Basics for a send out or away?? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 07:37 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Basics for a send out or away??

Now that the weather is nicer, it's time to train some new skills to the dog. I am curious if there any tips, suggestions or methods which will help me teach my dog a send out or send away...not sure what the proper name is. If there are other basic skills the dog needs to make this happen more easily, don't be afraid to mention them. The dog is pretty solid at hitting the dirt on a recall when commanded but I have never worked on sending her away from me without any lure to motivate her. Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

SuperBackYardPerfomanceGuy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:10 PM
Crowned Member

Most people put a toy at the edge of a fence or field and then cue the dog to go run for it at further and further distances. Some people teach a dog to touch a bucket or something and then send the dog from further and further out.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:13 PM

In my AKC trick class we learned 'touch' (nose to hand) with clicker than treat. I transferred 'touch' to the end of a long broom handle. From there I could throw a place mat out and Ruby would touch that. I changed the command to 'target' and I point where I want her to go. It has to an identifiable place tho. I've been using her frisbee. Once she gets there, I can have her sit. It's a start. Hope that helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:19 PM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Most people put a toy at the edge of a fence or field and then cue the dog to go run for it at further and further distances. Some people teach a dog to touch a bucket or something and then send the dog from further and further out.

You can also buy a send away pole from Hallmark k9 (or make one yourself that is similar) and attach a ball on a rope to it (like suggested above).

Paisley and TJ
Leyna and Levi, RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Okay....so the dog is trained to go to a lure...I can do that easily enough I believe. Dog gets to lure and I put her on a down I assume. Mark all the proper behavior etc. Eventually, I envision this as pointing her in a direction and she should take off and keep running until I tell her to down. New command for the away portion would be in order I'm guessing as well. Is there a trick to transitioning to no lure to simply giving her an "away" command or is the transition completed by having her down before she ever reaches the lure once she learns to run to the lure?

Appreciate the input so far.

Superg
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:55 PM
Crowned Member

let her get it but work the down command separate...if the dog gets the ball, l don't make him down. l may do a 'cold' send out and then down the dog before he gets to the area where the toy is. The toy then comes from me when I go to the dog. I don't recall the dog from the down, ever during the send out exercise. But I've seen it trained many ways.
The main focus for me is not having the dog search if there isn't a toy out there, and down means down regardless.

Teaching the dog directionals on a placeboard, or using bait-plates also can work, no matter where you send the dog, s/he should go and of course the down command is also a given because of the foundation training.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
11.08.06-9.28.18
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 08:58 PM
Crowned Member

I do my send outs a bit differently than most of my SchH friends (who have a ball or toy placed at the end of the field and the dog runs to the toy and takes it). I like to build in the speed to a reward *and* have the down. I've got this weird treat dispensing toy that screws open and fits the Gappay training balls my dogs love. Before we start a send out, I train them to "platz" with this treat dispensing toy between their legs like a giant tracking article. I first show them I am putting a ball in the treat dispenser and screw it shut, but I also have a second ball in my pocket. When they platz on the dispenser, I reach out and as soon as my left hand touches it, I flick the second ball out of my pocket. They thing the treat dispenser is "magic", when I touch it the ball flies out at them. Once I've messed around with it at a short distance, luring and training the platz and then rewarding with the second ball, I just build the distance. I place the treat dispenser in the same spot as the other people hanging their balls, always at the end of the field (you move the dog away from the toy, not move the toy away from the dog...build the distance but the toy is always in the same spot, at the end of the field past where you will command them to platz). I've found that using the ball inside the dispenser keeps the drive and speed, but I have the added benefit of the dog knowing that the "platz" and waiting for me to walk up the field and reward them (or finish in basic position, in a trial) is built into the exercise. When I trialed I didn't have to call the platz more than once, and the dog doesn't anticipate and platz too soon because I very very very rarely command the dog to platz before reaching the toy (and again, in training the toy is placed just beyond the point where the judge will have you platz the dog, so they aren't stopping short and looking for it). I only do a send out and call for the platz maybe once or twice before the trial. To proof that aspect without the treat dispenser, I instead do a separate exercise where the dog is in a down, I recall the dog, and then I command the platz on recall as the dog is coming to me. This is not an exercise that is done in an IPO routine, so those who are more critical about pattern training and showing dogs the same "picture" don't have to worry that the dog will get confused or anticipate the platz on the send out and down too soon.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:17 PM
Banned

Would you send your dog away for nothing? No, you wouldn't, so, you have to set a task for her. The command could be "Search!", "Find it!" to find her toy, and some exclamation like "Ya-ha!" to reach a certain spot and wait for you there.
Train your dog to find her toy in association with particular smell. Tether her to a tree, walk with the toy not very far away and hide it in the grass or behind the tree. Return to her and send her to search with command pronounced excitedly. Help her to find it for the firs time. Few times you tether her - later on it would be solid "Sit" and "Stay" while you are making circles and looking for a place to hide the toy. Then, mark the toy with some smell, play first, then ask to find. Your dog might follow your steps. Mark with the same smell a wooden stick, play first and ask to look for it.Hide the stick before you leave your playing ground and ask to search for it the next day, then two days later, then a week later. Use another scent and do the same, use a few different scents and do the same. Scent a stick and a piece of cloth. Hide marked stick the previous day, and come following day wih the cloth in a glass jar - so your dog wouldn't smell it on you. Take cloth out, let her smell it and send to search. It could be a good idea to have a note pad with you, so you can put down which smell and where you were hiding.
You can combine training with socialization. Children love it when your dog finds their hidden mobile just by sniffing their hands and shoes. It is magic for them, and for her children would be associated with a game.

Reaching particular spot - is not such a complex task. Train your dog to return to the spot marked by laying there an object (your bag, or her leash. She should lay down at it (or on it) and stay while you walk away some distance, stop and recall. Then send her there where is the object. Name the object - say, "Bag". The command may sound silly: "Ya-ha, ba-a-ag!" . Use a second object and name it, train to return to it. Use both objects placed in different spots at once, recall and send to the spot by naming it. Training further - you can send your dog home, so your dog will bring you a message from your wife that the dinner is ready. Training all of it is easier than anyone may think.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

David,

Kind of a coincidence that you posted what you did. Today, I was basically doing the search you describe. The dog is great when I place her somewhere, so I put her behind a larger tree in the yard and then I would go hide a particular ball which has always been inside the house...I showed her the ball after I had her on a sit/stay behind the tree and then proceeded to hide it about 20 yards from her...I told her no peeking...and she played fair. I gave her the same "go get your ball" as I normally would in the house after I returned to her behind the tree and she found it in about 20 seconds. I proceeded to make it harder by hiding it better....maybe did it 5-7 times, she was successful on all attempts except when I hid it under a bucket next to the house. She knew it was under the bucket since she stayed put at the bucket but wouldn't knock the bucket over to actually grab the ball. I think her reluctance to knock the bucket over bleeds over from her training in the house to leave everything as it is....she has free rein in the house when I am gone.

Anyway, it was actually this scent game we played today which spawned this idea to teach her a send out...and I thought perhaps I could incorporate what I saw her do today into the training of a send out.

SuperG
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-21-2015, 09:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
scent game
With "send-to-find scent" game ( SAR training, building foundation) you can cover great distances. Important to have a note pad with you when you are walking and hiding, otherwise it is very easy to forget those places.Woodland is good as town.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page