Don't want to, don't have to! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:07 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Don't want to, don't have to!

Looking for people's responses to their dogs when the dog is given a command and acts like: I don't want to and I don't have to. I have an 11 month old who just started this...

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-19-2015, 11:16 PM
Elite Member

Lol! Darn adolescents... Or, they pretend they can't hear you despite being 10ft away... I address the issue, otherwise it gets worse, but I also recognize the teenage aspect of 'stretching their wings' and pick my battles, so to speak... They do grow out of it. Stay consistent, firm when necessary, but always fair.
post #3 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 01:05 PM
Elite Member

Oh yeah, my 7.5 month old has really started doing this too. I can tell he's thinking, "La la la, I can't hear you! I don't want to so I can't hear you!" So frustrating!

I just make sure not to ask him to do anything unless I'm ready to enforce it. If I ask him to come and he doesn't, I get my butt off the couch, go get him, and bring him to where I was. (If he runs, then I run the other way to get him to chase me.) If he comes, no matter if he takes his sweet time, he gets praise. If he comes quickly, lots of praise and maybe a treat. Same with sits, downs, relax, don't chase the cat, etc. It's like it's back to puppy training!

And I only ask once - this is important because if you ask multiple times, you're just asking him to ignore you.

Like Hineni said, stay consistent, be firm when necessary, and be patient! (Oh, it's so frustrating!!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:24 PM

It is frustrating! But like the other 2 said, stick with it. Make sure you are keeping your dog engaged in training, keep it fun, fun, fun!! No matter how aggravated you get, keep your cool! This only lasts a little while, the effort is sooooo worth it!
post #5 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:38 PM

What McWeagle said.

My 8 month old intact male is 84 lbs....he does not get a choice, I do not want him knowing he can say no because he is so big! If I give a command, he HAS to do it. It is not his choice to make. So yes, I am very careful not to ask anything if I can't enforce it, and leash on in the house most of the time so I can be sure I am able to enforce. Lots of praise when he does it right.
post #6 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 07:47 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonemoore View Post
What McWeagle said.

My 8 month old intact male is 84 lbs....he does not get a choice, I do not want him knowing he can say no because he is so big! If I give a command, he HAS to do it. It is not his choice to make. So yes, I am very careful not to ask anything if I can't enforce it, and leash on in the house most of the time so I can be sure I am able to enforce. Lots of praise when he does it right.
you really make your dog drag a leash around in the house most of the time? holy smokes! if you can't enforce a command with your voice you should start training again from square one IMO.
post #7 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 08:37 PM
Knighted Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Cheyanna
How do you enforce a command with your voice? Fiona's trainer said the same thing about the leash in the house. He said never give a command you cannot enforce.

I am being serious about my question. I would like to be able to do that instead of a collar correction. I do the "AHHHH". Is that it?

Cheyanna
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Handler for Service Dog, Fiona Van Sandstein (5/23/12 -- )
post #8 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:22 PM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyanna View Post
How do you enforce a command with your voice? Fiona's trainer said the same thing about the leash in the house. He said never give a command you cannot enforce.

I am being serious about my question. I would like to be able to do that instead of a collar correction. I do the "AHHHH". Is that it?
you repeat the command again but add "no" infront and sound more serious/add some balls to your voice. like really shake the walls and lose the happy tone.
post #9 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

All good advice! Thanks for the encouragement!

I am being careful about what I ask and only ask once. I am being patient about his antics and remembering that some day we will be beyond this! If I give a command, I enforce it, but I try to be "diplomatic" about it.

I was having a private obedience lesson and when the trainer was working with him and showing me how to teach the finish on the right, she said to Simon, "It's a good thing your mother is committed to obedience." because Simon has his own ideas.... Later, while practicing the recall, he ran to toy box in the room and sat front and center and would not leave. When the trainer took out a toy to use as a reward for obedience commands, Simon was having none of it and would not leave the toy box. It was not the toy he wanted. So, finally, the trainer took the lid off again and Simon took out the toy he wanted so we could get on with it!!

Yes! Simon has a leash on in the house! He is incredibly precocious and everything goes in his mouth. I have to diligently watch him or crate him. He just chewed through an electrical cord.... not plugged in. I can't have my coats around as he goes through my pockets. He loves mouthing buttons, but doesn't pull them off. On his own, he brings me his metal food bowl when he thinks it is meal time and his kong when it is empty.

I tell him "Down" and he runs to the bedroom and "downs" on top of the bed with a laughing face. (I do not laugh.) I don't want to make him "collar shy" so having a leash on prevents that when I lead him off the bed to where I told him to down.

He is handler sensitive so being patient is the best policy. He is very devoted to me which makes "forgiving" him easier.

Moriah
post #10 of 46 (permalink) Old 01-20-2015, 09:28 PM
Elite Member

i don't really raise my voice anymore unless i catch one with their head in the trash or catbox but when ignored i definitely change my tone.

perfect example here FF to 1:16 and you see my tone change when ignored. dogs can sense your tone and will comply when you sound serious.

Last edited by scarfish; 01-20-2015 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page