TEAM DOG by Mike Ritland - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By rarewolf

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-17-2015, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Elite Member

TEAM DOG by Mike Ritland

I just read Team Dog by Mike Ritland.

Mike, a former Navy Seal, trains and breeds protection dogs for, among others, the military. His other book, Trident Warrior Dogs, is pretty interesting on the MWD. He also started the Warrior Dog Foundation to help with support and placement of retiring military dogs.

Anyhow, the book Team Dog, is not so much a specific training book as a orientation to a way of training based on Navy Seal principles including "command and control", "situational awareness" , team trust, etc.
I like his simple explanation or operant conditioning. He claims most of his training is 85% positive reinforcement or neutral. He doesn't go into much about positive punishment or corrections however. Overall I like his constant reminder of the trust bond that must exist. He pours on the "Navy SEAL way" stuff but that is okay by me. I like the link to the SEAL principles and if it speaks to some of the more reserveor disconnected guys out there, awesome.

I am starting to bristle at some of the clueless questions on this board. How un-nerving that people get GSDs or other protection type shepherds and have no idea what they have just done. They just expect RinTinTin to develop naturally despite their lack of engagement. I'm sorry, I do try to be compassionate but wow, sometimes that is tested by people who have no clue about their side of the commitment in the relationship. I'm thinking about recommending this book to people on a regular basis just to get them oriented to the idea that this is a "team". COMMITMENT is a priority and that is on the human side. That is first. Do you have it or not and how will you prove it?

Anyway, those are my morning thoughts. Think I will go take my dogs on their daily 45 minute walk with little bits of training interspersed here and there. Then feed them their good food and if needed talk to my awesome trainer (4th one ended up being golden) and do whatever I need to do to invest in these relationships. They are totally worth the investment.

Here is a link to another review of the book: http://www.mensjournal.com/adventure...r-day-20141111

Karin
Dutch Shepherd - Ptygo (Tee-Go) de las Flores
Rescue GSD - Freyja (Husband's Dog)

Last edited by DutchKarin; 02-17-2015 at 09:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 01:57 PM

Admittedly, I've only read a sampling of this book. My only humble/opinionated comment would be ... No matter who is the leader, or who (human or animal) is following, leadership is about respect, not dominance ...
carmspack likes this.

Cheers from the Avalon Peninsula
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-26-2015, 02:28 PM

Karin,
A few days ago you offered several pieces of helpful advice to me, regarding multiple dogs in a household. At the time you suggested I read Team Dog and I told you I would. This morning as I was drinking my cup of coffee, my pups were sleeping on the floor and I decided to pick up a book and catch up on a little reading……the book was Team Dog by Mike Ritland. I had purchased it about two weeks ago (I think it JUST recently came on the market). Anyway…I was already about 60 pages into the book when you recommended it but the book title didn't click with me until today. I've been a little overwhelmed with the busy training schedule and trying to recognize every possible training and developmental need of my precious pups without overwhelming them or "screwing them up". Just thought it was funny this morning when I realized I was already reading the book you recommended as i was frantically seeking advice. Thanks again for your help and I will be finishing the book in the next couple of days.
Tammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DutchKarin View Post
I just read Team Dog by Mike Ritland.

Mike, a former Navy Seal, trains and breeds protection dogs for, among others, the military. His other book, Trident Warrior Dogs, is pretty interesting on the MWD. He also started the Warrior Dog Foundation to help with support and placement of retiring military dogs.

Anyhow, the book Team Dog, is not so much a specific training book as a orientation to a way of training based on Navy Seal principles including "command and control", "situational awareness" , team trust, etc.
I like his simple explanation or operant conditioning. He claims most of his training is 85% positive reinforcement or neutral. He doesn't go into much about positive punishment or corrections however. Overall I like his constant reminder of the trust bond that must exist. He pours on the "Navy SEAL way" stuff but that is okay by me. I like the link to the SEAL principles and if it speaks to some of the more reserveor disconnected guys out there, awesome.

I am starting to bristle at some of the clueless questions on this board. How un-nerving that people get GSDs or other protection type shepherds and have no idea what they have just done. They just expect RinTinTin to develop naturally despite their lack of engagement. I'm sorry, I do try to be compassionate but wow, sometimes that is tested by people who have no clue about their side of the commitment in the relationship. I'm thinking about recommending this book to people on a regular basis just to get them oriented to the idea that this is a "team". COMMITMENT is a priority and that is on the human side. That is first. Do you have it or not and how will you prove it?

Anyway, those are my morning thoughts. Think I will go take my dogs on their daily 45 minute walk with little bits of training interspersed here and there. Then feed them their good food and if needed talk to my awesome trainer (4th one ended up being golden) and do whatever I need to do to invest in these relationships. They are totally worth the investment.

Here is a link to another review of the book: From Navy SEAL to Man's Best Friend: Retired Military Dogs - MensJournal.com

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page