Leerburg Article - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Leerburg Article

Just had this article/blog sent to me, pretty interesting read.

Leerburg Dog Training | The Problem with All-Positive Dog Training
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 01:41 PM
The Agility Rocks! Moderator

Good article but just so you know, that just cause you train 'positive' doesn't mean there aren't consequences And many of us that promote positive training also do add some corrections and clarity to the mix.

Common Dog Training Mistakes - Whole Dog Journal Article

Quote:
Mistake #1: “Positive = permissive”
You may hear non-positive trainers insist that there has to be a negative consequence for a dog’s inappropriate behavior or he’ll never learn what’s not allowed. It might surprise you to hear that positive trainers don’t disagree. We just differ on the nature of the consequence. A well-implemented positive training program combines good management, to prevent the dog from having the opportunity to be reinforced for undesirable behavior, and negative punishment, in which the dog’s inappropriate behavior makes a good thing go away.
Positive Does NOT Mean Permissive « Boulder Dog

For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend - Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., - Google Books

Love Michael Ellis who works with leerburg cause he uses treats and toys EVERYWHERE! But appropriately and clearly so the dogs understand.

I hear so many people who REFUSE to use treats or toys because 'my dog HAS to listen to me BECAUSE' and poo poo positive methods. These people are just as bad as the 'purely positive' people who don't understand the method and are permissive and let their dogs get away with murder.

Miss Osin Blue Wildhaus NA NAJ NF

"Nothing new can come into your life unless you are grateful for what you already have. ~ "--- Michael Bernhard, gratitude
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 02:19 PM Thread Starter
Elite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieRoseLee View Post
Good article but just so you know, that just cause you train 'positive' doesn't mean there aren't consequences And many of us that promote positive training also do add some corrections and clarity to the mix.

Common Dog Training Mistakes - Whole Dog Journal Article

Positive Does NOT Mean Permissive « Boulder Dog

For the Love of a Dog: Understanding Emotion in You and Your Best Friend - Patricia McConnell, Ph.D., - Google Books

Love Michael Ellis who works with leerburg cause he uses treats and toys EVERYWHERE! But appropriately and clearly so the dogs understand.

I hear so many people who REFUSE to use treats or toys because 'my dog HAS to listen to me BECAUSE' and poo poo positive methods. These people are just as bad as the 'purely positive' people who don't understand the method and are permissive and let their dogs get away with murder.
Agreed that people who refuse to use treats or toys are just the opposite end of the extreme and just as bad...

I don't think he was talking about people who use positive and consequences. He explains exactly the type of trainers he is speaking of.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-12-2014, 04:31 PM
Elite Member

Just ordered For the love a dog on my Kindle. I liked the preview pages from the link. In a few weeks Simon and I are starting an obedience class with three other dogs given by a behavioralist who is also a vet tech. The first session we don't bring dogs so it will be interesting to hear Monique's philosophy.

I am doing nose work at this facility and the nose work instructor is excellent and low key. I really like calm people. I thought I'd give obedience a try there.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page