week 2 of nose work - German Shepherd Dog Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

week 2 of nose work

Roxy so far is the only one that seems to "get it" ....won't heel worth a crap but this seems to be right up her alley...which is kind of what everybody who has watched her in action has told me.

I am putting together my own nose work kits now. We are on week 2 of birch.

going down to the building tomorrow to work on it some more.

any suggestions/tips/ ideas on how to progress to other areas of this if she continues to ace it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

ps the heeling has nothing to do with the nose work...was just comparing that in Monday night's obedience class -- she is the clown and wants to play....

Thursday night we go in and it's like she knows we mean business and it's work time ....totally different dog on two different nights of the week
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 12:02 AM
Elite Member

Work outside. Go to other peoples' houses to do searches. Work at different elevations. Hide the scent under clothes, paper, etc.

The instructor says our class is moving to more complexity at a fast rate because all three dogs are so good. Two GSDs and a Doberman--go figure!

Dogs love it!! The obedience part the dogs figure out. For example, all three dogs this week loved this one stuffed toy and would pick it up and carry it around. Unfortunately, dogs cannot search (use their noses) with something in their mouths, so all the dogs learned it wasn't worth it and dropped the toy on their own. The dogs figured that out themselves.

Moriah
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

we have the two GSDs in class -- Roxy and another ..and then a lab and golden retriever ....

the other GSD wants to play -- has no desire to "search"
the golden retriever picks up the box the scent is in and carries it around
and the lab runs from box to box to object to object till he "finds it" and gets food fed

Roxy sniffs and finds it. The trainer hid it in an orange cone last week and Roxy stuck her nose right down in the hole of it.
This is the same dog who I kid you not ...every morning she's on a "search" for the clump of hay that I don't want her eating...and she finds it. Doesn't matter where I hide it in the yard.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Elite Member

Yes!! Goooood girl! Roxy wanted to go down the cone to get the scent!!!! (Who cares if only her nose fits....)

I throw out a cup of kibble in the yard everyday and my boy loves finding it. Keeps him busy for a while.

Sounds like Roxy will be a great competitor. I understand it takes about a year to be competition ready.

Moriah
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

I hope it continues to be such a success -- I just want her confidence level to build..she's really very smart -- just not a show off....we do all the stuff for obedience at home but when we get to class it's just too amped up for her.
This is a small class and since everybody else goes to their crate while the others are working that's even better for her. She's even being really good about being in the crate waiting her turn.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter
Master Member

the trainer gave us homework of going down to the building and taping the scented q-tips to paper plates and then taping those to the white wall. That's what we are headed down to do this afternoon and we are supposed to video it if we can.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-28-2014, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Master Member

Roxy nose work 9/2/2014 - YouTube

from today's practice -- Roxy was more concerned with my daughter taping us...but she still did a few head snaps ..mainly after we rested for 5 and then went back in and of course wasn't taping it sigh
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2014, 11:21 AM
Knighted Member

Don't be in a rush to progress too quickly. Changing locations to outdoor hides, different buildings etc is a lot more challenging, you don't want to frustrate a young/green dog by asking too much. You want them to continue to be successful and build their confidence, slowly increasing the difficulty of the hides.

Ideally, you will start adding some items in the same building you're training in, like some containers, then maybe add a chair or small table in between containers etc. Rome wasn't built in a day. GSD's are naturals at this kind of thing, you'll progress faster than you think if you don't skip steps. Just stick to the plan your trainer gives you.

A little tip, keep your feet moving. Some dogs start to rely on their handler's body language to tell them where the hide is.

If she's starting at your daughter taping, just give her command to search again, maybe tap the wall and get her moving to get her mind back on the job. Be proactive.

Looks like you guys are doing great so far, keep it up!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the German Shepherd Dog Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page