getting another male? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 06:21 PM Thread Starter

getting another male?

Just curious of what your thought are on having two males. We have gunnar who will be a year and a half when we will getting another gsd pup(end of may). He gets along with every single dog hes ever met(we socialized him since we got him at 8 weeks with all different breeds of dogs, ages and sexes), he's submissive and a very well behaved dog over all. Just wondering what anyones thoughts were on having two males. Gunnar is fixed and we plan on eventually fixing the next pup as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 07:05 PM
Crowned Member

Our two intact males get along nicely (so far, lol!) we keep them busy with games, exercise, and training so that helps. They play "bite" together too and manage to keep it within boundaries.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:33 PM Thread Starter

That's nice to hear! I've heard so many bad thing about having two male dogs but either way I think it all has to do with the dog specifically not the sex (I hope so anyways)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:39 PM
Knighted Member

It depends on the dog, I wouldn't get another male with them being only a year apart but that's just me.. generally it's better with same sexes to have their ages spread out by a few years.

My GSD and my husbands male poodlex are almost exactly a year apart, for the first year they were best friends but then my GSD hit sexual maturity and that all went down the tube. They tolerate each other now, they won't play anymore and have gotten into a few fights albeit minor ones. If you want to do it you just have to prepared that there's a chance(though less with males I think) that they may not get along as well down the road and you may have to crate and rotate.

Ollie vom Grunenfeld HIC CGC
Anastasia(Mishka) vom Feuergarten HIC
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-14-2015, 08:59 PM
Crowned Member

Kujo II was 2 in the end of January. Moofie turned 1 last week. They are fine together. Kujo is neutered, Moof is intact. They grump if the other walks by while they are eating, but for the most part they are awesome together.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:19 AM Thread Starter

This makes me feel a lot better about getting another male! I wasn't worried until the obedience place we took gunnar told me two males will kill each other if they live together. I just couldn't imagine gunnar ever hurting another dog.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 10:28 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgowland View Post
This makes me feel a lot better about getting another male! I wasn't worried until the obedience place we took gunnar told me two males will kill each other if they live together. I just couldn't imagine gunnar ever hurting another dog.
I have had males, both neutered and intact, living together pretty peacefully for most of my adult life (over 50 years). Only time I ever had problems was if you threw a female in the mix with more than one male. And all those years I have only had GSDs and/or GSD-wolf crosses (but please don't take that as an endorsement for getting wolf cross). It all depends on you, how assertive, confident and knowledgeable you are.

Susan
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:43 AM
Crowned Member

I currently have 2 male dogs, they are both neutered now, the GSD is 6 years old and the Dalmatian will be 2 years old in June. They get along great, they play all day, they are the best of friends and sleep together every night on their big dog bed. I might be getting another male GSD this year so it will be interesting to see how 3 males get along.

Lauren

Sinister ~ black male GSD 3.11.09
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 11:50 AM
Crowned Member

I have four male dogs (one is my daughter's intact Beagle). My Shepherd is the only one that will no longer play well with the others. He was three when he decided he didn't appreciate the others breathing his air.

The other males all get along fine. Only one of the male dogs is altered, every one else is intact.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-15-2015, 12:53 PM
Crowned Member

If they are fixed, it will probably be fine. You will never know until you try, but plenty of people have two males fine, and plenty of people have different sexes that fight. I had two intact males and had two issues over time. First, once the younger of the two started lifting his leg (around 6 months), both males were marking in the yard nonstop. They didn't mark indoors, but I have a small yard and they would basically take turns marking the same spot 4-6 times each time they went outside. Then, when the younger male turned 2, he became very aggressive toward the other male, started fights anytime they were close or someone slipped up and they got in the same room. I ended up placing the younger dog with a good friend who had a much better setup for separating multiple dogs and had other dogs that he did get along with. Throughout this time I also had an older neutered male and he has never been a problem with any dog I've had, intact or neutered. Now I again have two male GSDs (older neutered male, 6 year old intact male GSD, and 18 month old neutered male GSD) but do not have any problems. The younger dog is not picking fights, and neutering one of them preventing the constant marking issue. I do not leave them together unattended while I'm at work, but they are not supervised together when I'm home and are fine. They've had a few spats but all for a reason (like tugging the same toy and escalating). In raising the younger male, I've made a point to use very different toys and rewards, so I can go out and play fetch or throw stuff in the lake with both dogs and they ignore each other and aren't fighting over toys. This has helped immensely. I no longer deal with two male GSDs constantly racing each other to toys or "pecking" at each other. If I throw Nikon's toy, Legend just stands there looking at me until I throw his. There is no competition and they aren't drowning each other in the water.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page