Prong Collar - Awesome! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:06 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Prong Collar - Awesome!

I just took my 8 mo old pup Summer out on her 1st walk with the HS prong collar. I watched the video's online for proper usage many times.

It was a dream come true. It is ONLY one part of the walk training. You must know how to use it, when to do the corrections, read your dog, stop sits, reinforcement, proper timing on corrections - all of it for the collar to work.

Today is only day 1. I am positive this was right for my dog. It's almost as if she were asking for this type of direction or leadership from me, but I was not able to communicate it before. She looks at me! Yea!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 01:12 AM
Crowned Member

lol
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:07 AM

I have to say that my GSD pup is the first dog that I've ever used a prong collar on.

Just be careful it doesn't pop off unexpectedly. I use a martingale collar as a back up incase the prong comes apart (and it has...it had an old style clasp).

I hope you and summer have tons of great walks ahead of you.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:16 AM

Awesome!

I have been using the same herm spenger German made prong collar since my little guy was 6.5 months old. And I still use it when he is 3.5 years old.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you. For now, I will be using 2 leashes and 2 collars in case the prong pops off. I saw one video where they recommended using a carabiner to join the two collars for one leash but that would interfere with any correction and bring it further down on the neck.

One concern I have is what if she is attacked by a lose dog. I could see the prong collar doing damage if she is defending herself. With the two leash/collar I can slack the prong and restrain with the regular collar, that's the theory anyway. If you know of a better way, please let me know. I have the prong in the non-constrict position (thru the D & O rings).
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 07:13 PM
Crowned Member

I use a nylon slip collar and a prong and the leash tab is clipped through both the prong ring and the slip collar ring. The slip collar ring won't interfere with the prong action and won't fail if the prong does.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thank you. Great idea. Still worried about a potential problem with a random loose dog fight though. Would my dog be choked and poked while trying to defend us?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 06:15 AM

I look at it this way, The prong is to get your dog's attention so that you can lead him away from a dog fight. You have to be diligent to keep an eye on your surroundings and your dog. I used to read books while walking my little whippet mix. With my GSD I would never consider taking my eyes off of my surroundings.

The other day my dog wanted to lunge to a neighbor's dog. My dog was being the brat and giving him pops on the prong didn't dissuade him much. Along with my collar choice I still need to continue training his dog reactivatey.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
Banned

I understand, it's the one's that come from behind and just start right in fighting that can catch me off guard.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-11-2015, 09:35 PM
Crowned Member

You should be defending your dog, not vise-versa. My dog is trained to go behind in the event that an aggressive, loose dog approaches us (which has happened many times).

Ruth & the 4 Legged Rescue Gang

Rafi the malaroo

Gio & Varda, the krazy kittens
....In my heart:
Cleo Kitty
Chama
Kai
Basu
Massie
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page