Transferring Ball Drive - German Shepherd Dog Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 08:43 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
annap24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 364
Transferring Ball Drive

Does anyone have any experience with transferring ball drive to another sort of toy/activity such as tug? Reagan LOVES the ball and playing fetch, but she can't exactly do that in a training environment with other dogs around. She ignores food, so I was hoping to try tug. Unfortunately, she doesn't seem to show any interest in it. We even tried a ball on a rope and she didn't seem to care. Is it possible to transfer her ball drive to tug drive?
annap24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:01 PM
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 27,280
I'd do a ball on string with a tease up then possibly transfer to a two handle tug or even the chuckit zipflight frisbee. My dog loves that, and I can toss it, tug with it then tuck it under my arm with ease. Very durable too.
Whatever you choose:
Tease her up, don't let her get it. Backtie her and kick it around away from her so she's frustrated/not able to reach it.
Then when you get to training, she'll be ramped up for it with a few misses/tugs.
If the training environment doesn't allow for encouraging engagement and enthusiasm, I'd go elsewhere. You don't need to throw the toy, and the dog is still next to you while tugging. I see no reason that you can't use a toy to build drive when training?

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11.08.06-9.28.18
onyx'girl is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
annap24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
I'd do a ball on string with a tease up then possibly transfer to a two handle tug or even the chuckit zipflight frisbee. My dog loves that, and I can toss it, tug with it then tuck it under my arm with ease. Very durable too.
Whatever you choose:
Tease her up, don't let her get it. Backtie her and kick it around away from her so she's frustrated/not able to reach it.
Then when you get to training, she'll be ramped up for it with a few misses/tugs.
If the training environment doesn't allow for encouraging engagement and enthusiasm, I'd go elsewhere. You don't need to throw the toy, and the dog is still next to you while tugging. I see no reason that you can't use a toy to build drive when training?
I'll try teasing her and see if that helps! My training environment definitely promotes encouraging engagement and enthusiasm. My trainer is wanting to try and implement tug into the reward for Reagan. The problem is with the ball I really can't reward her without throwing it because if I just hand it to her she doesn't care and I can't tug with just a ball. I'll work on teasing her at home this week and see how she does!
annap24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:17 PM
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 27,280
Get a ball on string, or other interactive tug. I don't know if you'll find one in a pet store, most good ones are from online vendors. Though the chuckit is found easily enough.
Hallmark K9 - Premium Dog Training Equipment - BALLS
Elite Working Balls with T-tug Handle-Elite K-9
Gatordog has a great(green) ball that I'd invest in:
https://www.facebook.com/HITK9?fref=ts

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11.08.06-9.28.18
onyx'girl is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 09:42 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 88
Some dogs will also have different levels of "possession" and retrieve drive. You cannot really put in what is not there. The dog just may not have drive to tug. My current dog loves to run after the ball, and would rather just keep it for himself. I have taught him to bring it back and interact with me a little bit, but what he finds rewarding is the chase, so I work mostly with that. My last dog was completely different, he wanted to bring back whatever toy I was using and fight with me. I see a lot of people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Assuming your dog is not a puppy, If the dog shows zero interest in playing tug, they never will have much drive to tug. I have not seen your dog, so I don't know this to be true, but by trying to get the dog to tug, you may actually damage the relationship a little bit. Ultimately, you will have to work with what you have. Short retrieves can be a powerful motivator to some dogs.

Good Luck!

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wolfmanusf is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
annap24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmanusf View Post
Some dogs will also have different levels of "possession" and retrieve drive. You cannot really put in what is not there. The dog just may not have drive to tug. My current dog loves to run after the ball, and would rather just keep it for himself. I have taught him to bring it back and interact with me a little bit, but what he finds rewarding is the chase, so I work mostly with that. My last dog was completely different, he wanted to bring back whatever toy I was using and fight with me. I see a lot of people trying to fit a square peg into a round hole. Assuming your dog is not a puppy, If the dog shows zero interest in playing tug, they never will have much drive to tug. I have not seen your dog, so I don't know this to be true, but by trying to get the dog to tug, you may actually damage the relationship a little bit. Ultimately, you will have to work with what you have. Short retrieves can be a powerful motivator to some dogs.

Good Luck!
Thanks for the advice! Reagan is a 2 year old GSD that I adopted recently. She does like to tug (with my other dog) but if I give even the slightest resistance she immediately releases. She definitely loves the chase but she willingly brings the ball back to go again. Short retrieves are great for training with her, but I'm looking for something in a class setting with other dogs around. I tried just bouncing it next to her for her to catch, but she likes to bat it around and it ends up bouncing across the room so I'm trying to find an alternative.
annap24 is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:38 PM
Crowned Member
 
onyx'girl's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: SW, MI
Posts: 27,280
If you have recently adopted her, she is probably deferring to you....showing respect. I'd get her going, ramp her up/pat her sides some to show her she can get a bit higher, let her win as you build her confidence.
Some dogs are inhibited because they don't know what to expect. I have a dog that won't tug with me at all. She's one that will bully the other dogs yet won't stay in the game with me. She will tug with the other dogs, but not me. I took away some of her much needed confidence due to my lacking knowledge(she was fear aggressive and my trainer was compulsion based) I learned quickly, but it was too late during that imprinting stage of Onyx's foundation.

Jane~
Kept by
Gambit zu Treuen Handen

Guinness auf der Marquis...Karlo son!

Always in my heart
Karlo aka Gideon vom Wildhaus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
3.02.09~12.03.18
Kacie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
7.21.05-5.01.15
Onyx
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
11.08.06-9.28.18

Last edited by onyx'girl; 10-20-2014 at 10:40 PM.
onyx'girl is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:52 PM
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by annap24 View Post
Thanks for the advice! Reagan is a 2 year old GSD that I adopted recently. She does like to tug (with my other dog) but if I give even the slightest resistance she immediately releases. She definitely loves the chase but she willingly brings the ball back to go again. Short retrieves are great for training with her, but I'm looking for something in a class setting with other dogs around. I tried just bouncing it next to her for her to catch, but she likes to bat it around and it ends up bouncing across the room so I'm trying to find an alternative.
No problem. In this case, I might try the following if teasing her doesn't work: Attach some sort of line to the tug. See if you can initiate the two dogs tugging with each other. If so, grab the line and SLOWLY join the game between the two. From your description, she may very well be deferring to you, so it is important that you join the game slowly. Once she realizes you are playing along praise her quietly and calmly if she holds onto the tug. From there, increase pressure on the line, praise, etc.... It is better to move too slowly than too quickly with this.

Disclaimer: I have no idea if this will work or not. I have not personally done this, but I think it is worth a shot based off your description of the dog.

Good Luck.

Check out my website dedicated to IPO/Schutzhund:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
wolfmanusf is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 10-20-2014, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Senior Member
 
annap24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Northeast GA
Posts: 364
Quote:
Originally Posted by onyx'girl View Post
If you have recently adopted her, she is probably deferring to you....showing respect. I'd get her going, ramp her up/pat her sides some to show her she can get a bit higher, let her win as you build her confidence.
Some dogs are inhibited because they don't know what to expect. I have a dog that won't tug with me at all. She's one that will bully the other dogs yet won't stay in the game with me. She will tug with the other dogs, but not me. I took away some of her much needed confidence due to my lacking knowledge(she was fear aggressive and my trainer was compulsion based) I learned quickly, but it was too late during that imprinting stage of Onyx's foundation.

I adopted her in May. I definitely think she defers out of respect. She is very obedient and loyal. I try to only use positive training with her because she has some pretty intense anxiety about new places and new dogs. She really lacks confidence, but like your dog she is a bit of a bully to my other dog so it's strange. I will work on building up her confidence more and see if that helps with tug. It just worries me because her confidence is lowest and anxiety is highest in training classes, which is where tug would be very beneficial.
annap24 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome