Help me get past his bathroom problems!! - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Help me get past his bathroom problems!!

My name is Travis and I have been lurking and learning on this site for years now. I tried my best to educate myself very well before purchasing "Jax" at the beginning of this year. Here is his picture from the day we brought him home, and then at one year old.....everyone loves pictures.

100 pounds of still growing, hair shedding, toy shredding greatness. He is the first GSD I have ever had, and the first dog I have had in many years. He is my wifes first dog period. I am working very hard to train him positively and in most cases I am pleased with his behavior right now. He does however still have some bathroom issues that we need to work on...

When I get home, he gets excited and nervous, and a host of other high strung emotions. He always comes to greet me, and gets right to me before he starts to potty on the floor. It almost like he doesn't realize he is doing it because after I have greeted him back, he looks back and notices and runs off ashamed. I know many dogs do this, but Jax actually goes a fair amount before stopping. I have started calling my wife about 5 minutes before I get home and she lets him out to potty so I know his bladder isn't full, but he still does it when I get there. This is the only time this happens, other then that, he doesn't go in his kennel, or have any type of accidents whatsoever with potty. For a couple weeks I didn't acknowledge that he had done it until he was gone and then cleaned it up without him being able to see it. Now I just have her bring him out so he does it outside and not in the house.

About once a week or so he will deficate in the house, after he has just gone out and done it in his dedicated area. This morning for example(the event that lead to this post), I took him out to an area about 50'x50' I have flagged off for him as his "go poop" area. He did his business just like normal, then we went back in for breakfast. The flags are new to him, but he hasn't had any trouble staying in the area, as it was where he was going before anyway. My wife called after I left and told me he had gone in the house again. He is right at a year old and we still can't trust him to stay out of his kennel for long periods of time. I get up earlier than my wife and do my routine including taking care of Jax, then leave for work. My wife gets up about 20 minutes later and begins her routine before going to work. This is the only time of the day he is out of his kennel unsupervised, and is also the time where about once every week or two, after I have taken him out to "go poop", he deficates again in the house.

I don't know what to do. My wife and I both have day jobs, and he has never had problems staying in his kennel while we are at work, but I would like to get to a point where he does not have to. He never ever goes to the bathroom in his kennel, and I know he is still a puppy so we have other issues to work on so he can stay out, but this needs to stop. It would be different if he had been free all day and went in the house, but this happens almost right after he has gone outside.

Please help!

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:24 PM
Crowned Member

On the "greet & pee" - he's just happy to see you. So have him greet you outside - then you will not be distressed with the added "expression" of joy and you will not exacerbate this by having the dog feel bad about it. (It usually gets better if it is ignored -- and given time.)

If he is defecating in the house after going outside, he hasn't really done all he needed to do when he was out. Keep him out longer. That's all I have to offer except maybe when you bring him in, tether him to you so you can move him outside more quickly when the need arrises. (You WILL learn to read your dog.)

Take heart - at 1 year 2 months my youngest appears to be "toilet" trained.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-05-2014, 01:58 PM
Crowned Member

I agree with Middle, he hasn't finished pooping. I know Fritz makes one big pile, goes for a walk/sniff about, then apx 2 minutes later a smaller one, then maybe another smaller one..

"There is a lot to be thankful for if you take the time to look. Example.. I am sitting here thinking how nice it is that wrinkles don't hurt!". Author Unknown

Enjoy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page