loose leash walking / plastic prong and other questions - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 05:41 AM Thread Starter

loose leash walking / plastic prong and other questions

I am kind of confused so I thought I'd ask for help

Neo just turned 5 months old and he is overall a good boy, his training is progressing well and I even managed to teach him the heel position and he would heel for a step or two at home.

my issues with him are basically

1. Loose leash walking: I am not asking for much just to be able to walk him on a slack leash. when we walk the first few minutes are always the hardest he pulls etc... then starts to get better but still pulls every now and then. I have never really "trained" him for proper leach walking I just do it while I walk him. He never had a collar on till now I am using a basic harness. I just bought a plastic prong (good dog collar) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002DVTHJY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and was wondering if it is OK to use it on him at that age. I know prong are to be reserved for later but I have read somewhere that these are good for puppies.

2. overwhelming distractions: During our training sessions when I can control everything he does great. I can put food under his nose or play with his favorite ball in front of him and he wouldn't flinch or break his down stay etc... however when something happens (sees a cat, my sisters that he loves comes by etcc...) he totally loose it. he is in total frenzy and I really don't know how can I get him past these situations. is it still too early or should I start working on it and if so how ? I tried to not let him approach my sister before he is calm but total loss of time he barks and whines etc...

3. Jumping doesnt happen with me, he is very calm with me even early morning when I just let him out of his crate he still is a great dog. But when my wife or sister wants to feed him he goes in frenzy again starts jumping on them etc....

4. football ball crazy: my son loves to play football (Should I say soccer ) and every time I need to make sure Neo doesn't see him or else he goes crazy and starts barking if i pull him back or will just run to the ball and not let him play. any easy way to desensitize him ?

thanks

Last edited by ChouMaKen; 11-15-2014 at 05:48 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 06:19 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouMaKen View Post
I am kind of confused so I thought I'd ask for help

Neo just turned 5 months old and he is overall a good boy, his training is progressing well and I even managed to teach him the heel position and he would heel for a step or two at home.

my issues with him are basically

1. Loose leash walking: I am not asking for much just to be able to walk him on a slack leash. when we walk the first few minutes are always the hardest he pulls etc... then starts to get better but still pulls every now and then. I have never really "trained" him for proper leach walking I just do it while I walk him. He never had a collar on till now I am using a basic harness. I just bought a plastic prong (good dog collar) http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 and was wondering if it is OK to use it on him at that age. I know prong are to be reserved for later but I have read somewhere that these are good for puppies.

2. overwhelming distractions: During our training sessions when I can control everything he does great. I can put food under his nose or play with his favorite ball in front of him and he wouldn't flinch or break his down stay etc... however when something happens (sees a cat, my sisters that he loves comes by etcc...) he totally loose it. he is in total frenzy and I really don't know how can I get him past these situations. is it still too early or should I start working on it and if so how ? I tried to not let him approach my sister before he is calm but total loss of time he barks and whines etc...

3. Jumping doesnt happen with me, he is very calm with me even early morning when I just let him out of his crate he still is a great dog. But when my wife or sister wants to feed him he goes in frenzy again starts jumping on them etc....

4. football ball crazy: my son loves to play football (Should I say soccer ) and every time I need to make sure Neo doesn't see him or else he goes crazy and starts barking if i pull him back or will just run to the ball and not let him play. any easy way to desensitize him ?

thanks
a prong is fine on a 5 month old. just don't give real hard corrections, you never should but be extra careful with a 5 month old. i'm don't know if the plastic one are any good or not.

if your dog runs out of the lead you give, slight snap of the prong and a verbal command, heel would be the. i usually say wait. or stop walking if they walk ahead and go again when they finally sit and wait.

teach him "down" they shouldputhim in a down when they walk in the room.

football, i have no clue. i still have to yell at the dogs for chasing the cats. maybe put him inside?
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 07:55 AM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

If you wanted to do this the fastest and best, built in distractions in a safe environment, then I'd sign up for some good age appropriate dog classes.

I would only use a metal prong if I had to use a prong, not sure of the breaking strength of the plastic ones but am sure how strong our dogs (one one end of the leash) and I am (on the other side of the leash).

If you want to just enjoy your walks generally and NOT have them be a frustrated training session, then I'd buy a harness like the Gentle Leader. Gives you control, fun walks will be back, and you can save the 'training' for actual training sessions.

Do you have a good start on ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 08:36 AM

It all sounds normal. He is a young dog. My dog has learned to walk past kids playing soccer or basketball. But seeing it is your son, it is natural you pup wants to join him. Pulling him back will just increase his drive! Maybe playing ball with him on the sidelines will help.

As far as the women in your house go, a lot of "sit" while they get the food out would be the way to go. And every time that butt leaves the floor the food prep comes to a halt. It will take awhile but he'll eventually figure it out.

As far as a prong goes, I have no experience there. I was very tempted after a frustrating walk one morning to drive straight to the store and buy one, but I took a deep breath and didn't. Now my pup walks well with a martingale collar. He still may chase a cat that darts out of the bushes. He still pulls a bit when he wants to go visit another dot, but over time I am seeing him mature and get more self control. And I reward good behavior with a ball on a rope toy. When he does well instead of a treat we do a bit of tug and chase play.

By the way, I am not anti-prong. I am just holding off to see if I really need one.

about.me/car2ner
Patton CGC BH
Chief fetch fanatic

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 10:53 AM
Master Member

I had one of those plastic ones -- I think they are crap ...but that's just me ...mine went back within an hour of using it ...plus I found it hard to get on and off.
I use a regular metal medium size prong on Roxy -- it's the ONLY thing that got the leash pulling under control
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-15-2014, 11:43 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
If you wanted to do this the fastest and best, built in distractions in a safe environment, then I'd sign up for some good age appropriate dog classes.

I would only use a metal prong if I had to use a prong, not sure of the breaking strength of the plastic ones but am sure how strong our dogs (one one end of the leash) and I am (on the other side of the leash).

If you want to just enjoy your walks generally and NOT have them be a frustrated training session, then I'd buy a harness like the Gentle Leader. Gives you control, fun walks will be back, and you can save the 'training' for actual training sessions.

Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness Fit and Use - YouTube

Do you have a good start on ---> https://www.germanshepherds.com/forum...s-puppies.html

I found my 9-month boy was getting de-sensitized to a prong collar, so I went with a gentle leader. It take time to help the dog get used to it, but it has been very effective. I signed up for a basic obedience class given by a certified behaviorist so I could have the distraction of other dogs. She recommended a gentle leader.

We are in nose work at this training facility, though agility is their big focus. i want to get my guy trained up enough to do agility off leash around a lot of distractions.

Moriah
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 05:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarfish View Post
a prong is fine on a 5 month old. just don't give real hard corrections, you never should but be extra careful with a 5 month old. i'm don't know if the plastic one are any good or not.

if your dog runs out of the lead you give, slight snap of the prong and a verbal command, heel would be the. i usually say wait. or stop walking if they walk ahead and go again when they finally sit and wait.

teach him "down" they shouldputhim in a down when they walk in the room.

football, i have no clue. i still have to yell at the dogs for chasing the cats. maybe put him inside?
Thank you scarfish, I returned the plastic one on unopened and ordered a 2.25mm HS one

I do put him in "Down" but he breaks in in a whim one any of these event occur, I think I should take a step back and evaluate maybe put him further away from the action and then closer gradually

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post

Gentle Leader Easy Walk Harness Fit and Use - YouTube

Thanks Maggie, as helpful as always. Unfortunately in my neck of the woods I am alone no puppy class and stuff like that but with your help here (and everyone else in the forum) I am managing rather fine. I followed your advise in another thread and went for the 2.25 mm prong collar

Quote:
Originally Posted by car2ner View Post
It all sounds normal. He is a young dog. My dog has learned to walk past kids playing soccer or basketball. But seeing it is your son, it is natural you pup wants to join him. Pulling him back will just increase his drive! Maybe playing ball with him on the sidelines will help.

As far as the women in your house go, a lot of "sit" while they get the food out would be the way to go. And every time that butt leaves the floor the food prep comes to a halt. It will take awhile but he'll eventually figure it out.

As far as a prong goes, I have no experience there. I was very tempted after a frustrating walk one morning to drive straight to the store and buy one, but I took a deep breath and didn't. Now my pup walks well with a martingale collar. He still may chase a cat that darts out of the bushes. He still pulls a bit when he wants to go visit another dot, but over time I am seeing him mature and get more self control. And I reward good behavior with a ball on a rope toy. When he does well instead of a treat we do a bit of tug and chase play.

By the way, I am not anti-prong. I am just holding off to see if I really need one.
Thank car2ner I saw your video in another thread and your boy is handsome

will try to take him at the next soccer training of my son and see how close he can get without getting frenetic, I am already dreading the thought itself but I think it has to be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyssa62 View Post
I had one of those plastic ones -- I think they are crap ...but that's just me ...mine went back within an hour of using it ...plus I found it hard to get on and off.
I use a regular metal medium size prong on Roxy -- it's the ONLY thing that got the leash pulling under control
Thank you lyssa62, as per your and others advise I returned the plastic prong and ordered a HS one, I was just hopping a plastic one would be milder for a puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moriah View Post
I found my 9-month boy was getting de-sensitized to a prong collar, so I went with a gentle leader. It take time to help the dog get used to it, but it has been very effective. I signed up for a basic obedience class given by a certified behaviorist so I could have the distraction of other dogs. She recommended a gentle leader.

We are in nose work at this training facility, though agility is their big focus. i want to get my guy trained up enough to do agility off leash around a lot of distractions.
Thanks Moriah, I did think about gentle leader but didn't find any extensive feedback on it so stuck with the pinch, I will however keep it in mind just in case
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-16-2014, 06:34 AM
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChouMaKen View Post
I do put him in "Down" but he breaks in in a whim one any of these event occur, I think I should take a step back and evaluate maybe put him further away from the action and then closer gradually
you might just have to add more balls to your command. when there is a lot of excitment you will have to get more serious. if he breaks the down don't be afraid to yell down again at the top of your lungs and sound mean. you have to make yourself intimidating and really roar the command. they will buckle and do what you want.

my wife has somewhat a problem with this. our trainer is constantly telling her she needs to be louder and more serious sounding when the dogs don't listen. she feels bad and thinks it's abuse but it's not. getting them to focus on you in an exciting atmosphere may save their life one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page