Buying a Puppy - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Buying a Puppy

I am thinking of buying a puppy, and I know I want a German Shepherd for their personality and their obedience skills, also their association with security. How do I train a puppy (6 weeks old) to be like a police dog, but still loving and caring?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 08:38 PM

You need to figure out what you mean by "police dog." As you learn and research, your idea of what a police dog is will change. Just focus on a happy puppy with "purely positive" training and you'll be happy too. Read http://www.amazon.com/Purely-Positive-Training-Companion-Competition/dp/0966302001
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-27-2015, 09:04 PM
Crowned Member

First look for a pup with good temperament.

Go to a recommended breeder.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-28-2015, 10:29 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

And if the breeder is letting them leave at 6 weeks keep looking.

Lisa Clark

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, Jarka (up and coming) BHOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-10-2015, 09:00 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by shepperwhisper View Post
I am thinking of buying a puppy, and I know I want a German Shepherd for their personality and their obedience skills, also their association with security. How do I train a puppy (6 weeks old) to be like a police dog, but still loving and caring?

I'll assume that when you say "police dog" you are referring to a PPD (personal protection dog) only the police train police dogs. Many web sites claim to train police dogs but in reality they are training "green dogs" police dog candidates.

Whether you are looking for a puppy to eventually do Sport or PP work, or just a family guardian it is important to do your research. Don't be fooled by fancy web sites that are filled with fluff.

Ask to see the videos they have of their puppy imprinting, in my opinion this is the most crucial time to carefully and skillfully build and prepare a puppy for the real world.

We start our pups within hours of birth, gradually working them up to be able to climb obstacles, run through tunnels in smoke, zip line in a harness and remain calm around gunfire and fireworks by the age of 5 weeks. I have the videos in case anyone doubts me.

There are a number of very good breeders out there that do this as well. One Breeder does this with Airedale's, awesome work.

They understand the importance of imprinting........beyond "banging pots and pans".

Raising a puppy is no different than raising a child, you provide them with safe and obtainable goals that challenge them. Your with them the whole time as their confidence builds and they begin to challenge themselves.

Fight or flight, animals and people are interchangeable. In times of stress we instantly revert back to our comfort zone- what do we normally do in times of stress? Run or stand our ground.

A properly imprinted puppy will stand it's ground because that is what it was taught from the time it was a puppy.

Do your research, if you can it is always best to travel to and see the kennel or breeder yourself in person, prior to doing so ask to see their videos.

Research, it's a wonderful concept that few exercise.

Good luck in your search

Mr. Kim Moore
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page