How do I make my GSD bark and growl on command - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 07:29 AM Thread Starter

How do I make my GSD bark and growl on command

I have seen videos of when a dog is barking, finding a way to link it to a command word, reward him, and then practice.

Problem is, my guy never barks, never growls. He is the happiest, silliest little fella out there.

I do need him to bark and growl on command.

How do I do it?

Also, if I can make him poop in the toilet...

I have taught him to poop on command. His command is "Do what mommy does!" Makes him squat, and makes the wife mad at the same time! Its amazing really!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:11 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

I have removed all of the OT and petty comments. Please stick to answering the question. If one can't help than best to not post.

We also do not delete threads except in extreme cases. We will clean them up and attempt to get them back on topic.

Thank you,

ADMIN

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:13 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

How old is he? I would find a way to tease him until you get some sort of sound even if not a bark. reward. Then ask for more, reward, etc. Usually once they find their voice it becomes easy.

I can not help with the other.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:18 AM
Master Member

[QUOTE=Big Brown Eyes;6637753]I have seen videos of when a dog is barking, finding a way to link it to a command word, reward him, and then practice.

Also, if I can make him poop in the toilet...

Not sure about growling specifically but you could teach a speak command using whatever word you want as the action word... I taught the girls by having something they enjoy.. treat, toy whatever gets their attention then getting them excited until they "spoke" then reward to show that is the desired action. Keep practicing while using the command word and taking the stimulus especially if it is a toy out of the scenario. Soon they associate the word and the desired action and you have the bark on command... I would imagine a growl could be elicited in a similar manner...

As far as the pooping in the toilet... I have no clue how to teach that but if you do I gotta see a picture... twisted, I know.. but I am sure that will be hilarious!!

Kimberly
Athena d.o.b. 02/01/2014
Eden d.o.b. 03/15/2014

There comes a time when you have to choose between turning the page or closing the book.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:23 AM
Banned

Dont know if this is the way to do it, or the correct way...

But my dog barks without fail if I hiss like a cat. (ksssss sound).
I would imagine this is because he sees cats running around the neighbourhood all the time and he is always bolting towards them and unable to get to them in the fenced yard.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:29 AM

I got in Fama's face with her up on the bed and made a yapping motion with my hand, like Pac man. Then I got her with that hand, in a playful way. As she got more excited, she started to bark at the yapping hand. Then I rewarded the bark.

After the behavior was consistent, I added duration, so she had to bark several times before the reward. Then added distance, putting her on the floor and then posting her at increasingly greater distance.

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:33 AM

Here's some pictures

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSCN0626.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSCN0627.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSCN0628.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSCN0629.jpg

http://i470.photobucket.com/albums/r...a/DSCN0630.jpg

When a dog saves the life of a man, it becomes clear that partnership knows no bounds.

Fama - T.E.D.D. OEF XI-XII (GSD)(RIP)
Marshall - T.E.D.D. OEF XII-XIII (Lab)(SF EDD)
Lucian - Med Alert / Mobility SD (Cane Corso)
Pud - the old man (Pit x Lab)
Hank - DW Dog (Cane Corso)
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 09:36 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Winners View Post
I got in Fama's face with her up on the bed and made a yapping motion with my hand, like Pac man. Then I got her with that hand, in a playful way. As she got more excited, she started to bark at the yapping hand. Then I rewarded the bark.

After the behavior was consistent, I added duration, so she had to bark several times before the reward. Then added distance, putting her on the floor and then posting her at increasingly greater distance.
How is it that when you explain things they seem just so easy and simple? Light bulbs go off on this end and I have the, "Why didn't I think of that?" moment. Love it!

Kate

Cafall vom Heinolf (GSD)
Efa vom Strafford Hall (GSD)
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:13 AM
Elite Member

Dogs dont seem to like the 'yapping' hand much, lol... That is how I have taught my dogs how to speak on command.. It seems to work them up being made fun of . Let us know how it works for you
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Crowned Member

I tossed a ball out in front of Seger and held him back. When he made a sound, we moved towards the ball. Eventually, he started to bark out of frustration. At that point I released him to get the ball. Once he was doing that consistently, I put a command to it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page