Training question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 02:26 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Training question

I'm at the stage with my dog in her obedience ( off leash ) where I am phasing out any lures previously used. So, since I am not involved in any performance/sports classes or formal training classes with the dog, I tend to try and use tactics I see others in here use and discuss. Today, I decided to do something which I have no idea if it is good or bad and was hoping for some opinions.

During a game of frisbee ...we took a quick break and I used the frisbee as a lure briefly and ran her through an obedience drill...I then decided to give her the frisbee and let her carry it while we then ran through the same drill..she surprised me and performed at about 80%..not failing anything but just a wee bit sloppier than normal...she was carrying the frisbee the entire time.

Good, bad or of no consequence?

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:11 PM

Bump, I'm surprised some dog training guru hasn't piped in yet.

I have no advice but I believe she was only slow due to it being a new way of doing her exercise. I bet she will improve given time.

When the stars threw down their spears,
And watered heaven with their tears:
Did he smile his work to see?

Did he who made the Lamb, make thee?
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 04:41 PM
Banned

Dogs like to carry objects. Not necessarily back home. My present dog Lucy plays with other dogs, runs in a pack with them, jumps barriers, the latest - she tried to protect me - all with her ball in her mouth. That which you have described indicates your dog's intense interest in the object, she didn't want to leave it. That fact that she takes on other tasks at the same time just says much in her favour. She was sloppy, probably, because it was first time experience.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:09 PM
Crowned Member

Sounds similar to rewarding with tug play.

That's how I taught Autumn to fetch Frisbee, the reward for returning the Frisbee was a game of tug which I would let her win on occasion then she would push the toy back at me to tug more. Made brining the toy to me fun for her. Now she enjoys Frisbee but we don't always play tug, she enjoys chasing and catching it mid-air.

Done correctly with good timing, good!

Hopefully some of our experienced trainers will give a better outline of this process.

Too bad you can't join an OB class with a good GSD savvy trainer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post
I'm at the stage with my dog in her obedience ( off leash ) where I am phasing out any lures previously used. So, since I am not involved in any performance/sports classes or formal training classes with the dog, I tend to try and use tactics I see others in here use and discuss. Today, I decided to do something which I have no idea if it is good or bad and was hoping for some opinions.

During a game of frisbee ...we took a quick break and I used the frisbee as a lure briefly and ran her through an obedience drill...I then decided to give her the frisbee and let her carry it while we then ran through the same drill..she surprised me and performed at about 80%..not failing anything but just a wee bit sloppier than normal...she was carrying the frisbee the entire time.

SuperG
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 05:50 PM
Crowned Member

When working with a visible lure, you are at risk of the dog only want to preform when you have the lure in sight/available. If you do decide to work with a frisbee as a lure, I wouldn't give it until she performed the desired behavior. 80% of "not failing" is failing (IMHO). If you reward sloppy behavior, you'll get sloppy behavior.
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:11 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperG View Post

SuperG
She worked for you when she had the frisbee in her mouth, because that's what she's been taught. Look at it this way...if you got paid for the week on Monday, would you work as hard knowing you had already been paid?

On the other hand, if she'll still work at that level, then I think it's time to take away the lure and start proofing the behaviors, correcting when necessary. Up the anty on her.

post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:32 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

I like the responses....thanks.

I believe GSD Forums allows for me to ask a follow-up question ( just like those reporters at a WH briefing that try and ask 10 of them at once)

Here is what my mind was thinking regarding my original 1000 word question...

Since the dog is addicted to the frisbee...used as a tug toy every other 5-7 retrieves..it was also used as the bait held across my chest with my right arm or other places for many a training session...the frisbee is a super premium reward...SO..as I wean her off the "rewards" ..by letting her have possession of the prize..and she doesn't have to do squat to get it because I let her carry it, I was kind of thinking it was the best way to test her obedience without baiting her....I mean she does have the frisbee and could completely tell me shove off and do as she pleases. Since this was the first time I tried this...I kind of expected her to disregard our training to a greater degree...so I was pleasantly surprised.

SuperG

Last edited by SuperG; 04-07-2015 at 07:35 PM.
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:43 PM
Crowned Member

Yeah, I think it shows that she's learned the commands. She's slower because she doesn't have that anticipation of getting a reward. Its almost like she's,,,,,,,,,,, working for you! I could be wrong, someone else may make the point that she's protecting you from the frisbee because you forced her into a position of leadership, but I'd be content with she's paying attention.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:53 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Don't kid yourself....these Kong frisbees have been known to do unspeakable horrors to unwitting humans....you just don't hear about it on the national news....

SuperG
post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 04-07-2015, 07:57 PM
Crowned Member

Ohh, you didnt say it was one of those new "kong" frisbees. Those are behavior modifiers for sure. They just play with the old Whamo's out of love.

Doc

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page