Big Steps for Bob Barker - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Big Steps for Bob Barker

Bob Barker and I started a new training regime thanks to Leerburg and Ruby Bell-Horn!

Bob as some of you know has a reaction issue that needs work, so today we went to the dog park. But not to go in and play like usual,, but to use it as a training tool. Starting about 1/4 km away we walked just to the point where Bob could see and hear the other dogs playing. He reacted as I suspected, got completely pumped up and started barking. With a couple good corrections we stayed at that distance, walking in circles using different methods so he will eventually learn to focus on me. Eventually I want to be able to watch beside the fence of the park with no reaction from him.

In the picture the dog park is at the tree line in the back with about 10 or 15 dogs racing around having fun. May not seem like a lot but it's a big step for him.
We made sure that we ended on a good note getting to chase his favourite toy ... The tennis ball.

Wish us luck that we keep going in the right direction Big Steps for Bob Barker-imageuploadedbypg-free1426102424.885892.jpg

Candice
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 03:52 PM
Master Member

One step at a time still gets you to your destination... Good job to you both and good luck!

Kimberly
Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book.
post #3 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:23 PM

Good job Bob!Keep up the good work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:29 PM

That is awesome! If I can ask, what kind of corrections do you use? (leash pop?) I am trying to sort out the best type of correction for my boy, too :-)

Tina/Mama

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant

Last edited by MamaofLEO; 03-11-2015 at 08:35 PM.
post #5 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:34 PM
Crowned Member

Yes, good work.....been there . It's a long road but every and any improvement is noteworthy and inspiring. I have developed an opinion regarding the particular approach you are utilizing....certainly the awareness of the handler to instill a new mentality in the dog is paramount but any time the dog goes over threshold during the modification period...it's 2 steps backwards.

SuperG
post #6 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:38 PM
Banned

Congratulations on your hard work! But you do know you're jumping in at the deep end of the pool here. Usually you work up to the point your act with the dogs behind fences on walks thing?

But if it's working for you and your dog, once again good job!
post #7 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

We did exactly that SuperG... He would be doing great so we would move a little closer and as soon as he showed signs of any distraction or he just had no interest in me... Back to the car we went and we started over.
He did great. I'm really proud of him

And the correction that I did was a pop of the collar. He had his ECollar on for when/if he got too worked up and I only needed to use it twice in the time we were working. I in all honestly think it depends on the dog which is going to work best for your dog. I've had dogs where just a pop of the collar works, and others that it doesn't. Trial and error

Candice
post #8 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:41 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

[QUOTE=Chip18;6640897]Congratulations on your hard work! But you do know you're jumping in at the deep end of the pool here. Usually you work up to the point your act with the dogs behind fences on walks thing?[

What do you mean work your way up to it? That's essentially what I am doing.

Candice
post #9 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob_barker View Post
He did great. I'm really proud of him

And the correction that I did was a pop of the collar. He had his ECollar on for when/if he got too worked up and I only needed to use it twice in the time we were working. I in all honestly think it depends on the dog which is going to work best for your dog. I've had dogs where just a pop of the collar works, and others that it doesn't. Trial and error
Thanks (re: correction type) Exactly--trial and error...you should be proud of both of you...I just introduced the forest preserve dock (with a flexible lip and the landing) to Leo today; you'd think I was sending him to the guillotine! Cajoling, + action w/treat and a bit of persuasion did it...trial and error :-)

Tina/Mama

Leo~5/22/14~ GSD Love of my Life pup

Shane, 2001-2017, Gentle-Soul, Black GSD,

Jake, 2000-2013, Rhodesian Ridgeback (soul-mate pup)

Mike, 2008-2014, GSD, Gentle Giant
post #10 of 42 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 08:51 PM
Banned

Sorry maybe I misread? Just that most folks start smaller, one or dogs behind a fencein there neighborhood and then work up to the walking outside the dog park thing! That's a big test for most dogs
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page