Increasing speed of execution - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 08:36 AM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Increasing speed of execution

I'm curious what methods some of you have used to speed up a dog's execution of commands ?

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:33 AM
Master Member

I don't know if it's right or not but this is what I did....disclaimer: my dog is a bit of a hot mess right now but he's got fast sits, downs, recall and finish.

After the position was taught and I was looking for speed I'd make sure the reward was delivered faster, now I only offer a reward for fast execution, if it is slow I use a verbal marker and do it again.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:38 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaia_bear View Post
I don't know if it's right or not but this is what I did....disclaimer: my dog is a bit of a hot mess right now but he's got fast sits, downs, recall and finish.

After the position was taught and I was looking for speed I'd make sure the reward was delivered faster, now I only offer a reward for fast execution, if it is slow I use a verbal marker and do it again.
The hot mess comment made me lol.

Op- I noticed that the fastest execution of commands came when I also had the highest level reward. So my female is with a ball typically. My male is for his meals :relaxed:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:41 AM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
The hot mess comment made me lol.

Op- I noticed that the fastest execution of commands came when I also had the highest level reward. So my female is with a ball typically. My male is for his meals :relaxed:
haha just being honest - I wish you were still on the East Coast so we could come visit it's going to be a summer of road trips.

Yes the reward is important, he's a fool for a tug so that's what we used.

Courtney M.
SG1
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, BH 07/01/2013
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:48 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I'm curious what methods some of you have used to speed up a dog's execution of commands ?

SuperG
The two general things I find G, are immediate rewarding and level of attention/drive. Its one of the reasons I don't worry about any of it in just casual walks or hanging out. I don't stress if he sits slow at a crosswalk.

I find it easier too, to create that attitude right from the beginning rather then go back and try to speed it up, so I try to work at a pretty decent pace and then add the control part a little later on.

Doc

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 11:57 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Strom View Post
The two general things I find G, are immediate rewarding and level of attention/drive. Its one of the reasons I don't worry about any of it in just casual walks or hanging out. I don't stress if he sits slow at a crosswalk.

I find it easier too, to create that attitude right from the beginning rather then go back and try to speed it up, so I try to work at a pretty decent pace and then add the control part a little later on.
Thats the better way to word what I attempted to say, lol.

Make them crazy for something (toy, food, etc), intermittently reward the drive behavior and then throw in the obedience. So don't ask for the positions until they're already jacked up in drive and don't make them do a bunch of them every time. Sometimes just reward that focused energy.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:05 PM
Crowned Member

There are a lot of ways to do it. Like Gator said you can jack them up before you ask for it, or you can use e collar or prong and add negative reinforcement to make things happen quicker so that they move quickly to escape the pressure and then release into something they're crazy for as soon as it happens.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 12:58 PM
Crowned Member

I did a double take upon seeing the subject of this post. I guess I've been watching to much ISIS stuff on TV...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-28-2015, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Appreciate all the input.....good stuff....and sensible.

Sunflowers....appreciate the levity.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page