Obedience classes/CGC...separate classes or together? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Obedience classes/CGC...separate classes or together?

Going to be registering the girls here in the next couple of weeks (still have to do some more research on where I want to go and what availability is). So, one of the questions that came up were if I wanted to register the girls together in a class or set them up separately? I am kind of torn on this, because the practical part of me wants to do it together (less time lost, less commute, etc). But, then I read that it's preferable to sometimes train dogs in the same household separately. Lena is a little softer, very motivated though, but listens "fairly" well (still gets overly happy about kids, and recall can be a little harder since she loves them). Della is a bit different. She's not soft at all, and extremely motivated. She needs a lot more work than Lena, so this also makes me more inclined to schedule them into separate classes. Can I get some opinions? Is it always better to do these things separately or is it more of a judgment call based on the individual dog's disposition?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:01 PM
Crowned Member

I would do separate classes with them.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax08 View Post
I would do separate classes with them.
Ok thank you for helping me make my decision lol. I figured it would probably be much easier on myself in the long run and the girls if I did this separately. This is what I shall do then
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 02:11 PM

I too would do separate classes. Too much distraction with them both in the same class.

Gone to the Dogs, Pat
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-23-2014, 03:28 PM
Crowned Member

I have a woman in my agility class that brings two dogs. Both dogs are so vocal when the other runs it drives everyone nuts. Several times the dog running was distracted by the dog left on the fence.

I've noticed, when the woman makes an error with one dog, she seems to repeat the error with the other. I don't know if it's sticking in her head or if she's losing her concentration because her other dog (on the fence) is barking it's fool head off.

Personally, I'd only bring one dog at a time. Unless I had back to back classes and each dog settles quietly (and safely) in a crate in the car.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-24-2014, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilie View Post
I have a woman in my agility class that brings two dogs. Both dogs are so vocal when the other runs it drives everyone nuts. Several times the dog running was distracted by the dog left on the fence.

I've noticed, when the woman makes an error with one dog, she seems to repeat the error with the other. I don't know if it's sticking in her head or if she's losing her concentration because her other dog (on the fence) is barking it's fool head off.

Personally, I'd only bring one dog at a time. Unless I had back to back classes and each dog settles quietly (and safely) in a crate in the car.
Thank you Lilie, this was something I had not considered, but is a great point. For myself personally, I don't want it to be a distraction not just for myself, but for the others that are also enrolled. I don't want to be the person that has the "annoying" dogs lol. I also want to get the most out of it and the girls too. I think that doing separate classes will be okay. Depending on the scheduling, I might be able to do it where my husband also comes with me, so it's not just one or the other solo. Well, I'm sold then! Separate classes it is
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page