What Form of Corrections Do You Use? - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

What Form of Corrections Do You Use?

This is probably a controversial subject but I am curious what form of corrections do you use on your dog? Prong collar? Electric collar? Lead tugs? Physical tap/slap/hit/poke? Loud noise? A "no" kind of word? None at all?

How would you correct your dog if you did not have any tools at hand (such as no lead or electric collar)?

Have you ever had a dog that retaliated at a correction?

Have you ever had a dog that required harsh corrections because it did not "sink in"?

How do you convey the "no" command?

Have you ever had a dog that didn't even need corrections?

When is the best time to apply a correction? Why do we say "correction" instead of "punish"?

Why do some people think it is fine to use a prong or electric collar but are not comfortable using physical corrections on their dog?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:16 AM
Crowned Member

I have found that by continually shaping behavior that I want, instead of correcting what I don't want, throughout the day, in every interaction, I rarely have to correct a dog on an individual basis, with anything other than a reminder to do what they know they are supposed to do.

Of course, with all these dogs, if I didn't have a comprehensive behavior plan, I'd be in trouble!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:27 AM
Elite Member

This is probably a controversial subject but I am curious what form of corrections do you use on your dog? Prong collar? Electric collar? Lead tugs? Physical tap/slap/hit/poke? Loud noise? A "no" kind of word? None at all?

prong on walks in the neighborhood, Ecollar for advanced obedience off leash group classes, nothing but voice while off leash in rural areas.

How would you correct your dog if you did not have any tools at hand (such as no lead or electric collar)?

voice

no

Have you ever had a dog that required harsh corrections because it did not "sink in"?

no

with balls/deep thunderous voice

no

When is the best time to apply a correction? Why do we say "correction" instead of "punish"?

immediately. correction is changing the dog's focus. punish is a time out.

Why do some people think it is fine to use a prong or electric collar but are not comfortable using physical corrections on their dog?

prong and Ecollar are both physical correction when the dog is more than arms length away so i don't get the question.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 08:35 AM
Crowned Member

I am curious what form of corrections do you use on your dog? Prong collar? Electric collar? Lead tugs? Physical tap/slap/hit/poke? Loud noise? A "no" kind of word? None at all?
Verbal, prong, other physical (like if my dog is trying to rush the door, a little hip check paired with a sit/down-wait command)

Verbal, even my hard dogs understand my tone of voice when I am displeased. I also use a lot of managing/manipulating the situation so that the dog is only able to make the right choice, but that is not a correction per se.

No

Depends on mental state. During protection a correction looks different than when my dog is standing in the yard starting to dig a hole.

I say "no"

No

When is the best time to apply a correction? Why do we say "correction" instead of "punish"? Depends on if we're talking +P, -P or -R. -R is actually a "reinforcer" but people often lump this in with "corrections" because an aversive is used. By definition, a "punishment" is +P or -P and decreases a behavior. A "reinforcer" increases the behavior even if the tool used is aversive (prong collar, e-collar).

To me a prong collar and e-collar *are* physical corrections.
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 09:49 AM
Crowned Member

I use leash pops, pinch collar, e-collar, voice, it all depends on what I'm doing and what I have at my disposal.

Voice, or my body. I generally try not to put myself in this situation. If the dog is off lead and electric, than I have already established enough trust in the dog to not need a correction in that particular situation.

I don't tolerate handler aggression! To help prevent this, all correction must be fair and clear to the dog on why it's being corrected. Majority of the time dog's come up the leash do to the dog feeling it was unfairly corrected.

Yes, I have worked some stubborn dogs. But first you must make sure the dog has a full understanding of what you're asking it to do before you step up in correction.

Something I establish as a puppy. Not with a correction of sorts, but more with teaching it what I want instead. I'm having a hard time explaining this one. Easier to show than explain.

My current puppy so far has not needed hard corrections. I have spent a lot of time explaining what I expect of her and so far that's been working. As she gets older I can already see the time coming when she will need a reminder, but for now this has been working.

When the behavior needing correcting is happening. If a second has gone by, then you're too late.

Those are physical correction IMO. If you're talking about hands on, then I don't like to do that. It can cause conflict with the dog. Almost making it too personal. If I amp it up and put hands on the dog then where is the explanation that it can't do the same to me? That's just how I see it.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mycobraracr View Post

Those are physical correction IMO. If you're talking about hands on, then I don't like to do that. It can cause conflict with the dog. Almost making it too personal. If I amp it up and put hands on the dog then where is the explanation that it can't do the same to me? That's just how I see it.
Ayup, sorry about the incorrect use of words! I meant hands on corrections.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:09 AM
Crowned Member

I do not use prongs or e-collars. I do not use any form of physical correction (tap/slap/hit/poke). I may use a loud noise if my dog is a great distance from me. I use the tone of my voice and body language with my dogs. They learn this by setting them up to succeed as puppies through repetition. And continually proofing your dogs.

I ask my dogs to remain at my side so I can help them avoid the unwanted behavior again. (Like chasing the horses.) Give them the opportunity to settle before releasing them again.

Only with a dog that I knew already was unstable.

Never.

I use the tone of my voice and my body language. I'll say "eh!" or "Leave it".
To my dogs, that means to stop their current behavior right now.

No, not until they were solid.

At the moment the dog has offered the unwanted behavior. My 'correction' does not include the use of any gimmicks or physical tools. My correction is vocal or body language.

I couldn't say, I've never had to use either.

Hondo Von Dopplet L Bauernhof "Hondo"- GSD
Lilie's Tug McGraw "Tug" - Golden Retriever
Maggie - Mini Dachshund (Rescue)
Lonestar Pivo - Texas Blue Lacy
Ashe - Barn Cat
Katie / APHA
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:12 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yoshi View Post
Depends on the dog, depends on the situation, depends on the goals. I have trained a lot of dogs. None have been the same.

Quote:
With my voice for the most part.

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Depends on what you consider "harsh". Some dogs have needed more reminders that we will do things my way and not their way than others.

Quote:
"No" or "eh-eh", but there is a relationship and mutual respect so the dog understands to comply.

Quote:
No.

Quote:
Again, it depends. Correction vs. punishment? A matter of schematics.

Quote:

Both are physical corrections.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:17 AM
Administrator & LOTR Addict

For the last question that you clarified, I don't know. A pinch is a lot more personal than the E though the dogs are fully aware of who is correcting them.

Lisa Clark

SG1 Deja IPO3 AWD1 KKL1 B/HOT, SG Elena IPO1 KKL CGC B/HOT, LB (the ugly little sable) IPO2 KKL B/HOT, and gone but not forgotten,
Vala SchH3 AWD1 FH2 CGC B/HOT, Donovan IPO1 TR2 AD, Nike SchH1 OB1 TR3 AD CGC HOT, Treue SchH3 CD CGC HOT

post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 10-14-2014, 10:41 AM
Knighted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanKBBMMMAAN View Post
I have found that by continually shaping behavior that I want, instead of correcting what I don't want, throughout the day, in every interaction, I rarely have to correct a dog on an individual basis, with anything other than a reminder to do what they know they are supposed to do.

Of course, with all these dogs, if I didn't have a comprehensive behavior plan, I'd be in trouble!
This ^

Lisl rarely if ever needs a correction. Sometimes it's just a matter of paying attention.

"Now pay attention Bond..."

Bear, Anna, Molly, Ossie, and The Countess Lisl von Schlaf

An Unhappy German is a Sour Kraut!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page