help with training golden ret. - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

help with training golden ret.

sorry i know hes not GSD, But im having issues with being strict with Samson. Im not sure why me and my boyfriend are not sticking to our guns, With Zero because he is a GSD and responds so well to the whole "alfa" and pack mentality it was easier to be strict with him and keep him in line. But i honestly feel that Samson doesn't get that way of life, hes so happy go lucky that crate training him is hard. He still cries for a good hour at night after 4 weeks of going in there every night. he just wants the door open so he doesnt feel locked up. idk do you guys think i should be just as strict with him as i was with Zero? does their breed change the training method? Everyone says how great golden are when they are older and i dont want to over do it and make him not happy go lucky.

"And they call it...puppy looooovvveeee"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Crowned Member

I have two Goldens. Both are very happy dogs. My oldest was much more easy to train and the younger one still gets into trouble, he is a work in progress My oldest golden is the most obedient dog I have or ever had. Robyn my female GSD is right there with him. They both had the same exact training. It's very hard to be strict with them because they are always just happy. My youngest one just doesn't understand anger or fear, he lives in a very happy world. I would say to stand your ground, they are usually very food motivated and big time pleasers.

Misty- Samoyed Mix, Tannor- Golden Retriever CGC
Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

okay, ill keep up with his kennel training. he HATES it, i feed him in there and he will run in grab food and run out. I hide treats in there and try and make it fun but he just wants to sleep with the big dogs. (who are kennel trained but dont use theirs all the time) I just dont want to break his happiness from me always being strict. like you said with your he doesnt understand anger hes just go go happy happy. so it makes me sad when he cried because i know he really doesnt understand the concept of being away from me. UGH. i never would have thought being a happy dog would be harder haha

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:16 AM
Crowned Member

How old is he? My oldest was out of the crate at 3 months without any issues. My younger one has moved from a crate to the laundry room. He continues to get into stuff when he gets bored, he loves paper. Last night he was looking at me with the ornament in his mouth, in his room hd went. We were at the ER veg last year because he ate an ornament If he can be trusted out of the crate, there is no harm in trying it. I have one dog out of six that will go into the crate on her own to sleep and she is the only one that was not crate trained.

Robyn- GSD CGC, TC, Midnite-GSD CGC,TC, Brennan-Golden Retriever CGC, Batman-Husky/Greyhound , Apollo-GSD
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:30 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

hes 11 weeks. and honestly hes really good out of the crate, we have a god door thats open at night and he goes right outside to use it, im just having a mental block that i want him to learn to sleep in a kennel because thats what i did with my GSD and my Lab and they both loved the crate but we ran out of room and put them down, My lab keeps trying to jam into samsons small kennel haha. maybe i need to relax on the kennel thing

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:35 AM

Every dog is different. If something works for one, it may not work for another. I try to do what works for each dog. If your pup can be trusted to be loose, let him out. To me, the crate is just a tool for getting to that goal. In my opinion, if your dog is already at that point, he doesn't need the crate.

For me, no dog training method is set in stone.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:40 AM
Crowned Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pawsed View Post
Every dog is different. If something works for one, it may not work for another. I try to do what works for each dog. If your pup can be trusted to be loose, let him out. To me, the crate is just a tool for getting to that goal. In my opinion, if your dog is already at that point, he doesn't need the crate.

For me, no dog training method is set in stone.
I agree. They are all different. I would test it and see what he does. It's not impossible. Mine was potty trained at that age and I haven't been that lucky since

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 10:41 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

thank you guys!!! ill try it!! i just dont want him to be a brat lol, hes so darn cute i cant help but give into him

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page