Best E-Collar - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Best E-Collar

Looking for the first time investing in a e-collar. Last thread with this topic was a while ago. No negative comments please. I have a 2 year old female and a 7month old male. Anyone with experience on a 2 dog e collar. Or just buy 2 separate ones? Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:04 AM
Crowned Member

I like the Tritronics if you can find them. I hear Garmin may bring them back because of demand. I have a pro100. That's for up to 3 dogs.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 10:27 AM
Master Member

I've the two dog version, Educator 400. It works fine, light is helpful when it gets dark.

Only limitation I found with the 2 dog e-collar is I can only leave one of the dials on one dog not fixed rather than both dogs' not fixed, in case i want to adjust them at will. So if dog A is not fixed, dog B will have to be fixed if I don't want to affect the level of dog B's, vice versa. For example, if i want dog A set at 5 (and not fixed at that level so I can adjust without having to "unfix" it) and dog B set at 10 then dog B can't be unfixed without it being affected by the adjustments I'm making to dog A's. This is not much of an issue for me since only one of the dogs needs to be unfixed. With two individual remotes, the going back and forth I don't think is faster/easier than just unfixing it with one remote.

Not sure if this is the same "issue" with other brands/versions.

I've accidentally pressed the wrong buttons before. My dogs just looked at me like "did you want me to stay close?" I apologized and they got over it in a second since it's just a working level ping. With two remotes, I think I'll probably confuse the two in moments of distractions as well.

I've the one dog as well and prefers the two dogs when I'm out with both.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 11:29 AM
Elite Member

Dogtra makes a good collar also. Make sure when looking that the collar has a high number of settings. This allows smaller gaps between levels. The fewer there are the bigger the jump between levels.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:53 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laney_Doggs View Post
Looking for the first time investing in a e-collar. Last thread with this topic was a while ago. No negative comments please. I have a 2 year old female and a 7month old male. Anyone with experience on a 2 dog e collar. Or just buy 2 separate ones? Thanks in advance!
I prefer two brands. Dogtra and Educator (formerly known as Einstein).

I use both two dog and single dog models. The advantage to the two dog units is that they're less expensive (you get two receivers and one transmitter). With the single dog units you get one receiver and one transmitter. If you have two dogs and want both to wear Ecollars, you need two complete single dog units. The advantage is that if your SO wants to take one dog and go in a different direction, you each have a complete unit.

There are some other advantages to having two complete units, as to the details of how they work, but it's semi−complicated.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 12:54 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear L View Post
I've the two dog version, Educator 400. It works fine, light is helpful when it gets dark.

Only limitation I found with the 2 dog e-collar is I can only leave one of the dials on one dog not fixed rather than both dogs' not fixed,
On my two dog Educator, each collar can be locked or unlocked independently of the other. There may be something amiss with your unit, if you're following the instructions properly.

Quote:
I've accidentally pressed the wrong buttons before. My dogs just looked at me like "did you want me to stay close?" I apologized and they got over it in a second since it's just a working level ping. With two remotes, I think I'll probably confuse the two in moments of distractions as well.
If you've got two dogs out on either a two dog unit or two separate units, it's inevitable that you'll hit the wrong button at some point. If you've laid the proper foundation and you're working at low levels of stim it's not going to be a big deal. If you've not laid the foundation properly, or if you're using high levels of stim, you can cause some confusion, and confusion leads to unreliability.
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 01:06 PM
Crowned Member

I have had good luck with my Sport Dog collar.

Feuergarten German Shepherds

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:08 PM
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouCastle View Post
On my two dog Educator, each collar can be locked or unlocked independently of the other. There may be something amiss with your unit, if you're following the instructions properly.

If you've got two dogs out on either a two dog unit or two separate units, it's inevitable that you'll hit the wrong button at some point. If you've laid the proper foundation and you're working at low levels of stim it's not going to be a big deal. If you've not laid the foundation properly, or if you're using high levels of stim, you can cause some confusion, and confusion leads to unreliability.
I can lock each one independently but when I leave both unlocked, adjusting the level on one affects the other when I switch it back - they ended up both at the same level. I'll check the instructions again.

I've mis-pressed at high levels too and they've gotten over that quickly. They're too busy to linger on mistakes like that when they're off leash... such as spotting some bush that urgently needs to be peed on.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 02:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
I can lock each one independently but when I leave both unlocked, adjusting the level on one affects the other when I switch it back - they ended up both at the same level. I'll check the instructions again.
Now I understand. That's how the system is supposed to work. It's one of the drawbacks of a two dog system. If you want one dog to be stimmed at a certain level, you should lock that setting into the transmitter. The other dog will be stimmed at the level that's set by turning the dial.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2015, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDog View Post
I have had good luck with my Sport Dog collar.

I also have had good luck with the Sport dog 425S version. I only use it on my dog, but it is capable for multiple I am fairly sure. Large range distance. Shock (7 levels) tone and vibrate as well. cost me $180 new
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in