Physical Play with dogs.. Getting Primal with dogs. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 09:57 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Physical Play with dogs.. Getting Primal with dogs.

" I had this theory about interactions between dogs very early in my K−9 training career. As the article here states, I took a chair and a video camera to the zoo and videotaped hours of the interaction between wild canids, mostly wolves and coyotes. Rather than playing with a ball or a tug toy as humans mostly think of playing with their dogs, I saw that dogs at play with each other, were quite physical. "They run, they bump shoulders, they throw hips into one another." When I started interacting with my own dog and those that I trained like this, the dynamic changed dramatically. Before that, I'd been trained, as was in vogue then, to dominate my dog with physical corrections, Alpha Rolls, and physical force. Suddenly I was getting dramatically better results, and I never looked back."

LouCastle

Discuss
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:31 AM
Elite Member

My pups (and every dog I've ever had) love to wrestle with me, be 'pushed', 'bumped' and 'manhandled' (in love and play of course) and it has always seemed to make their bond with me stronger.... They can start getting really rough, so boundaries have to be established, but after that, it is fun (a good workout, lol) and it seems to edify both parties.... just my experiences
post #3 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 10:56 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hineni7 View Post
My pups (and every dog I've ever had) love to wrestle with me, be 'pushed', 'bumped' and 'manhandled' (in love and play of course) and it has always seemed to make their bond with me stronger.... They can start getting really rough, so boundaries have to be established, but after that, it is fun (a good workout, lol) and it seems to edify both parties.... just my experiences
I agree so much I have always done this with my dog...

Its a form of play, and deeper bond, but it also establishes a pack hierarchy i think...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:01 AM
Crowned Member

Makes good sense to me....I try and engage my dogs at their level...don't really care if I get ridiculed for it either.

SuperG
post #5 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:04 AM Thread Starter
Banned

The inherent problem with an alpha roll is that it is structured...

It is something people do or did... That is like an 'intervention'...

I can alpha roll my dogs if I want to anytime... but that is because i have wrestled and played with them often.... Its a game for them... That I always win, in the end... I show I am the alpha... but they always enjoy the play...

A alpha roll though is a structured intervention... They may not be used to that type of contact... Some trainers or people might try it with a new dog... or a dog they want to 'fix' a behaviour... maybe a dog that they adopted, or in training...
The problem is this can be dangerous... Its like a challenge to the dog...

Were as play and roughing it out with your dog, is more natural... The bond forms over time... The structure is 'natural'...

Hopefully LouCastle will make a guest appearance and give us some more insight on the way he uses it, and what he means by this statement
post #6 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:13 AM
Crowned Member

have said many times that people treat pups as fragile , with kid gloves , coddled as babies .

actually there is an article in the last issue of Dogs Naturally magazine which talks about something very similar in socializing young dogs .

Part of my pup's experience is a little rough handling , which is not at all anything to do with corrections, just very matter of fact , which becomes "normal" to them so nothing to be concerned with .

Carmen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by carmspack; 12-13-2014 at 11:18 AM.
post #7 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:20 AM
Crowned Member

Never done the alpha roll to any of the dogs I have had....

I don't know if this is the same...but over a period of time, when the pup got to a certain age and would willingly roll over on it's side and expose the soft of it's belly by lifting a hind leg...and allow me to massage their belly or at least not show any resistance to my hand being there ...I took this posture/behavior as one of "trust" or a sign of rank in some sense. I could be completely incorrect....perhaps the dogs just enjoyed the physical contact???

Maybe someone knowledgeable regarding "body english" exhibited by a dog knows what this physical gesture indicates.

SuperG
post #8 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 11:45 AM
Elite Member

the last couple days its been cold outside and i try to wear out my 9 months old indoor so i just wear thick jacket and gloves to protect me from his claw and teeth. we would wrestle until i give up lol cause he has unlimited source of energy... 9 months vs 34 years old.
Now he gets really2x close to me again like when he was 3 months old... just stick like a glue.

Ace Von Backyard 3/12/2014
post #9 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 12:05 PM
Knighted Member

I will lend you my 17 yr old son, I've said from day one hum and my dog are littermates. Neither of them runs out of energy for this kind of play.

Carmspack Gus
Nov/25/2012
post #10 of 37 (permalink) Old 12-13-2014, 12:51 PM
Crowned Member

I thought that was part of the allure of a GSD....the rough housing and wrasslin". It does take a bit of patience and training as even a juvenile GSD has the tools to bring it on at a level which would overwhelm most humans.
Over a short period of time they become so adept at using their teeth and jaws during play sessions. They are able to use their incisors to "gingerly" grasp hold of loose sleeves and pants legs without putting pressure on the unexposed flesh....I suppose on a rare occasion they get a bit of flesh under the sleeves...but it is unintentional.

I have a sweatshirt or two with the arms stretched out about an extra foot or so and in tatters as testimony to our play sessions.

So much fun and no admission charged.

SuperG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page