weaned of prong and martingale - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 12:55 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

weaned of prong and martingale

Used the prong (correctly as by Leerburg) for about a month, then about two weeks on a martingale and now she walks nicely on a regular flat collar. She is 16 months old. So proud of this girl! It was my hope not to have to rely on a prong too long and it worked beautifully.
When I start biking with her, I might use the prong for the first few trips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:23 PM
Knighted Member

Huge congrats on the progression.

Having done some biking with Ky ... I'll make two recommendations (which you can take or leave at your will!) Also, don't know if you have ever done this ... so my post could be completely useless!!!!

I bought a harness for Kyleigh to bike with. 2 reasons - she was already trained to pull the sled in the winter so was comfortable with the harness ... and 2 if we were ever in a situation where I COULD let her pull me, I wanted to have that option (I AM out there to exercise my dog after all LOL)

My second option would have been (had the harness not worked) a quick release for the collar -- in case you crash or something ... it's so the dog doesn't choke.

It took me about 4-5 times of biking with Ky before she got the hang of it - stay away from those wheels doggie! But now, when I take out the harness she KNOWS what's coming up and is pumped.

Best way to tire your pup out is with a bike!

You also have to watch their paws. I bike on the sidewalk (oops!) and Ky is on the grass for about 90% of our bike ride. I live in suburbia and don't bike very fast - just enough to keep her from wanting to wander! A 30 minute bike ride is enough to tire her out.

If I'm on a certain street and there is zero traffic coming, I will tell her to go ahead, and let her pull me ... she JUST LOVES that!!!!

Have lots and lots of fun!

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

The quick release collar is a great idea. Never thought of that. I have biked with dogs for about 30 years and it has been great. Can't wait to start her. On regular walks I am teaching "shoulder" to walk on the side of the road next to the pavement.
The harness would come in handy for my old knees when we go up hill. Have to see how that will go. So far I haven't liked the various harnesses and I don't want her to pull on a collar. Probably will clip the leash on a regular harness, just for the hills.
Thanks for the tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-17-2015, 02:00 PM
Knighted Member

If you can get your dog to pull you up the hill you are set!!!!!

You're quite welcome ... sharing like this on the forum is what I like to see!!!!

Marion’s Zoo-Kyleigh, Raylan-cat, Echo-TAG,
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 01:58 PM

Wolfy, curious to know if you have any insider info/tips/advice on weening her off the prong to a flat? I'm just getting ready to start mine on a prong collar and don't want to have to depend on it for too long, if I don't have too. Thanks for any help, I'm always on the hunt to learn more.

Last edited by dhaney81; 03-18-2015 at 02:00 PM.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhaney81 View Post
Wolfy, curious to know if you have any insider info/tips/advice on weening her off the prong to a flat? I'm just getting ready to start mine on a prong collar and don't want to have to depend on it for too long, if I don't have too. Thanks for any help, I'm always on the hunt to learn more.
See my first post from yesterday. The martingale with a chain loop (to remind her of the prong) was the in-between-collar. H
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:30 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
See my first post from yesterday. The martingale with a chain loop (to remind her of the prong) was the in-between-collar. Hope this helps.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 04:54 PM

I see. Did you keep the martingale and flat collar up high on the neck similar to the prong collar, when weening back to the flat collar?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-18-2015, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Quote:
I see. Did you keep the martingale and flat collar up high on the neck similar to the prong collar, when weening back to the flat collar?
I did with the martingale and by the time I only walked her on the flat collar she was basically OK. I still use the clicker and treats once in a while to keep the rewards random. I don't like the flat collars to be too tight. (two finger-widths between dog and collar)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-10-2015, 10:40 PM

Counter intuitively if the dog runs into the collar then the prong collar is more humane then flat collar since the prong spreads the pressure around all neck, while the flat collar works like a karate chop on the front of the dog's throat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page