How I "Taught" Confidence to My Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 04:06 PM Thread Starter

How I "Taught" Confidence to My Puppy

Hi I thought I'd share my method of teaching confidence.

I ended up getting a 9 week old female GSD puppy. Within the first week I decided to take her for a short loose leash walk. A huge dog decided to run outside of his house to the fenced off front yard. It jumped on the fence and started to bark loudly. My puppy got extremely terrified, whimpered and hid behind me with her tail tucked in between her legs. She continuously cried. Afterwards she seemed very scarred from that experience although she didn't get hurt. Sounds of other dogs seemed to worry her. Before, she would ignore other dog noises, but it would have her jump out of her bed with her ears perked.

Maybe people will disagree with what I did, but this is what worked FOR ME.

1) I created a stronger bond with my puppy. I spent more time training her and playing with her. Since I only had her for a week I showed her that I wouldn't hurt or yell at her. She needed to trust me before the next few steps. Also this is common sense: NEVER HIT YOUR PUPPY/DOG.

2) I let her win tug-o-war when we played, but ONLY when she pulled. At first she was reluctant to pull against me. She would hold the toy in her mouth and when I started to tug a bit she would try to let go. I showed her it was okay to play by repeatedly baiting her into getting the toy. I did this by dragging the rope on the floor until she went for it. As she started to tug I let her win. I would then start to increase the strength and duration I would pull at.

3) I let her figure out the stairs. She was extremely hesitant about the stairs the first time I ever introduced it she was no where willing to make an attempt. After 3 days of trying to create a healthy bond she started showing efforts of making it down the stairs. It took her a total of two days to figure it out. Day 1, she came down 2 out of 10 steps down and 3 out of 10 steps up. Day 2 she went down and up all 10 steps.

4) If there were anything she was afraid of I would stand in between her and the object. I would wait until she is showing a more relaxed state before I would start approaching said object. For example: a vacuum. After I would touch the vacuum and do random things like talk and walk around it. I waited until she was ready, but later she approached it, sniffed it and touched it with her paw.

I never baby talked her or crouched down or picked her up in any situation where I thought she was capable.

A week and a half later I decided to walk down the same street with the big dog. The dog did the exact same thing: jump on the fence and started barking. My puppy stood her ground, barked back and then continued walking with me. She didn't cry, tuck her tail, pin her ears back or try to hide behind me. She ignores any other dog that doesn't try to run up to us while barking at us.

Keep in mind that I know a lot of people say "tug-o-war leads to dominance!". She doesn't lead me on a leash, rush out of a door before me, she doesn't go on the furniture and she doesn't bite me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with the methods you used to help your puppy gain confidence and get over her fear. I agree also that in playing tug to end the game by having the dog or pup win builds confidence.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Royal K9s Baron Sting DB 7/9/2017

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sting Chance von Gaard 2006-2017
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-29-2015, 10:09 PM

As a pack leader of two 7 month old GSD puppies, I'm a novice but am learning as fast as I can. I think you did a phenomenal job with the situation. Your puppy knows you have his back. Great instincts!

Trapper and Hawkeye GSD 6/29/14
RC and Moonpie (cats) ~ March, 1996
Tammy -mom to all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 08:53 AM

Excellent job!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 09:02 AM
Crowned Member

Great job! Very similar to the methods I used on my poodle and it did wonders for helping her

Shanna

My Pack:

Jasmine - Female Miniature Poodle - born Aug 15, 2010
Loker Delgado Von Stalworth - Male GSD - born Jan 26, 2012
Koda & Zazu - 7 year old male cats
Alex - Male Cocker Spaniel (rescue) - RIP Cuddlebug 2007-2010
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 11:16 AM
Crowned Member

Barking back was a function of age and unrelated to the other work you did with your dog. It also isn't the ideal response to a situation like that unless you want your dog to be leash reactive
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

Hadn't thought of that, good point. It's an association.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Barking back was a function of age and unrelated to the other work you did with your dog. It also isn't the ideal response to a situation like that unless you want your dog to be leash reactive
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:29 PM
Crowned Member

btw...are there still a lot of people out there that think playing tug leads to dominance? I hope not.....
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2015, 01:42 PM
The Administrator from the Great White North, eh?

I think more people believe it than not. I once had a vet tell me that because I had a working-line GSD to NEVER play tug with him as that would allow him to be dominant and I'll never get control back after that. I just smilled and nodded, then off I went to Schutzund training . . .

Lucia

2009-2018

Keeta BH, OB1, TR1, AD
Rottweiler/Hairy Dog mix?? 2004-2015
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-31-2015, 08:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castlemaid View Post
I think more people believe it than not. I once had a vet tell me that because I had a working-line GSD to NEVER play tug with him as that would allow him to be dominant and I'll never get control back after that. I just smilled and nodded, then off I went to Schutzund training . . .
LOL. Your post made my day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baillif View Post
Maybe? I didn't know 6 days would make her bark as a function of age. I was more proud that she didn't run away with her tail tucked crying.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page