Training Protocol for Flirt Pole - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:42 PM Thread Starter

Training Protocol for Flirt Pole

I just bought a Flirt Pole. Now how do I train my dog with it?

I got it to train him to "take", "leave it", "drop". Not sure how to go about doing this without him tearing the furry animal to shreds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 04:53 PM
Crowned Member

You can manage it however you like just keep it on the ground and make wide sweeping movements. Avoid erratic movements that could lead to injury.

For training I'll have mine sit/down and release them them to chase it. My female has a problem with outing so I occasionally let her "parade" around with it before she will out.
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:12 PM
Master Member

I trained wick the commands before using the pole and now use it to practice/strengthen them (mostly because he was so into it there was too much excitement to teach with it) I always let Wick prance and shake the sock on the end for a while before starting again because mostly I use the pole as a play toy/exercise tool and he thinks that part is fun
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 07:54 PM
Master Member

There are a couple of instructional videos on youtube.
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 08:06 PM

As wick pointed out,it may be way too exciting until he actually knows the commands.You could just use it for play at first,then incorporate training into the sessions.My dogs love it and it's such a great tool to teach impulse control.
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-20-2015, 10:57 PM
Crowned Member

With Robyn I taught the commands--wait, drop it and out, get it and bring it---then made those commands stronger with the flirt pole. I have to eork with Apollo on that and will start this weekend. It's hard when it comes to the flirt pole because that is like Robyn's all time favorite thing and she gets super excited whenever she sees it.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 05:51 AM

Tchai used to have a problem with impulse control, so we started using the flirt pole to develop it and he's doing soooo much better! Now I can wave it right in front of his nose and he barely blinks

~ Babyawn Bruno Zen (Tchaikovsky) 01/09/2014
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 06:20 AM
Crowned Member

I NEED to get a flirt pole or make one.. I have always "intended" on doing this and just haven't. I really think Titan could have some fun with this and it could help tucker him out if I'm tuckered out

OP-in my experience, trying to teach your dog new commands with something so stimulating may not work very well. Tried this with Titan (with his FAVORITE soccer ball) and I was only ever able to do it with his drive when I taught him the commands with treats (not nearly as exciting as with a tug or something). Then with the basics down, added the toys or high high drive tools to teach him control in high drive situations. I'd go with the others in that it might be best for yout o teach the command first, then transfer it to the flirt pole. Plus starting out with the flirt pole as a toy instead would make it more desirable and could def help when teaching impulse control.

v/r,

Whitney
and
Commander Charly Titan (GSD)-15 Jan 2010
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 08:47 AM
Master Member

I would teach commands with treats first, then move to a tug, then flirt pole. I use a release word to tell him he did good and he could chase it.

They are super easy to make. Mine is just 3/4" PVC with a bungee inside attached to a long piece of paracord. I have to change out the toy pretty frequently so those cheap no stuffing squeaker animals work well for puppies and are irresistible.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 05-21-2015, 10:59 AM
Crowned Member

I used the flirt pole to build prey drive in one puppy. I created a nut case. Haven't used it for anything else. (I used a buggy whip or lunge line, don't remember which, and tied a rag on the end of it. Terribly difficult...)
If the toy/flag gets torn to pieces, replace it. Might take a couple of minutes, probably have to untie and tie a knot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page