Physical discipline ? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter

Physical discipline ?

Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject. Given the attitude of some large male German Shepherds, is it OK to apply some physical discipline in certain circumstances? Or should this be out of the question all together?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Elite Member

What do you mean by "physical discipline"?
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Crowned Member

If you mean any type of correction via the hand.. NO WAY! NEVER! Its wrong, how would you like it? When Fritz is really bad, he gets time out, lets him calm down, lets me laugh about it...

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
Never ever hit your dog. No matter his size. No for kicking, hitting with a newspaper or any other object. Collar corrections are ok ... Pinch collar, not choker chain. Hugs are good and so is petting.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:18 PM
Crowned Member

The thing about striking with the hand is that it's not something that happens between dogs in nature. Dogs don't strike each other with their paws unless they're playing. So hitting isn't really something that makes an immediate connection in a dog's brain. They do nip each other on the neck which is why prong collars and e-collars are effective.

- 6 years

At the Bridge:
Cash Adopted 2007 - 7/28/2010

Rocky 4/19/2002 - 1/16/2015 to DM
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:59 PM
Crowned Member

e collars don't happen in nature, seems this board is ok with those though.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:00 PM
Crowned Member

just to be clear, no do not hit your dog.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:06 PM
Crowned Member

There are times when using physical corrections (striking your dog) can cause your dog's behavior to escalate into dangerous behavior.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:25 PM
Crowned Member

There is an art to doing physical punishment and correction or whatever you want to call it. There is a right way and there is a wrong way procedurally. Doing it right is the difference between a well balanced normal dog that understands pressure and punishment and why it happened and how to avoid it, or a confused fearful possibly aggressive animal.
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:28 PM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WooBarker View Post
Just wondering what everyone's thoughts are on this subject. Given the attitude of some large male German Shepherds, is it OK to apply some physical discipline in certain circumstances? Or should this be out of the question all together?
In all cases, the punishment needs to fit the crime. If my dogs are doing something potentially life threatening, I am going to make sure that the correction is immediate, hard and memorable. I do not hit my dogs, other then a smack on the butt, or a tap on the head. I do not ever hit them with an object. I will grab them by the scruff and give a jerk or shake accompanied by a harsh No!
When Bud used to get snotty, I would body check, a lot. Purposely walk into him or give him a hit with my hip/leg. He was a prime candidate for 'hanging', on any number of occasions we had to choke him off things. He was removed from training for refusing to 'out'. I used to jokingly refer to him as my 2 x 4 dog. ' If you want to work him, take a big stick'.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page