Underground fence training - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 01:19 PM Thread Starter

Underground fence training

Hello, I'm new here and was hoping for some insight. I have a 10 month old german shepherd and I'm trying to train him to stay within the boundary flags. I started by using the beep and vibrate first like they said and he does not respond at all and tried to eat the flags lol. I then put it on level 1 correction and did the same training. He won't go near the fence now an I can't train him like the book says? My question is do you think he's a fast learner? I let him play in the yard with me and he stays but if I throw his toy past he will go after it and get the correction. Has anyone trained puppies of this age before? He is very smart and has a great background. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 02:53 PM
Elite Member

I don't have much experience, just one dog but mine learned very quickly. He got a total of maybe 2 zaps and he knew the game.

However! Please be aware that the fence keeps your dog in but not other dogs out. That was our downfall. A big dog came in and roughhoused all over Traveler, who was only a few months old at the time. It wasn't pretty and after that, he would take a high level zap as he was running out of the yard after neighborhood dogs. That resulted in another encounter that he initiated.

I spent tons of time trying to train Traveler that all dogs are not bad dogs. I still don't fully trust him to this day.

I really didn't want a real fence but I have one now.

Lynn & Traveler
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 03:16 PM
Knighted Member

Like Traveler's Mom - I don't have a lot of experience but the one person I knew that had a GSD that tried one of those fences gave up because they don't keep out other dogs and once their dog learned that he could chase the other dog and only get a charge on the fence line he barged right through whenever there was something interesting on the other side of the line. I have a 6' fence to keep others out and mine in.

Teri

Amorette Vom Godinghofer of Summerland (AKA Abby) 5/21/15
Snake Vom Eselspfad RN CGC (AKA Raina) 3/5/08
Pyrate CGC 4/1/03-5/16/12 RIP
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Too many to list waiting at the bridge but remembering them all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM

I have an almost 6 month old male totally contained by Invisible Fence, and we had help with the training process from them. It did take about 3-4 weeks and gradually increasing the correction - but he has been totally trained to the fence since about 14 weeks. He would LOVE to eat a cat, but even the cats he won't go through the fence for. Make sure the collar is good and snug - you should be able to get a finger under one prong, but not both.

Sadly, no, they don't keep other dogs out, but I am lucky as we very rarely have loose dogs near us, and several of our neighbours' dogs are also well contained by invisible fence. That said, I don't let him go out when I am not around to keep an eye/ear on him just in case something does make its way on to the property. We did a 3 acre area in invisible fence, and love it. But yes it does have limitations and the training is very important. Takes going in and out of the boundary many times in a controlled manner in the firsts weeks with increasing correction if necessary, and lots of temptations until you find the right level. Being a pup, I keep an eye on my guy for any sign that he has gotten tougher and willing to take the correction.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-03-2014, 10:13 PM
Crowned Member

Have successfully used the Invisible Fence brand in 3 homes and with 3 different GSDs.

Always started with electrical tape on prongs to disable everything but the tone.

Put up flags and when leashed dog ( used a long line) got within the borders of the sound - set at about 5' - I'd pull pup back while saying "no."

After a few days of this I'd remove the tape and let pup wander ( again leashed on long line) and if he/she got shocked, I'd immediately pull towards me.

Don't think I've ever had a GSD test more that one or two times.

Don't know about other brands.

Good luck.

Anne

Nothing is as simple as it seems or as complicated as we make it~

Attitude is everything -- Pick a good one!
Sofie AKA Ussina vom Haus Brezel
Jack von Jagenstadt
Tatty - Burmese bad cat

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-04-2014, 03:33 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply. My gsd is the same way. 2 or 3 mild zaps and he's done. I just spent two hours outside with him while picking up leaves and people walked by and he would not go within 5 or 6 feet of the fence. I'm not to worried about other dogs because I don't plan on leaving him out when im not home... We are so happy he can play outside. He's only 10 months old and a big baby lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler's Mom View Post
I don't have much experience, just one dog but mine learned very quickly. He got a total of maybe 2 zaps and he knew the game.

However! Please be aware that the fence keeps your dog in but not other dogs out. That was our downfall. A big dog came in and roughhoused all over Traveler, who was only a few months old at the time. It wasn't pretty and after that, he would take a high level zap as he was running out of the yard after neighborhood dogs. That resulted in another encounter that he initiated.

I spent tons of time trying to train Traveler that all dogs are not bad dogs. I still don't fully trust him to this day.

I really didn't want a real fence but I have one now.

Lynn & Traveler
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	250721  
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 11-07-2014, 09:50 AM

I have a wire around our 5 acres. Our 11 month old has known for at least 3 months exactly where the boundary is.

I have the flags up still, took her all around on the leash a few times. My flags are placed inside the 'warning zone' on the field, she can't get to a flag with at least a warning tone.

If I am out with her even now, I will walk up, touch a flag, look at her and say 'bad flag, no'. I do this to reinforce her training.

There are U-tube videos on training to stay inside an electric fence, good tips.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page