Will not go potty except in backyard! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 04:31 PM Thread Starter

Will not go potty except in backyard!

OK, this seems like a crazy issue, right? But our very well trained nearly a year old female will not go potty except in the backyard. Well, we just moved into a new home, and the horrible rain has caused a major issue in our backyard. In fact, one that will require the entire yard to be redone - at the moment it is a clay and sludge thing that is full of mosquito larvae and pee from the last 3 weeks when it has not been draining. Our male, who is a little over a year old, has no problem going potty anywhere outside. She WILL NOT GO. She will not go on walks. She will not go in the front yard. She will not go in parks. She will not go while she is on a lead. She has just held it for 16 hours. No matter where we take her. Finally we let her out in the toxic sludge and she went both #1 and #2 within seconds. When the builder goes to fix the yard, it will be off limits for probably a month. Of course, it has to stop raining for 3 days before they can even begin that project.

The situation is not helped by the fact that we have a VERY busy neighborhood filled with kids and adults all over the streets pretty much all the time. I walked her 6 times last night plus stood in the yard for over half an hour with her. Nothing.

Here is what I have done today:

1) Bought a longer lead - the extending kind - since I think she is too close to us and is uncomfortable. I would normally not use those because we cannot control them as well, but I am trying to give her some more space. I also got a harness for her, thinking that would make her feel less "on a leash."

2) Bought artificial doggy turf - the XL one which is about 4 feet by 2 feet. I plan to put this on the back porch so it is still secluded and I can block her just into the cement area.

3) Bought the real grass doogy turf - same size as the other one, but it may be a better choice for her. It will not come for several days though. The other two things will come tomorrow.

Because she is not going potty, she is not eating or drinking. When she does not eat, she vomits. She is very neurotic sometimes.

Any other thoughts?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 06:12 PM
Master Member

If that was bella we would be going to the soon as we can
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-19-2015, 10:21 PM
Master Member

Wick held it in over 24 hours because he refused to poop anywhere but inside... Just strait up refused, finally he just did it and he never had an issue with inside pooping again. He then wouldn't poop anywhere but our fenced in yard and we were travelling across country so there was no option, he held it in 12 hours that time and finally went. I think like you he didn't like that it wasn't private, he is especially particular about there being no people or animals nearby. I'm sorry she is feeling so sick because of it, have you tried the turf yet? the first time wick held it in he wouldn't eat either and puked too. Are you sure this is why she is sick? That would be terrible if it happened to coincide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 06-23-2015, 02:02 PM
Master Member

My female hates to poop or pee on leash. She does not have a problem going off in the woods or meadow.

Just an idea could you retrain her? Maybe take some of her poo and put it in the front yard. Treat her like she is a puppy all over again. Bring her to her poop that is in the front yard when she goes reward her. Retrain her to use a different area? maybe?

Cookie - 8yr GSD mix rescue
Indy - 13 Yr Pom/chi mix
Hazelnut- 1 yr/ old GSD rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page