E-collar question - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:46 PM Thread Starter

E-collar question

Hi all. I am still new to the forums and to train both of my gsd. I have an 11 month old who obeys most basic commands however he has some nuisance behavior such as jumping on strangers (even though proper greetings have been introduced countless times) jumping on the counter and/or gates when he is gated off to a section of the house and not recalling if he is distracted. He knows what I am asking him to do I'm sure of it he just figures **** do what he wants to do because there is no repercussions. Please let me know if this tool could possibly be night my situation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 10:48 PM Thread Starter

By the way the blanked out word was he'll and would this tool possibly help my situation.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-29-2014, 11:22 PM
Crowned Member

Tritronics and Handtronics work the same but handtronics is a lot cheaper.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 09:22 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Rather than just using an e-collar to punish right now for all the MANY behaviors you are having issues with... I'd rather start teaching or managing him a lot better BEFORE he's going to do something wrong.

I know I have to just constantly be correcting/punishing my dogs all day long and teaching them how stupid and BAD they are over and over and over and over.

Instead, I prefer to teach them what I DO want them to do so they think they are brilliant and WONDERFUL dogs! Happy and confident ready to greet the world and not have at the back of their mind that at any minute they will be PUNISHED and BAD again and again and again.

All the counters and gate stuff is easy. Use a crate. Your dog will instantly be a fabulous 'rock star' with zero issues and concerns for those behaviors.

As far at the jumping up, you need to TEACH him to 'sit' before he gets attention and petting.

Do not call him unless you 'know' he's going to come until you figure this out.

How much a start did you get on all of this ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

How are the dog classes going? What does you instructor recommend?

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Zombie Queen Moderator

I would agree with MaggieRoseLee

Not averse to using ecollars but you really can mess up a dog if not careful and the correction for jumping could backfire to the dog thinking people "attack" him. You could inadvertently turn an annoying and fixable behavior into a dangerous one.

Freedom is earned. For any bad behavior train a good alternate (for example sit for jump) and don't give the dog freedom to make mistakes until a trained behavior (such as coming when called) is solid.

Nancy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-NAPWDA Certified Cadaver Dog

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Partner in Crime
Waiting at the Bridge: Grim (NAPWDA), Cyra, Toby, Oscar, Linus, Rainbow, Arlo, & Waggles
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg
In your tool box of tools for dog training, your first defense is your hands. My dog jumped on your back with your back turned away when greeting you. She knocked the glasses off my neighbor she's known all her life. So, at 11 months, that behavior is incorrect. My first question is: did this just start and how much work have you put into the animals training before deciding to ask about ECT..

I will give you the same advice I was given, start with a "Sprenger" pinch collar and work up to an e-collar when and IF necessary. A couple of good whacks to the top of the head, will work better and faster than what you're asking about, and if you will not hit you're dog, why on earth would you shock it.. > ??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-30-2014, 12:40 PM Thread Starter

I was under the impression that e collars were more of a stimulation that a shock. My dog is smart but he is too smart sometimes. He knows commands but sometimes let's excitement get the best of him. I use a prong collar for greeting and he does much better with a greeting and is really well behaved on the prong collar but he knows when he is wearing the collar and when he is not. It's the off leash train he needs help with.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 02:14 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to sehrgutcsg
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessew87 View Post
I was under the impression that e collars were more of a stimulation that a shock. My dog is smart but he is too smart sometimes. He knows commands but sometimes let's excitement get the best of him. I use a prong collar for greeting and he does much better with a greeting and is really well behaved on the prong collar but he knows when he is wearing the collar and when he is not. It's the off leash train he needs help with.
Since nobody has jumped in and answered you and none of my posts were deleted in the last few days, I will try to explain:
True, stimulation is the first step, however human nature kicks in and if the lite stimulation does not work, what do you think happens next > ?

The dial gets turned up !! Now you went from a light buzz to fully falling on the floor drunk in about 5 seconds..

Someone here knows more then I do, maybe you'll be graced by LC > ?

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 03:05 PM
Crowned Member

Your dog is a puppy. And he will be a puppy for some time to come. Evenso, an 80 pound puppy jumping up on strangers can be uncomfortable and even a lawsuit waiting to happen.

If you want to go with an e-collar, get some good training from someone who is qualified to train with the tool. You will then not waste your money on the wrong type of collar, and you may be able to teach your dog the sim level = negative marker and not that strangers sometimes cause you to get shocked out of no where.

Good luck with the pup.

Heidi Ho, Odie
Joy-Joy, Bear Cub, Hepsi-Pepsi
Cujo2, Karma Chameleon
Ramona the Pest, Kojak -- who loves you baby?
Tiny Tinnie, Susie's Uzzi, Kaiah -- The Baby Monster.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 12-31-2014, 06:38 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Do not get an e-collar right now for your puppy.

If you instead spend the money on a good trainer and classes I bet you'll be amazed how fast you both learn and how well his behavior improves.

Dog training is a challenge and I'd rather not mess up my dogs with an electric shock when it's me who needs to continue to learn the best method to work with my current dog. Adding the e-collar when it's a TRAINING issue may make things much worse. But once you really learn a good method the collar can be used to fine tune it. Right now it would be like using a sledge hammer to put a nail on the wall for a tiny picture frame.

I bet if you really took a deep breath and thought of better ways to 'manage' your dog BEFORE he was 'bad' you'd be amazed how much less you are having to correct him. Plus getting a good start on ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

When you think of 'engagement' and 'tricks' you may think they are a stupid waste of time and you want an OBEDIENT DOG!!!! But the fact of the matter is, if you can make being with you, learning from you, doing ANYTHING with you and listening each time you open your mouth... then 'obedience training' will be as fun as easy for you AND your dog as learning any trick.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page