Preventing Chuck It Burnout - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Crowned Member

Preventing Chuck It Burnout

Instead of mindlessly exercising my dog by plainly using the Chuck It, I have made it more interesting for her so she needs to use her brains as well as practice/maintain impulse control. Just wanted to throw out some ideas.
1. Dog in sit stay next to you: Chuck It and release with a command to fetch the ball. Have the dog sit in front of you and release the ball on command. Back to the original position.
2. When the dog is half way back with the ball, have her drop into a down stay (strong visual support as well) and release the ball (different command). Walk over to the dog, pick up the ball and walk back with the dog in in heel to the original spot.
3. Repeat 2 and once you are back to the dog, have the dog take the sit-stay next to you and throw the ball into a different direction.
4. Dog in sit-stay next to you. Walk away while dog maintains the position, Chuck It and walk back to the dog, release to fetch.
5. Same as 4 but I have her heel for a few yards into the direction where the ball lies, sit and then release her as a reward for the heel/sit.
6. Dog on a down-stay, go out of sight and Chuck It. Walk back to the dog, have her sit and release to find/fetch the ball.

I did all this today with Deja and she passed the tests with flying colors at only 14 months old!!! It was so much fun to tie together the many things she already masters and to see her intensity to work with me. Any other ideas welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-26-2015, 04:48 PM
Knighted Member

I use a chuck it a lot as well. Since I have a good sized yard I sometimes break it up by standing halfway. I throw one way and when he gets close to me I a) throw a second ball the opposite direction, b) tell him to drop his current ball (while he's still in motion) and c) send him after the next ball. I do obedience with mine as well, but the going to both ends of the yard to retrieve gives him a nice stretch to run.

I also still use a flirt pole (he love loves it).

He also loves Frisbee.

I also play "pinecone" .. throwing pinecones in the same way I play chuck it in the first scenario. That makes his runs much longer.

Xan Varik von Fernheim (born 4/3/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page