relay it on! Actually I finally found Jeff Gellman at Soild K9 training:

Solid K9 Training - Rehabilitation and Family Dog Training

look under free advise, most likely anything I advise he has said and done it first!

Slip lead leash though...I seem to be alone on that one?? Gotta be others but I have not found them??
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

So what was happening exactly?
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 02:26 AM
Crowned Member

I am guessing she is automatically going into a down from the sit? is that right?

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-01-2015, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonevintage View Post
Do I have to train in all different environments to get her to sit and lay down? Right now, she just rapidly goes thru the trained sit/lay fast until she feels she's done right to receive the reward, just a trick.... not what I need.
You were teaching positions like sit-down-stand like from his video? Just separate them. Sit, reward it and move around a little. Do a bunch of reps like that, only sit in that session. Slow the pace just a little.

Same with down and later stand. Separate, and a little slower pace. Stay next to her too, so that you can reward and move before she offers something else.

I'd do it in a lot of different places later on, once its clear she's responding to your command.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page