Fenzi Academy Tricks--Finnick - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Fenzi Academy Tricks--Finnick

First recorded session. This was the 3rd session shaping a spin.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v...84594998987914

Can someone tell me what direction this is? Do you use dogs direction or the direction to you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:35 PM

Nice! (I'm no expert, but having worked on shaping my own dog, that's a nice behavior in 3 sessions!)

I would call that "Left." It's also counter-clockwise for the dog. I name/call the behavior the direction my dog goes. It doesn't really matter which way you "name" it, or even if you attach at other words to the behavior (pickle and barney, for example).

I use Lena's "left" and "right" because I dabble in agility, and establishing direction recognition will help if I ever get to the point of using directional commands from one obstacle to the other.

- Kayla

Dover von Ziegeln Zage (GSD, 3 yrs)
Dutchess Lena of Black Lake RATI (Keeshond, 12 yrs)

“Once you have had a wonderful dog, a life without one, is a life diminished.”
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 08:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Yea I figured it didn't matter which I named it. I just was wondering what the appropriate direction was (I always get confused as a handler). We too are in agility so I know directions will be important later.

And yes he picked it up super fast! I was a little shocked. We've been working on a back behavior and that one seems to be more tricky for him. I guess each behavior has it's difficultly level for each dog right? Lol.

When I first started this session he had added circling around the floor lamp! I had to move it out of the way...we will get there but one thing at a time! I think he's going to always be one step ahead of me!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2014, 09:16 PM
Crowned Member

Ever driven a remote controlled car or airplane? The direction is given as if you were sitting in the driver's seat. When I run agility, I don't want to have to think about it- so same mindset- as if I was in the driver's seat. We drive (most of us) daily and should be able to think left/right pretty easily. Therefore I named my spin left/spin right as if I was saddled on the back of the dog.

Willy
RATCHX3 High Jinks vom Neuanfang - Gotchya Day: 1/23/2013 DN, SG, SR, CA
Inspire Spark to Ignition! (Ignite) Gotchya Day: 10/8/2016
C-ATCH Pimg - RATO, UJJ (x2), DJX, HIT, CA, CGC, High in Games, Reserve High in Standard- CPE Nationals 2014
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page