I admit right now I hate my dog. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 AM Thread Starter

I admit right now I hate my dog.

He eats his poop for fun to get my husband to chase him when it's fresh.
He never ate my poodles poop and now suddenly he does.
He can be in his kennel for a couple of hours and let outside and goes straight to the chihuahuas potty pad to eat hers. This all changes from week to week. I pick it up right away and spray the ground with a mix of habanero, Texas pete and water. He stays away. My husband follows him with the shovel and fights him for it. He LOVES to be chased. That's his favorite game.
He eats wellness dry food. He gets a mixture of it with organic chicken broth, coconut oil and yogurt. He cannot have pork and he never does. He takes pet tabs daily and has a clean fecal. I even sent it to be centrifuges to check for any infinitesimal trace of a parasite. We say leave it, other than poop he leaves everything. We have tried various medications and holistic treatments. It took a long time to find a food that he could tolerate and have firm stools. We have it right and I guess he is even happier with the taste. He lives a lavish life and I cannot for the life of me understand why he does it. At least he isn't a face licker.
My final option is a shock collar. Any recommendations?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:14 AM Thread Starter

I'm on mobile and cannot edit sorry!
To add. Recall is not an issue unless there is poop. He will come to me without eating it in the morning or cold/rain or my boots aren't nearby. I ALWAYS get it before I let him out. My husband doesn't spray it so he will rip the grass out to get every speck. He is a submissive/excited urinator. If my husband leans over him he pees. Leash is out because he thinks it's time to run and walk and he pees. I limited his water to stop that but it's slowly improving since I've shown my husband that we have to be united in our approach at all times.
On walks he doesn't do it. At the dog park he doesn't mess with any of it.
His or anyone else's. I got him as a rescue at 16 weeks and he had some abuse issues so I know that the collar isn't the best idea but I've tried everything possible. I won't just accept him as a poop eater forever IMO that is giving up on your dog.
His obedience is not an issue. He has his commands and behavior down.
post #3 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 01:23 AM
Crowned Member

If you picked up the poop on the pad before you let the dog out, he would not be able to eat it. I can only conclude that, despite your statement to the contrary, you are not picking up poop as soon as it hits the ground.

All that aside, I know the frustration of this. My 1 yo just reverted to gobbling down dog feces after she needed to be on limited excercise for a week. Joy.

They do out grow it.

And they could be doing something much worse. Yes. Could to!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:29 AM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
PM me. Give me your address. I have a full package of "potty mouth" no more poop eating.

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #5 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 02:35 AM

You are not actually getting a shock collar for this.

Pooper scoop.
post #6 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:13 AM
Crowned Member

It's a constant battle in my house with one or the other dog doing this. Just five minutes ago I was half asleep and the pup went, I flew out there and carried him with me to get the scooper(he wasn't thrilled) but I won

With Midnite I tried the stuff from the vet, hot sauce, pineapple juice and apple cider vinegar--nothing works except picking it up.?

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #7 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 05:17 AM
Crowned Member

I have learned that there are a LOT of poop eaters! Fritz is my first 'pooper-scooper' dog.. When he poops, I scoop, and if I can't get to it, I make sure I get it before he goes out again. Right now we are at the stage of when he poops, he walks away from it, but he is checking it out the whole time.. so, I guess it does get better...

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:42 AM
Crowned Member

Some dogs are raised eating poop as puppies - they are in a setup where poop eating is easy, and they never stop, so that could be a thing, depending on your dog's background.

Some dogs just like poop.

Some dogs like winter poop (the poopsicle) and will snack on that.

Some dogs eat poop as a snack because they are hungry during the day between meals. Think about how we go to the cupboard, my vet said, when we are feeling a bit hungry, dogs can't. So they pick up a cookie, that just happens to be poop.

Dogs with GI issues especially can have issues if not fed and with that feeling hungry feeling. I think it helps dogs with GI issues to have their daily intake at the highest level it can be without making them sick or overweight, and splitting that up throughout the day if possible. 3 feedings, 2 snacks, that kind of thing.

And yeah, no shock collar. You can condition your dog to a muzzle if you are not able to pick up the poop before he goes out, and he can wear that. Italian Basket Dog Muzzles This has to be introduced slowly and positively so that muzzle = good stuff. This is fairly easy to do. My 12 yo GI GSD is wearing one now for potties because she is eating the winter poop. She sticks her nose right in and out she goes, comes in and gets a substantial treat - even though she didn't have a choice in not picking the poop up (note - they can still mush it with the muzzle, or lick it, so work on a positive leave it) she's getting the snack.

post #9 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:49 AM
Elite Member

Hm.... I live in apartment so i dont have the luxury to leave the poop on the ground outside for more than 10 seconds . But my puppy did once.. He pooped in the car then ate it... It was horror....

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
post #10 of 52 (permalink) Old 01-22-2015, 07:55 AM
Knighted Member

If your dog is on a leash you can easily avoid the poop eating.

It's really quite simple, your puppy has created a fun game by knowing the reaction.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page