Losing interest in balls - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 05:53 AM Thread Starter

Losing interest in balls

Over the past few weeks, I've noticed a sudden disinterest in chasing and playing with balls in my puppy. She used to be a crazy prey monkey but now it seems she does not even have any urge to fight or chase after her balls when I want to play with her. I've not done anything differently but all of a sudden she just did not feel like playing.

Anyone knows how to remedy this??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:17 AM
Knighted Member

Do you think she might not be feeling well?
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:27 AM Thread Starter

Nope she is fine. Eating and training well, just not interested in playing ball.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:01 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Maybe you aren't making it fun enough any more. YOU being part of the game and adding tugging to the mix? There are toys that throw well and are great to tug, the mix is what many of our dogs like most of all.

(BTW, how old is your puppy? Many of them have normal growth pains called pano and it's just not as comfortable to run even if they aren't showing obvious signs of pain. Bone Inflammation (Panosteitis) in Dogs | petMD )

Holee Roller Fleece Tugs with a Squeaker Ball

Fleece Tugs In Christmas Colors | Fleece Tugs | JJ Dog

https://www.cleanrun.com/index.cfm/p...-ball-tugs.htm

Have you been working on engagement play? https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:18 AM
Crowned Member

Is she teething?

so try a different toy. Try a softer tug that is more interactive with you.

I really don't see this as a bad thing. She might just be bored. Might be teething. Might be pano. But it's not a bad thing to play with different toys so she doesn't get focused on one thing. Jax will only work for a Kong frisbee. Seger will work for snowballs if that's all that's available.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 09:34 AM
Crowned Member

Do you allow her to have the ball you use throughout the day? If so that toy may lose value to her. I have toys I only use for games, then they are put up. When I get one the "special" toys (ball/string or orbee) they know whats up and get ramped up. I also like to mix up fetch games, adding in tug upon retrieve or throwing the ball into cover so they have to search.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 02:02 PM
Crowned Member

Any chance your enthusiasm is lagging? You need to remember to act like that toy you want to use is the most treasured thing around. Don't be so anxious to give it up...
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-28-2015, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

There is no sickness involved, definitely no pano or teething, she still does her running and basic agility with no problems. Her obedience training isn't affected in any way noticeable.

With regards to toys, they only come out when it is training or playtime, she doesn't get to keep a toy while in her crate or during her free time. I do get myself involved as much as possible with tugging, playing fetch as well as hide and seek and I try to mix everything up to keep the game and training as fresh as I can.

Previously, when I mentioned the word "ball" she would dash to the box where I had and wait for the toys to come out. Now, it definitely isn't the case.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-01-2015, 04:24 PM
Crowned Member

How old is she/he? What is her/his temperament like?

Did something negative happen? Did you over power the dog while playing?

Like someone else mentioned have you tried another toy? And if so will she/he engage? Chase?

Leesa~

Chaos v. Wildhaus, SchH2, OB3 (HOT) Forever in my heart ~ Bismark v. Wildhaus, SchH1 (HOT) ~ Kougar v. Wolfstraum, IPO 1, CGC (HOT)... Oberon v. Wildhaus, BH (HOT)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-02-2015, 02:06 AM Thread Starter

Strange thing happened yesterday, my trainer wanted me to demo my puppy in basic obedience for the newcomers and she put up a strong fight for her toys when I took them out to do a little fetch and tug. I never did anything different in this demo either. I'll monitor and see if her ball drive has come back or not.

Anyone have thoughts on this???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page